Date   

Re: Pig Rig crystal Grounding

WA0ITP
 

Good suggestion Chuck, tnx much.

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72 WA�ITP
www.wa0itp.com
www.4sqrp.com
www.qrpspots.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Chuck Carpenter" <w5usj@9plus.net>
To: <4sqrp@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2013 10:18 AM
Subject: [4sqrp] Pig Rig crystal Grounding


| Use DIP/SIPP machined pins for sockets then...
|
| ...consider the small end of a paper clip and a short flexible tether.
|
| Did this with the SAVXO crystals for frequency changes and other rigs
| and it worked out well
|
| Not as stable as hard wiring and soldering but does the job nicely
| especially if you want to change frequency/etc.
|
| Chuck Carpenter, W5USJ
| EM22cv, Rains Co. TX
|
|
|
| ------------------------------------
|
| 4SQRP Website: http://4sqrp.com
| OzarkCon is coming April 5-6 in Branson, MO
| View Details at http://www.ozarkcon.com/index.phpYahoo! Groups Links
|
|
|


Re: Yahoo! Groups reflector owner/moderator change

Wayne Dillon
 

Thank you Don for all the hard work you've put in, it's really is much appreciated. I hope you can find time/energy to do some of the stuff you may have had to put aside recently. I wish you peace and prosperity and most of all the time to just "be".
72/3 es God Bless my friend de Wayne - KC0PMH

See you on the nets sometime?


On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 12:34 PM, Don AE5K <donj@...> wrote:
 

Hello everyone,

As I mentioned in my email of February 12, after the big changeover from
my hosted reflector to the Yahoo! Groups reflector, I would be retiring
from the job.

The present reflector seems to be running without any glitches, the
membership is rising daily, and I've not heard one complaint from those
who had enough faith to re-join. Incidentally, I've had a huge increase
in the past two weeks in spam mail -- but not one single piece could be
attributed to my Yahoo! Groups long standing membership.

I've been your 4SQRP list administrator (owner, moderator, janitor, what
have you) for quite a few years. It is time for me to move on in my
life and let someone else have the fun. Mind you, I can count on one
hand the total number of instances that were unpleasant for me. And I do
appreciate and thank you for the many positive comments sent to me last
month.

I would like to introduce the two 4sqrp members who will be co-owners
and co-moderators from now on for this reflector:

Tim, N9PUZ, who has been an emergency back up moderator in case I could
not perform the duties. (He did have to step in while I was in Panama
over a year ago and didn't bring the password with me!)

And Gary, W5REJ, who also stepped forward to volunteer to help.

I'm sure you will give them the same good behavior that you have shown
me the past years.

Hope to see you at OzarkCon in a few weeks!

Don AE5K




--
http://www.qsl.net/kc0pmh/   Under construction but please visit anyway.
 
QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER. 
 
I'm British by birth but American by CHOICE!

Jesus came to pay a debt He didn't owe because we owe a debt we cannot pay...

The Lord bless you and keep you
The Lord make His face shine upon you, and be gracious unto you
The Lord lift up his contenance upon you and give you peace.

God Bless from Wayne Dillon - KC0PMH

Joshua 24:14-15
2 Cor 5:17
1 Jn 2:17
 

4 State QRP Group NCS - 40m & 160m
4SQRP #95
FPQRP #342 (Flying Pigs QRP Club)
G-QRP-C #11504
NAQCC # 0759
QRP-ARCI #11505
SKCC #1155
SOC #848
30MDG#1176
NEQRP #693
GORC #192


Re: Yahoo! Groups reflector owner/moderator change

Todd K7TFC
 

Many thanks, Don, for all your work!

73,

Todd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
K7TFC / Medford, Oregon, USA / CN82ni / UTC-8
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QRP (CW & SSB) / EmComm / SOTA / Homebrew / Design


On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 10:34 AM, Don AE5K <donj@...> wrote:
 

Hello everyone,

As I mentioned in my email of February 12, after the big changeover from
my hosted reflector to the Yahoo! Groups reflector, I would be retiring
from the job.

The present reflector seems to be running without any glitches, the
membership is rising daily, and I've not heard one complaint from those
who had enough faith to re-join. Incidentally, I've had a huge increase
in the past two weeks in spam mail -- but not one single piece could be
attributed to my Yahoo! Groups long standing membership.

I've been your 4SQRP list administrator (owner, moderator, janitor, what
have you) for quite a few years. It is time for me to move on in my
life and let someone else have the fun. Mind you, I can count on one
hand the total number of instances that were unpleasant for me. And I do
appreciate and thank you for the many positive comments sent to me last
month.

I would like to introduce the two 4sqrp members who will be co-owners
and co-moderators from now on for this reflector:

Tim, N9PUZ, who has been an emergency back up moderator in case I could
not perform the duties. (He did have to step in while I was in Panama
over a year ago and didn't bring the password with me!)

And Gary, W5REJ, who also stepped forward to volunteer to help.

I'm sure you will give them the same good behavior that you have shown
me the past years.

Hope to see you at OzarkCon in a few weeks!

Don AE5K



Yahoo! Groups reflector owner/moderator change

Don Jackson
 

Hello everyone,

As I mentioned in my email of February 12, after the big changeover from my hosted reflector to the Yahoo! Groups reflector, I would be retiring from the job.

The present reflector seems to be running without any glitches, the membership is rising daily, and I've not heard one complaint from those who had enough faith to re-join. Incidentally, I've had a huge increase in the past two weeks in spam mail -- but not one single piece could be attributed to my Yahoo! Groups long standing membership.

I've been your 4SQRP list administrator (owner, moderator, janitor, what have you) for quite a few years. It is time for me to move on in my life and let someone else have the fun. Mind you, I can count on one hand the total number of instances that were unpleasant for me. And I do appreciate and thank you for the many positive comments sent to me last month.

I would like to introduce the two 4sqrp members who will be co-owners and co-moderators from now on for this reflector:

Tim, N9PUZ, who has been an emergency back up moderator in case I could not perform the duties. (He did have to step in while I was in Panama over a year ago and didn't bring the password with me!)

And Gary, W5REJ, who also stepped forward to volunteer to help.

I'm sure you will give them the same good behavior that you have shown me the past years.

Hope to see you at OzarkCon in a few weeks!

Don AE5K


Re: Pig Rig crystals

Lee Mairs (SAG) <lmairs@...>
 

Might the faint splatter be the oink or squeak of a fresh born piggie? 
Waiting on #154.
73 de Lee
KM4YY


On 3/5/2013 9:21 AM, Bill Cromwell wrote:
 

On Tue, 2013-03-05 at 13:46 +0000, gary_w5rej wrote:
>
> Terry,
>
> Is it too late to get a set of crystals for the Pig Rig?
>
> Gary/w5rej

Hi,

The Pig Rig is not a temptation to me so I can't brag about resisting a
purchase. I always have a radio or two running when I am in my shop
(much of every day). I don't have any of those crystals nor a pig rig
but the fancy radio is listening for pig rigs. All I'm hearing is some
faint *SPLATTER* from somebody's QRO SSB rig up the band somewhere. All
knobs and meters all the way to the right! I should still hear pig rigs
taking their first breaths.

73,

Bill KU8H



Pig Rig crystal Grounding

Chuck Carpenter
 

Use DIP/SIPP machined pins for sockets then...

...consider the small end of a paper clip and a short flexible tether.

Did this with the SAVXO crystals for frequency changes and other rigs and it worked out well

Not as stable as hard wiring and soldering but does the job nicely especially if you want to change frequency/etc.

Chuck Carpenter, W5USJ
EM22cv, Rains Co. TX


Re: PigRigs and Crystals

Dave NE5DL
 

Terry

I'll take a set. Could pick them up at Ozarkon.

72, Dave Lear NE5DL

--- In 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com, "WA0ITP" <wa0itp@...> wrote:

Right on Jerry.

If the Group is interested, I'll organize a group purchase of 7122 crystals. They will probably cost between $1 and $2 each. I'll take the bulk delivery and mail your 4 xtals to you. The postage will be on my nickel.

If at least 10 members sign up, I'll go ahead and place the order. Wanna do it?

FYI Diz only has 60 PigRigs left.

btw usual disclaimers apply both on the crystals and the rigs.

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72 WAØITP
www.wa0itp.com
www.4sqrp.com
www.qrpspots.com



----- Original Message -----
From: Jerry Haigwood
To: 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, March 03, 2013 1:11 PM
Subject: RE: [4sqrp] 4S QRP Watering Holes!





Hi All,

I believe it was Diz’s intent to use the Pig Rig for clubs, nets, etc. Each club (such as 4sqrp) could have their very own frequency setup. That way, the club members could stay in contact with one another. It is not necessary to stick with 7030.7KHz but rather the club could pick a different frequency. Once the club had picked a frequency then the club would buy the required crystals from whomever they like to put their pig rigs on that frequency. The radio was never intended to be a general purpose 40 meter radio but was intended for single frequency use by clubs or nets. I remember when I was about 16 years old, the one of the local AM radio stations was giving away am radios as a promotion. Of course, the radios only received the single am station that was giving them away! They had a single knob â€" on/off and volume.

Jerry W5JH

"building something without experimenting is just solder practice"







From: 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com [mailto:4sqrp@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Bill Cromwell
Sent: Sunday, March 03, 2013 9:16 AM
To: 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com; John R. Lonigro
Cc: Charles Moizeau
Subject: Re: [4sqrp] 4S QRP Watering Holes!





On Sun, 2013-03-03 at 05:50 -0600, John R. Lonigro wrote:
>
> Charles:
>
> The unique feature of the Pigrig is the narrow crystal filter is also
> tuned to 7.031 MHz. The entire rig is designed around that frequency.
> Diz was able to do that because it is a single frequency rig. That's
> why, for example, you can't easily modify it to use the SAVXO.
>
> 72,
> John AA0VE

Hi,

To be crystal clear (pun intended) the crystal filter is in the front
end of the receiver and NOT at some IF or "shifted frequency". A VXO
won't help much. It sounds like a lot of fun. But it's not my cup of tea
being so restricted, either. Unless..I have some *other* radios I can
use when the Pig Rig frequency is in use. Like the radios that surround
me when I'm typing emails (evil grin).

73,

Bill KU8H


Re: Pig Rig crystals

Bill Cromwell
 

On Tue, 2013-03-05 at 13:46 +0000, gary_w5rej wrote:

Terry,

Is it too late to get a set of crystals for the Pig Rig?

Gary/w5rej

Hi,

The Pig Rig is not a temptation to me so I can't brag about resisting a
purchase. I always have a radio or two running when I am in my shop
(much of every day). I don't have any of those crystals nor a pig rig
but the fancy radio is listening for pig rigs. All I'm hearing is some
faint *SPLATTER* from somebody's QRO SSB rig up the band somewhere. All
knobs and meters all the way to the right! I should still hear pig rigs
taking their first breaths.

73,

Bill KU8H


Pig Rig crystals

gary_w5rej <gary.w5rej@...>
 

Terry,

Is it too late to get a set of crystals for the Pig Rig?

Gary/w5rej


Re: PigRig

Gary <countyhunterw4gns@...>
 

I got PigRig 184.
 
Gary W4GNS
 
Gary,

Yeah, I caved too. "Pride goeth before the fall"!

73,

Todd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
K7TFC / Medford, Oregon, USA / CN82ni / UTC-8
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QRP (CW & SSB) / EmComm / SOTA / Homebrew / Design

 


Re: Pig Rig

John Hall
 

got piggy #150 in the mail monday. glad its not SMT. still need a magnifying glass anyway.

73, John KA0KUY




Re: PigRig

Todd K7TFC
 

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 8:42 PM, Grey <countyhunterw4gns@...> wrote:

. . . I managed to talk myself out of buying one, and was very proud of passing on this rig. . . . 

Gary,

Yeah, I caved too. "Pride goeth before the fall"!

73,

Todd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
K7TFC / Medford, Oregon, USA / CN82ni / UTC-8
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QRP (CW & SSB) / EmComm / SOTA / Homebrew / Design


On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 8:42 PM, Grey <countyhunterw4gns@...> wrote:
 

Well I discovered the Pig Rig about 2 days before it was mentioned here. I managed to talk myself out of buying one, and was very proud of passing on this rig.

But after all the excite here about the rig, I cracked and ordered one, and also ask Terry for the new crystals. But hey, I held out for 2 days !

Gary W4GNS



Re: Flying pig rig saga!

wb9dlc <wb9dlc@...>
 

Hi again George. I was trying to follow this thread but may have missed something. How did you come up with the circuit changes that solved the problem?

Mike - wb9dlc
HTTP://wb9dlc.com

--- In 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com, w2bpi1@... wrote:

Changed R 27 to 15pf cap. Rewound L1 with 18 turns. No more birdies! Thanks
everyone. 72 George/W2BPI


____________________________________
From: W2bpi1@...
To: 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com
CC: QRP-L@...
Sent: 3/2/2013 9:40:43 A.M. Eastern Standard Time
Subj: Re: [4sqrp] Fwd: Flying pig rig saga!



So far I have done the following:
Made sure all parts in correct place.
Checked toroids. One had one xtra turn. Removed xtra turn.
Removed binocular toroids and re wound them.
Re heated all solder joints.
Made sure all transistors were correct ones and installed correctly.
I tried changing xtal. Problem still there.
If I listen to the osc without transmitting I do not hear any birdies.
I have a 1/2 toroid left over. Parts list says it is L7. I see no place
for it on the board or see it on the schematic?
I have also tried running the rig on battery power.
About ready to put it in the pig sty (junk box)
Tnx to everyone for your suggestions.
72 Geo/W2BPI



In a message dated 3/1/2013 10:29:48 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
w2bpi1@... writes:





Oh Oh just got this report!! Any ideas what could cause this? Tnx
Geo/W2BPI
____________________________________
From: polarmail@...
To: w2bpi1@...
Sent: 3/1/2013 10:06:21 A.M. Eastern Standard Time
Subj: Ur CW signal



Hi George,

Listening to you on 40 meters this morning in QSO with W8QP.
I tried to call you first but couldn't figure out which signal was your
findamental
as you are radiating on the whole band 1.2khz apart.
Thought you might want to know about it before an OO sights in on you.

73,
Rick W3BI
Allentown PA


PigRig

Grey <countyhunterw4gns@...>
 

Well I discovered the Pig Rig about 2 days before it was mentioned here. I managed to talk myself out of buying one, and was very proud of passing on this rig.

But after all the excite here about the rig, I cracked and ordered one, and also ask Terry for the new crystals. But hey, I held out for 2 days !

Gary W4GNS


Re: PigRigs and Crystals

Jeremy Utley
 

Woot!  Pig Rig #164 has been shipped!  Diz seems to be doing a pretty quick turn-around time!  I ordered mine Sunday at 2:08 PM, had his confirmation with the Serial Number at 4:55PM.  This will be my next one after I finish with the NS-40.

Jeremy, N9PH

On 3/3/2013 2:10 PM, Jeremy Utley wrote:
Count me in for a set too, Terry!  I was going to wait until I finished my NS-40 + Keyer to order and build a PigRig, but if he's got limited quantity, I better jump now.  So I just ordered up the kit!

Jeremy, N9PH

On 3/3/2013 1:44 PM, WA0ITP wrote:
 



Right on Jerry.
 
If the Group is interested, I'll organize a group purchase of 7122 crystals.  They will probably cost between $1 and $2 each.  I'll take the bulk delivery and mail your 4 xtals to you.  The postage will be on my nickel.
 
If at least 10 members sign up, I'll go ahead and place the order.  Wanna do it?
 
FYI Diz only has 60 PigRigs left. 
 
btw usual disclaimers apply both on the crystals and the rigs.
 
----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72   WAØITP
www.wa0itp.com
www.4sqrp.com
www.qrpspots.com



Re: Pictures

Todd K7TFC
 

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 8:11 AM, Doktor Daffodil-11 <wa4jm@...> wrote:
 

Hi guys, I do enjoy looking at ur QRP station pictures, but please post them larger than thumbnail size. It's impossible to enjoy what ur station looks like when viewing though a magnifying glass LOL!

73, John-WA4JM


John, 

If you're referring to the thumbnails that show up in the photo section, you only need to click on the photo to see the picture full size.

73,

Todd
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
K7TFC / Medford, Oregon, USA / CN82ni / UTC-8
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QRP (CW & SSB) / EmComm / SOTA / Homebrew / Design


Re: PigRigs and Crystals

WA0ITP
 

done.
 
----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72   WAØITP
www.wa0itp.com
www.4sqrp.com
www.qrpspots.com
 
 

----- Original Message -----
From: CStratton
Sent: Monday, March 04, 2013 2:01 PM
Subject: Re: [4sqrp] PigRigs and Crystals

Well, I don't want to be left behind on 7030.7 when all you guys are on 7122, so put me down for a set of PigRig crystals too Terry.

Thanks,
Chip
AE5KA


On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 1:44 PM, WA0ITP <wa0itp@...> wrote:
 

Right on Jerry.
 
If the Group is interested, I'll organize a group purchase of 7122 crystals.  They will probably cost between $1 and $2 each.  I'll take the bulk delivery and mail your 4 xtals to you.  The postage will be on my nickel.
 
If at least 10 members sign up, I'll go ahead and place the order.  Wanna do it?
 
FYI Diz only has 60 PigRigs left. 
 
btw usual disclaimers apply both on the crystals and the rigs.

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72   WAØITP
www.wa0itp.com
www.4sqrp.com
www.qrpspots.com
 
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, March 03, 2013 1:11 PM
Subject: RE: [4sqrp] 4S QRP Watering Holes!

Hi All,

     I believe it was Diz’s intent to use the Pig Rig for clubs, nets, etc.  Each club (such as 4sqrp) could have their very own frequency setup.  That way, the club members could stay in contact with one another.  It is not necessary to stick with 7030.7KHz but rather the club could pick a different frequency.  Once the club had picked a frequency then the club would buy the required crystals from whomever they like to put their pig rigs on that frequency.  The radio was never intended to be a general purpose 40 meter radio but was intended for single frequency use by clubs or nets.  I remember when I was about 16 years old, the one of the local AM radio stations was giving away am radios as a promotion.  Of course, the radios only received the single am station that was giving them away!  They had a single knob – on/off and volume.

Jerry W5JH

"building something without experimenting is just solder practice"

 

 

 

From: 4sqrp@... [mailto:4sqrp@...] On Behalf Of Bill Cromwell
Sent: Sunday, March 03, 2013 9:16 AM
To: 4sqrp@...; John R. Lonigro
Cc: Charles Moizeau
Subject: Re: [4sqrp] 4S QRP Watering Holes!

 

 

On Sun, 2013-03-03 at 05:50 -0600, John R. Lonigro wrote:
>
> Charles:
>
> The unique feature of the Pigrig is the narrow crystal filter is also
> tuned to 7.031 MHz. The entire rig is designed around that frequency.
> Diz was able to do that because it is a single frequency rig. That's
> why, for example, you can't easily modify it to use the SAVXO.
>
> 72,
> John AA0VE

Hi,

To be crystal clear (pun intended) the crystal filter is in the front
end of the receiver and NOT at some IF or "shifted frequency". A VXO
won't help much. It sounds like a lot of fun. But it's not my cup of tea
being so restricted, either. Unless..I have some *other* radios I can
use when the Pig Rig frequency is in use. Like the radios that surround
me when I'm typing emails (evil grin).

73,

Bill KU8H



W2BPI on his new pig rig

WA0ITP
 

George has his pig rig working well, I'm listening to him in QSO now. He hung
in there and worked his way thru some building problems and it's playing FB now.

Congrats George!

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72 WA�ITP
www.wa0itp.com
www.4sqrp.com
www.qrpspots.com


Re: Pig Rig

Charlie Vest
 

I am keeping one of the shack receivers on the club watering hole these days so I can hear who gets theirs up and running .
 
I procrastinated until yesterday to order mine so it will be a bit yet for me .
 
Charlie , W5COV

 

Hope mine comes before they are all gone. Got an email that the paypal payment was rx'd but no info when it would ship.

John, KA0KUY


Re: Pig Rig

Steve Sellmeyer <ssellmeyer@...>
 

Jusy ordered and got Pig Rig #179. Soldering iron tinned and ready to go !
 
Xtals order placed with Terry too.
 
Figured I needed a Flying Pig Club number also so that  is "on order"
 
Steve/WB0QQT and if you add /QRP..........dats a lotta dem dahs !