Date   

Re: Cheap frequency counter

yahoomail@...
 

Walter;
I almost bought one similar last week.  
There are two or three styles currently on eBay.
The seller feedback ratings were not great (China) so I wasn't sure I was ready to risk an ENTIRE $15 and 3 weeks of waiting.
I still may try it.
I'd like to add one to the SS40RX/TX combo.
72,
-Ed, WG5F-


Cheap frequency counter

Walter - K5EST
 

Dale - W4OP via QRP-L posted a frequency counter on eBay

<http://www.ebay.com/itm/111243709316?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fsch%2FToys-Hobbies-%2F220%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D111243709316%26_rdc%3D1>

In case the URL doesn't work the item # is 111243709316 in toys and hobbies.

Don't know good, bad, or ugly of them but at $15.00 ????

:.......Walter Dufrain - K5EST......:
KX-3..FT-817..OHR100..MFJ Cub
Alex magnetic loop by PY1AHD
4SQRP. Navy ARC . SLQS . SKCC
Community Service Radio Club
:..................................................:


Re: Twin Bridges

Tom Sevart
 

On 10/05/2014 20:47, yahoomail@... [4sqrp] wrote:
Tom;

Karen's got a PawPals (Therapy Dog) team she leads this next weekend.
So - either of the other two weekends would probably be best for us.
(If others were planing for this coming weekend however, we might be
able to make it by late afternoon or early evening.)
Assuming the 18th, I'll use next weekend to get my gear in shape for
camping.
We haven't attempted camping without the PopUp trailer in over 10 years.
Gotta think about and find everything we need!
Anyone else interested in playing radio in the State Park?
I think the 18th would work better than this coming weekend. Either that or the 25th. I think this weekend might be a little hectic.

I haven't heard that anyone else is interested but I'd like to see at least a small group of us get together down there for one last radio camp out this year.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS


Re: Twin Bridges

yahoomail@...
 

Tom;
Karen's got a PawPals (Therapy Dog) team she leads this next weekend.
So - either of the other two weekends would probably be best for us.
(If others were planing for this coming weekend however, we might be able to make it by late afternoon or early evening.)
Assuming the 18th, I'll use next weekend to get my gear in shape for camping.  
We haven't attempted camping without the PopUp trailer in over 10 years.  
Gotta think about and find everything we need! 
Anyone else interested in playing radio in the State Park?
72,
-Ed, WG5F-
Tulsa


Ozark Patrol problems

David Wilcox
 

Jim, Paul and others who have responded,
I saw the first error of my ways when I printed out the new manual. I was going by the manual I printed out from version 1 six months ago or more.
I now can see that they eliminated the gimmick capacitor at C9, added the electrolytic capacitor across the regeneration control, and corrected an error in the wiring to the headphone switch.
Now I have a much smoother regeneration control and the 5 to 12 MHz segment seems to work quite well. Thanks for the suggestions and I wished I had known about the new updated instruction manual.
My new problem is on the 3 to 5 MHz range it will only oscillate for a 10th of a second as I turn the regeneration control and for a very slight period of time I can hear activity in the 75 m ham band but the regeneration does not continue. I have to keep wiggling the regeneration control in and out of oscillation. Any suggestions?
Also how come the band change switch is upside down and the regeneration control is backwards? I have the switch flipped down to get the upper frequency range and up to get the lower frequency range. Also I have to turn the regeneration control completely clockwise and then rotate it counter clockwise to the point of oscillation. Maybe that will be corrected in the next round. I can rewire both to my satisfaction.
 
So, if someone can help me get the regeneration to work on the lower frequency band I will be like a kid again with my Philmore radio that I built with my dad.
 
Dave K8WPE


Re: Looking for ham doing SMT as service

Don Jackson
 

BINGO! Yes, he's the one I was thinking of, thanks Charlie. And thanks too to the several others who either volunteered or gave me a lead.

Don AE5K

On 10/05/2014 05:57 PM, 'Charlie , W5COV' @w5cov [4sqrp] wrote:


OOOPS Sorry that should be KD4PBJ

Charlie, W5COV


On 10/5/2014 5:51 PM, 'Charlie , W5COV' @w5cov [4sqrp] wrote:

I "think" that you may be looking for Chris, KB4PBJ .

http://www.smt-solutions.net/2001.html

Charlie, W5COV


Re: Ozark Patrol build problem

WA0ITP
 

Dave, the 1.0u cap at C13 is specified both in the manual and on the schematic. There is a large picture near the middle of the manual showing the installation of C13. As Jim says, it will make big difference.

I think Dave C. made those updates. I know he changed the C9 Gimmick to a 4.7 NP0, but left C12 a gimmick to encourage the builder to find the lightest coupling. Not sure abt the audio jack.

Hope this helps.

On 10/5/2014 6:45 PM, Jim Kortge jim.k8iqy@... [4sqrp] wrote:

On 10/5/2014 10:41 AM, David Wilcox @K8WPE [4sqrp] wrote:

Guys and Gals,
I just finished the Ozark Patrol and it went together easily, but
can't get consistent regeneration. From the get go the regen pot
sounded like an old pot on an old radio that was dirty (scratchy). I
have cleaned it twice with CRC contact cleaner and no change. If you
don't think that is the problem what else could it be? I haven't
checked the voltages yet per the trouble shooting guide ( my batteries
are new and measure 9.4 volts ) but this "dirty pot sound" was so
obvious. I really hesitate to blame the pot but I can't get an even
variable regeneration with what I have. Any advice?
It is the pot, but it can't be fixed with CRC cleaner or anything of
the like. The issue is that small changes in pot noise for movement
are getting amplified by the reflex circuits and makes the pot sound
really noisy. I solved it by adding a 1uF tantalum cap from the
higher voltage terminal of the pot to the center wiper terminal and
all of the noise went away. I reported that phenomenon to the 4 State
gang but I guess that observation got lost.

I could hear a
few very weak stations speaking Spanish around 9 mHz.
Second problem. When I plug in a pair of headphones (Walkman style or
my good Sony studio head set) I get nothing unless I ground #4 on the
jack pin with a jumper. There is a tab (looks like a grounding tab)
where the jack is fastened to the board with no wire attached. I
assume that is grounded by pressure to the board and needs no wire.
What are your thoughts?
I don't remember any issues with the jack mounting when my receiver
was built, only the wiring of the transformer to the jack that would
not switch off the speaker and connect the phones.


I'm not sure how your headphones are wired, but the ones that I used
were find, BUT, the is an error in the wiring of the output
transformer secondary to the jack. I also reported that on the unit
that I built but I guess that piece of information was also overlooked.

Audio seems down on the speaker.
When you get on a strong station there will be plenty of audio for the
speaker, but phones work a lot better when the jack wiring is
corrected. I'm hoping 4 State will publish an online addendum for the
manual.

I questioned the output transformer
installation but the "P" side is connected to the board as per
instructions. Anyone found the red tape with the "P" label on it
backwards from the factory?
The transformer is OK.

I am using my MFJ G5 RV antenna that is my main shack antenna and a
good shack ground.
Dave K8WPE
For what it is worth, I also replaced both of the gimmic capacitors
with 4.7 pF ceramic NP0 units and the receiver was much better and
selectivity and audio output. I thought that change was also going to
be made to the kit.

72,

Jim, K8IQY



------------------------------------

------------------------------------

4SQRP Website: http://4sqrp.com
OzarkCon is coming April 4-5, 2014 in Branson, MO
View Details at http://www.ozarkcon.com/index.php
------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links



--
72 WA�ITP
I love this radio stuff.
www.wa0itp.com
wa0itp@...
www.4sqrp.com


Re: Ozark Patrol build problem

Jim Kortge
 

On 10/5/2014 10:41 AM, David Wilcox @K8WPE [4sqrp] wrote:


Guys and Gals,
I just finished the Ozark Patrol and it went together easily, but
can't get consistent regeneration. From the get go the regen pot
sounded like an old pot on an old radio that was dirty (scratchy). I
have cleaned it twice with CRC contact cleaner and no change. If you
don't think that is the problem what else could it be? I haven't
checked the voltages yet per the trouble shooting guide ( my batteries
are new and measure 9.4 volts ) but this "dirty pot sound" was so
obvious. I really hesitate to blame the pot but I can't get an even
variable regeneration with what I have. Any advice?
It is the pot, but it can't be fixed with CRC cleaner or anything of the like. The issue is that small changes in pot noise for movement are getting amplified by the reflex circuits and makes the pot sound really noisy. I solved it by adding a 1uF tantalum cap from the higher voltage terminal of the pot to the center wiper terminal and all of the noise went away. I reported that phenomenon to the 4 State gang but I guess that observation got lost.

I could hear a
few very weak stations speaking Spanish around 9 mHz.
Second problem. When I plug in a pair of headphones (Walkman style or
my good Sony studio head set) I get nothing unless I ground #4 on the
jack pin with a jumper. There is a tab (looks like a grounding tab)
where the jack is fastened to the board with no wire attached. I
assume that is grounded by pressure to the board and needs no wire.
What are your thoughts?
I don't remember any issues with the jack mounting when my receiver was built, only the wiring of the transformer to the jack that would not switch off the speaker and connect the phones.


I'm not sure how your headphones are wired, but the ones that I used were find, BUT, the is an error in the wiring of the output transformer secondary to the jack. I also reported that on the unit that I built but I guess that piece of information was also overlooked.

Audio seems down on the speaker.
When you get on a strong station there will be plenty of audio for the speaker, but phones work a lot better when the jack wiring is corrected. I'm hoping 4 State will publish an online addendum for the manual.

I questioned the output transformer
installation but the "P" side is connected to the board as per
instructions. Anyone found the red tape with the "P" label on it
backwards from the factory?
The transformer is OK.

I am using my MFJ G5 RV antenna that is my main shack antenna and a
good shack ground.
Dave K8WPE
For what it is worth, I also replaced both of the gimmic capacitors with 4.7 pF ceramic NP0 units and the receiver was much better and selectivity and audio output. I thought that change was also going to be made to the kit.

72,

Jim, K8IQY


CQ CQ CQ /p

Johnny AC0BQ
 

I am back on the air at 7.122 
/p from Eureka Springs AR
72 
Johnny AC0BQ



--
QRP....."more smiles per watt"
72
JOHNNY AC0BQ  ..


Re: Looking for ham doing SMT as service

Charlie Vest
 

OOOPS Sorry that should be KD4PBJ

Charlie, W5COV


On 10/5/2014 5:51 PM, 'Charlie , W5COV' cvest@... [4sqrp] wrote:
 

I "think" that you may be looking for Chris, KB4PBJ .

http://www.smt-solutions.net/2001.html

Charlie, W5COV


On 10/5/2014 12:51 PM, Don AE5K donj@... [4sqrp] wrote:
 

Quite some time ago, on one of the lists I receive, there was a
gentleman who said he was doing surface mount work and, for a fee, would
do work for hams. I believe he had a "4" in his call, but not sure. I
filed away his info, but have not found it again.

I had a PCB manufactured which needs a small IC mounted. It is in one
of those packages with leadless connections and about 6x6 mm footprint
and with a heatsink/ground pad on bottom. I believe it is beyond my
capability, even with my reflow oven.

Rather than trying to troubleshoot a new circuit design which has the
possibility of my not mounting this part correctly, I'd like to pay
someone to do the mounting for me.

If you are this person, or know of him, please let me know. I tried and
tried searching lists, web, and my notes, but apparently I haven't hit
on the correct search terms yet.

73,
Don AE5K





This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.






This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.



Re: Looking for ham doing SMT as service

Charlie Vest
 

I "think" that you may be looking for Chris, KB4PBJ .

http://www.smt-solutions.net/2001.html

Charlie, W5COV


On 10/5/2014 12:51 PM, Don AE5K donj@... [4sqrp] wrote:
 

Quite some time ago, on one of the lists I receive, there was a
gentleman who said he was doing surface mount work and, for a fee, would
do work for hams. I believe he had a "4" in his call, but not sure. I
filed away his info, but have not found it again.

I had a PCB manufactured which needs a small IC mounted. It is in one
of those packages with leadless connections and about 6x6 mm footprint
and with a heatsink/ground pad on bottom. I believe it is beyond my
capability, even with my reflow oven.

Rather than trying to troubleshoot a new circuit design which has the
possibility of my not mounting this part correctly, I'd like to pay
someone to do the mounting for me.

If you are this person, or know of him, please let me know. I tried and
tried searching lists, web, and my notes, but apparently I haven't hit
on the correct search terms yet.

73,
Don AE5K





This email is free from viruses and malware because avast! Antivirus protection is active.



Looking for ham doing SMT as service

Don Jackson
 

Quite some time ago, on one of the lists I receive, there was a gentleman who said he was doing surface mount work and, for a fee, would do work for hams. I believe he had a "4" in his call, but not sure. I filed away his info, but have not found it again.

I had a PCB manufactured which needs a small IC mounted. It is in one of those packages with leadless connections and about 6x6 mm footprint and with a heatsink/ground pad on bottom. I believe it is beyond my capability, even with my reflow oven.

Rather than trying to troubleshoot a new circuit design which has the possibility of my not mounting this part correctly, I'd like to pay someone to do the mounting for me.

If you are this person, or know of him, please let me know. I tried and tried searching lists, web, and my notes, but apparently I haven't hit on the correct search terms yet.

73,
Don AE5K


Oz Patrol

David Wilcox
 

Thank Paul,
 
I will try it.  With the scratchy pot I can't control the regeneration.  Hope it works.
 
Dave K8WPE


Back later

Johnny AC0BQ
 

headed to Breakfast 
Be back later.
Thanks for the Qso Wayne.
72
Johnny 


--
QRP....."more smiles per watt"
72
JOHNNY AC0BQ  ..


Re: CQ cq CQ

Paul Smith
 

Johnny, I can hear u but you can't hear me I guess...

de Paul N0NBD



On Oct 5, 2014, at 9:44 AM, Johnny Matlock jomatlock@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

 

I am on the air @7.122 /p frm Eureka Springs AR.

72
Johnny AC0BQ



--
QRP....."more smiles per watt"
72
JOHNNY AC0BQ  ..


Re: Ozark Patrol build problem

Paul Smith
 

David,
I am sure someone more learned than I will jump in but I cleared up the scratch in my Regen pot with a 1 mfd cap across the center  and left  tabs on the pot. It made all the difference.... The designer monsters this board and may have more help. Enjoy it I have been listening to mine quite a bit. In the evenings I can usually find CW signals in the 40 meter area of the dial

de Paul N0NBD



On Oct 5, 2014, at 9:41 AM, David Wilcox djwilcox01@... [4sqrp] <4sqrp@...> wrote:

 

Guys and Gals,
 
I just finished the Ozark Patrol and it went together easily, but can't get consistent regeneration. From the get go the regen pot sounded like an old pot on an old radio that was dirty (scratchy). I have cleaned it twice with CRC contact cleaner and no change. If you don't think that is the problem what else could it be? I haven't checked the voltages yet per the trouble shooting guide ( my batteries are new and measure 9.4 volts ) but this "dirty pot sound" was so obvious. I really hesitate to blame the pot but I can't get an even variable regeneration with what I have.  Any advice?  I could hear a few very weak stations speaking Spanish around 9 mHz.
Second problem. When I plug in a pair of headphones (Walkman style or my good Sony studio head set) I get nothing unless I ground #4 on the jack pin with a jumper. There is a tab (looks like a grounding tab) where the jack is fastened  to the board with no wire attached. I assume that is grounded by pressure to the board and needs no wire.  What are your thoughts?
 
Audio seems down on the speaker.  I questioned the output transformer installation but the "P" side is connected to the board as per instructions.  Anyone found the red tape with the "P" label on it backwards from the factory? 
 
I am using my MFJ G5 RV antenna that is my main shack antenna and a good shack ground.
 
Dave K8WPE


Re: Twin Bridges

yahoomail@...
 

Tom;
Karen's project is going well and will hopefully not carry over to the 11th.  
I think it would be better this coming weekend rather than later.
I'll check with her later today when she gets in from the office and let you know if we can make it!
Sounds like a nice get-a-way!
72,
-Ed, WG5F-


CQ cq CQ

Johnny AC0BQ
 

I am on the air @7.122 /p frm Eureka Springs AR.
72
Johnny AC0BQ



--
QRP....."more smiles per watt"
72
JOHNNY AC0BQ  ..


Ozark Patrol build problem

David Wilcox
 

Guys and Gals,
 
I just finished the Ozark Patrol and it went together easily, but can't get consistent regeneration. From the get go the regen pot sounded like an old pot on an old radio that was dirty (scratchy). I have cleaned it twice with CRC contact cleaner and no change. If you don't think that is the problem what else could it be? I haven't checked the voltages yet per the trouble shooting guide ( my batteries are new and measure 9.4 volts ) but this "dirty pot sound" was so obvious. I really hesitate to blame the pot but I can't get an even variable regeneration with what I have.  Any advice?  I could hear a few very weak stations speaking Spanish around 9 mHz.
Second problem. When I plug in a pair of headphones (Walkman style or my good Sony studio head set) I get nothing unless I ground #4 on the jack pin with a jumper. There is a tab (looks like a grounding tab) where the jack is fastened  to the board with no wire attached. I assume that is grounded by pressure to the board and needs no wire.  What are your thoughts?
 
Audio seems down on the speaker.  I questioned the output transformer installation but the "P" side is connected to the board as per instructions.  Anyone found the red tape with the "P" label on it backwards from the factory? 
 
I am using my MFJ G5 RV antenna that is my main shack antenna and a good shack ground.
 
Dave K8WPE


4x4

John Lonigro
 

I looked at the 3 (yes, three) 4x4 submittals and am hoping a few more send in their scores. Please do so by Tuesday night, so I can get them all tabulated and reported later this week.

72,

John, AA0VE
Contest Coordinator