Date   

Re: 40m Net

Charles W. Powell
 

I couldn’t hear much of anything on 40m tonight.  I did hear a few of the calling stations but NCS was under the noise aside from the occasional character.

72,

Chas - NK8O

On Aug 8, 2018, at 9:02 PM, dekle <dekle@...> wrote:

Pretty good net tonight despite being surrounded by t-storms and world class QRN.
QNI list was:

W7KFI         Susan      MS
WA9PWP     Paul         WI
WA4GIR      Joe           NC
K7EK          Gary         KY (I think this a new guy - welcome Gary)
N4DR          Marc        MD
AB4QL        Barry        AL
K3NLT         Russ        VA
KV6Z           Bill           OK (NCS)

Thanks everybody - it was fun.
73
Bill
KV6Z


40m Net

dekle <dekle@...>
 

Pretty good net tonight despite being surrounded by t-storms and world class QRN.
QNI list was:

W7KFI         Susan      MS
WA9PWP     Paul         WI
WA4GIR      Joe           NC
K7EK          Gary         KY (I think this a new guy - welcome Gary)
N4DR          Marc        MD
AB4QL        Barry        AL
K3NLT         Russ        VA
KV6Z           Bill           OK (NCS)

Thanks everybody - it was fun.
73
Bill
KV6Z


Re: Wednesday Evening 40 and 80 meter Nets - Wed, 8/8/18 #cal-notice

Johnny AC0BQ
 

Ge guys
I was getting ready for the 80 meter net and I found out that Mother Nature has pulled my twin lead loose from the tower.
So 
Have fun with a round table!
72
Johnny AC0BQ 

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 8:00 PM main@4SQRP.groups.io Calendar <noreply@groups.io> wrote:

Wednesday Evening 40 and 80 meter Nets

When:
Wednesday, 8 August 2018
8:00pm to 9:00pm
(GMT-05:00) America/Chicago

Where:
40 and 80 Meters

Description:
The 40 Meter Net will be at 8:00 pm central or 0100 UTC on 7.122 +-.
NCS will be Bill KV6Z.

Wednesday evening 80 Meter CW Net. will be at 0130 UTC Thursday (8:30PM Central Time Wednesday). 
The net will be called on 3.564 MHz +/- QRM.



Net control operators are Johnny AC0BQ or Paul N0NBD.

--
Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com


Re: QRPometer

Charles W. Powell
 

Thanks Ron.  I got one ordered!

72,

Chas

On Aug 8, 2018, at 7:47 PM, Ron <ag1p@...> wrote:

GE Chas
 
If you scroll down on the 4sqrp home page, there is a link to Dave NM0S, the designer, qrpometer page as he now has them for sale.
 
72 - Ron - AG1P
 
From: main@4SQRP.groups.io [mailto:main@4SQRP.groups.io] On Behalf Of Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 5:43 PM
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Subject: [4SQRP] QRPometer
 
Does anyone have an unbuilt QRPometer that they would like to part with?

72,

Chas - NK8O 



Wednesday Evening 40 and 80 meter Nets - Wed, 8/8/18 #cal-notice

main@4SQRP.groups.io Calendar <noreply@...>
 

Wednesday Evening 40 and 80 meter Nets

When:
Wednesday, 8 August 2018
8:00pm to 9:00pm
(GMT-05:00) America/Chicago

Where:
40 and 80 Meters

Description:
The 40 Meter Net will be at 8:00 pm central or 0100 UTC on 7.122 +-.
NCS will be Bill KV6Z.

Wednesday evening 80 Meter CW Net. will be at 0130 UTC Thursday (8:30PM Central Time Wednesday). 
The net will be called on 3.564 MHz +/- QRM.



Net control operators are Johnny AC0BQ or Paul N0NBD.


Re: QRPometer

AG1P Ron
 

GE Chas

 

If you scroll down on the 4sqrp home page, there is a link to Dave NM0S, the designer, qrpometer page as he now has them for sale.

 

72 - Ron - AG1P

 

From: main@4SQRP.groups.io [mailto:main@4SQRP.groups.io] On Behalf Of Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 5:43 PM
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Subject: [4SQRP] QRPometer

 

Does anyone have an unbuilt QRPometer that they would like to part with?

72,

Chas - NK8O


Re: Bayou Jumper

Frank Artieta
 

I am just a chimer iner :)
They do not play around !
I am sure it will be there soon !

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 7:40 PM, Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io <doctorcwp@...> wrote:
How long is it taking these days to get the Bayou Jumper shipped?  I'm not pushing but I want to be sure if it was sent out that we figure out where it is.  I ordered on July 29th, so it's been 10 days.

72,

Chas - NK8O



QRPometer

Charles W. Powell
 

Does anyone have an unbuilt QRPometer that they would like to part with?

72,

Chas - NK8O


Bayou Jumper

Charles W. Powell
 

How long is it taking these days to get the Bayou Jumper shipped?  I'm not pushing but I want to be sure if it was sent out that we figure out where it is.  I ordered on July 29th, so it's been 10 days.

72,

Chas - NK8O


Re: OT: New Tariffs

John T. Fitzer
 

I’m glad I don’t own a Dollar Tree franchise.

 

From: main@4SQRP.groups.io [mailto:main@4SQRP.groups.io] On Behalf Of Paul Smith
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 3:38 PM
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] OT: New Tariffs

 

I have been wondering if/when this would smack us.

de Paul N0NBD

 

Sent from Outlook

 


From: main@4SQRP.groups.io <main@4SQRP.groups.io> on behalf of Ron <ag1p@...>
Sent: Wednesday, August 8, 2018 7:20 PM
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Subject: [4SQRP] OT: New Tariffs

 

The US announced 25% tariffs on $60B in Chinese imports, including electronic circuits.  The tariffs take effect on Aug 23rd.  If you live in US and are planning to order an L/C meter, Arduino, etc that comes from China, you may want to consider ordering now instead of waiting.

 

72 - Ron - AG1P

 

 


Re: OT: New Tariffs

Paul Smith
 

I have been wondering if/when this would smack us.

de Paul N0NBD


Sent from Outlook




From: main@4SQRP.groups.io <main@4SQRP.groups.io> on behalf of Ron <ag1p@...>
Sent: Wednesday, August 8, 2018 7:20 PM
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Subject: [4SQRP] OT: New Tariffs
 

The US announced 25% tariffs on $60B in Chinese imports, including electronic circuits.  The tariffs take effect on Aug 23rd.  If you live in US and are planning to order an L/C meter, Arduino, etc that comes from China, you may want to consider ordering now instead of waiting.

 

72 - Ron - AG1P

 

 


Re: OT: New Tariffs

Tommy Gober
 

This is the comprehensive list of all items subject to 25% tariffs.

Of particular interest to those in our hobby:
  • 7614.10.10 Aluminum, stranded wire, cables & the like w/steel core, not electrically insulated, not fitted with fittings & not made up into articles
  • 7614.90.20 Aluminum, elect. conductors of stranded wire, cables & the like (o/than w/steel core), n/elect. insulated, n/fitted w/fittings or articles 
  • 8507.80.40 Other storage batteries nesoi, of a kind used as the primary source of electrical power for electrically powered vehicles of 8703.90
  • 8507.80.81 Other storage batteries nesoi, other than of a kind used as the primary source of power for electric vehicles
  • 8511.80.20 Voltage and voltage-current regulators with cut-out relays designed for use on 6, 12 or 24 V systems HTS Subheading Product Description 
  • 8511.80.40 Voltage and voltage-current regulators with cut-out relays other than those designed for use on 6, 12 or 24 V systems 
  • 8511.90.20 Parts of voltage and voltage-current regulators with cut-out relays, designed for use on 6, 12 or 24 V systems 
  • 8511.90.40 Parts of voltage and voltage-current regulators with cut-out relays, other than those designed for use on 6, 12 or 24 V systems 
  • 8529.10.91 Other antennas and antenna reflectors of all kinds and parts, for use 
  • 8533.90.40 For the goods of subheading 8533.40, of ceramic or metallic materials, electrically or mechanically reactive to changes in temperature 
  • 8536.30.80 Electrical apparatus for protecting electrical circuits, for a voltage not exceeding 1,000 V, nesoi 
  • 8536.50.70 Certain specified electronic and electromechanical snap-action switches, for a voltage not exceeding 1,000 V 
  • 8536.70.00 Connectors for optical fibers, optical fiber bundles or cables 
  • 8537.10.30 Electric control panels, for a voltage not exceeding 1,000, assembled with outer housing or supports, for goods of 8421, 8422, 8450 or 8516 
  • 8541.10.00 Diodes, other than photosensitive or light-emitting diodes 8541.40.60 Diodes for semiconductor devices, other than light-emitting diodes, nesoi 
  • 8542.31.00 Electronic integrated circuits: processors and controllers 8542.32.00 Electronic integrated circuits: memories 
  • 8542.33.00 Electronic integrated circuits: amplifiers 
  • 8542.39.00 Electronic integrated circuits: other
  • 8542.90.00 Parts of electronic integrated circuits and microassemblies 
  • 8544.49.10 Insulated electric conductors of a kind used for telecommunications, for a voltage not exceeding 80 V, not fitted with connectors 
  • 8544.49.20 Insulated electric conductors nesoi, for a voltage not exceeding 80 V, not fitted with connectors 
  • 8544.60.60 Insulated electric conductors nesoi, not of copper, for a voltage exceeding 1,000 V, not fitted with connectors
  • 9028.30.00 Electricity supply or production meters, including calibrating meters thereof 
  • 9029.20.40 Speedometers and tachometers, other than bicycle speedometers HTS Subheading Product Description 
  • 9029.90.80 Parts and accessories of revolution counters, production counters, odometers, pedometers and the like, of speedometers nesoi and tachometers 
  • 9030.31.00 Multimeters for measuring or checking electrical voltage, current, resistance or power, without a recording device 
  • 9030.32.00 Multimeters, with a recording device 
  • 9030.84.00 Instruments and apparatus for measuring, checking or detecting electrical quantities or ionizing radiations, nesoi: with a recording device 
  • 9030.89.01 Instruments and apparatus for measuring, checking or detecting electrical quantities or ionizing radiations, nesoi: w/o a recording device 
  • ...monofilament in all its forms is also listed (for those throwing fishing line to support your antennas)
  • ...and all manner of PVC/plastic pipes, cords, resins and films (that will impact insulation, ropes/paracord, etc.)
Tommy, N5DUX

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 3:17 PM, John T. Fitzer <John.fitzer@...> wrote:

I just looked at the 270 items, It looks like most if not all electronics products are included. Items include I.C.’s resistors diodes multi meters. Ect.

 

From: main@4SQRP.groups.io [mailto:main@4SQRP.groups.io] On Behalf Of JAMES DAVIDSON
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 2:24 PM
To: main@4sqrp.groups.io
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] OT: New Tariffs

 

All read did. Thanks

 

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018, 2:21 PM Ron <ag1p@...> wrote:

The US announced 25% tariffs on $60B in Chinese imports, including electronic circuits.  The tariffs take effect on Aug 23rd.  If you live in US and are planning to order an L/C meter, Arduino, etc that comes from China, you may want to consider ordering now instead of waiting.

 

72 - Ron - AG1P

 

 



Re: OT: New Tariffs

Mike D
 

I know in the semiconductor industry most of the price increases went into affect as soon as the tarrifs were announced.


On Wed, Aug 8, 2018, 3:17 PM John T. Fitzer <John.fitzer@...> wrote:

I just looked at the 270 items, It looks like most if not all electronics products are included. Items include I.C.’s resistors diodes multi meters. Ect.

 

From: main@4SQRP.groups.io [mailto:main@4SQRP.groups.io] On Behalf Of JAMES DAVIDSON
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 2:24 PM
To: main@4sqrp.groups.io
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] OT: New Tariffs

 

All read did. Thanks

 

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018, 2:21 PM Ron <ag1p@...> wrote:

The US announced 25% tariffs on $60B in Chinese imports, including electronic circuits.  The tariffs take effect on Aug 23rd.  If you live in US and are planning to order an L/C meter, Arduino, etc that comes from China, you may want to consider ordering now instead of waiting.

 

72 - Ron - AG1P

 

 


Re: OT: New Tariffs

John T. Fitzer
 

I just looked at the 270 items, It looks like most if not all electronics products are included. Items include I.C.’s resistors diodes multi meters. Ect.

 

From: main@4SQRP.groups.io [mailto:main@4SQRP.groups.io] On Behalf Of JAMES DAVIDSON
Sent: Wednesday, August 08, 2018 2:24 PM
To: main@4sqrp.groups.io
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] OT: New Tariffs

 

All read did. Thanks

 

On Wed, Aug 8, 2018, 2:21 PM Ron <ag1p@...> wrote:

The US announced 25% tariffs on $60B in Chinese imports, including electronic circuits.  The tariffs take effect on Aug 23rd.  If you live in US and are planning to order an L/C meter, Arduino, etc that comes from China, you may want to consider ordering now instead of waiting.

 

72 - Ron - AG1P

 

 


Wednesday Evening 40 and 80 meter Nets - Wed, 8/8/18 8:00pm-9:00pm #cal-reminder

main@4SQRP.groups.io Calendar <main@...>
 

Reminder:
Wednesday Evening 40 and 80 meter Nets

When:
Wednesday, 8 August 2018
8:00pm to 9:00pm
(GMT-05:00) America/Chicago

Where:
40 and 80 Meters

Description:
The 40 Meter Net will be at 8:00 pm central or 0100 UTC on 7.122 +-.
NCS will be Bill KV6Z.

Wednesday evening 80 Meter CW Net. will be at 0130 UTC Thursday (8:30PM Central Time Wednesday). 
The net will be called on 3.564 MHz +/- QRM.



Net control operators are Johnny AC0BQ or Paul N0NBD.

View Event.


Re: OT: New Tariffs

JAMES DAVIDSON
 

All read did. Thanks


On Wed, Aug 8, 2018, 2:21 PM Ron <ag1p@...> wrote:

The US announced 25% tariffs on $60B in Chinese imports, including electronic circuits.  The tariffs take effect on Aug 23rd.  If you live in US and are planning to order an L/C meter, Arduino, etc that comes from China, you may want to consider ordering now instead of waiting.

 

72 - Ron - AG1P

 

 


OT: New Tariffs

AG1P Ron
 

The US announced 25% tariffs on $60B in Chinese imports, including electronic circuits.  The tariffs take effect on Aug 23rd.  If you live in US and are planning to order an L/C meter, Arduino, etc that comes from China, you may want to consider ordering now instead of waiting.

 

72 - Ron - AG1P

 

 


Re: antenna tuners in general

ussv dharma
 

My fan dipole is up 144'

If you don't change direction you WILL arrive exactly where you're headed!!
 
MSGT. Susan Meckley, USA (Ret.)
W7KFI  & AFZ4SM
 

--------------------------------------------

On Wed, 8/8/18, Dwayne R via Groups.Io <masterdr=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Subject: Re: [4SQRP] antenna tuners in general
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Date: Wednesday, August 8, 2018, 12:31 PM

The length of the wire will be way way to
long for an antenna this close to the ground.
You are talking about an antenna
formula for a wire "in space".  If the ends of the
antenna are close  to the grown,
and the feed point that close to the ground (You didn't
specify), You may end up having to
double up the ends of the antenna by 3 to 8 feet
on each end.

The way I read it (which I could be
wrong) your antenna will be very close to the ground,
and the ends only a few feet at the
most.

These type antennas are called NVIS
antennas.  For a dipole NVIS this close to the
ground, the standard formula is way way
off.  Ground interaction is a huge factor
on the length of this antenna.

A friend of mine and I played with one
of these,  On his, he ended up with an
antenna around 23 to 25 feet on each
side to resonate on 40 meters. (CAn't remember
the exact length)

We used a 2 8 foot green poles for
support, and two stakes for the wires.

Sorry if I misread your message wrong.

Dwayne



--------------------------------------------
On Wed, 8/8/18, Roy Parker via
Groups.Io <royiparker=yahoo.com@groups.io>
wrote:

Subject: Re: [4SQRP] antenna tuners in
general
To: "main@4SQRP.groups.io"
<main@4SQRP.groups.io>
Date: Wednesday, August 8, 2018, 11:04
AM

Rob, 
I like the OCF dipole, & wire
antennas.
Here's
one thing you could do:Get
three fiberglass fish poles - like
Black Widow
BW6;A
spool of 18 gauge speaker wire (rca
AH18100SR);Some
stakes about one inch-and-a-quarter
diameter;Roll
of electric tape.
Measure
33 feet from one end, split the
conductors apart to make a
dipole, use the other 66 foot length
as a feed line. (Might
need to be closer to 56 feet because
of velocity
factor).
Sharpen
the stakes, push them in the ground,
extend the poles n slip
over the stakes, tape dipole to the
top of the poles. The
end should be about 50 ohms, connect
to coax and
operate.
Good
DXRoy
AA0B




  On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 6:55 AM,
ussv
dharma via
Groups.Io<ussvdharma=yahoo.com@groups.io>
wrote:  I like my KX3 but do not
use it as it is just TOO
DARNED HOT AND MUGGY here in South
Mississippi in the
summer. Hopefully this fal and winder
It will be tolerable
to go out on the grounds and use the
picnic tables for QRP
with the KX3 and a buddipole de W7KFI

If you don't change
direction you WILL arrive exactly
where you're
headed!!
 
MSGT. Susan Meckley, USA
(Ret.)
W7KFI 
& AFZ4SM
 


--------------------------------------------
On Tue, 8/7/18, John Hucke
via Groups.Io <johnhucke87=yahoo.com@groups.io>
wrote:

  Subject: Re: [4SQRP]
antenna tuners in general
  To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
  Date: Tuesday, August 7,
2018, 8:00 PM


  Correct, an antenna tuner
consist of wire cutter, tape
  measure, and a soldering iron if
you cut too
much.That
  said I’m
happy to fool my radio (KX3) with the
excellent
  internal impedance
match.I love my KX3 but QRP
  isn’t recommended for a
beginner, I can tell
you from
  personal
experience.72 John K3JH




  On Tuesday, August 7,
  2018, 16:54, ussv dharma
via Groups.Io

<ussvdharma=yahoo.com@groups.io>
wrote:One must

remember, an antenna tuner only fools
the radio into
  believing there is a 50
ohm antenna....the tuner does not
  change anything about the
antenna or coax feeding
it.

  If you don't
change
  direction
you WILL arrive exactly where you're
  headed!!
   
  MSGT. Susan Meckley,
USA
  (Ret.)
  W7KFI 
  & AFZ4SM
   



--------------------------------------------
  On Tue, 8/7/18, Wayne
  Dillon <wayne.dillon@gmail.com>
  wrote:

  Subject: Re: [4SQRP]
  Antenna analyzer/SWR
meter
  To: main@4sqrp.groups.io
  Date: Tuesday, August
7,
  2018, 4:30 PM

  Couldn't
  agree more Jerry,
the
  FT450 is an entry
level wireless with
 
above entry level

performance and functions. Yes the
built
  in ASTU is
  amazing.Blessings,Wayne
-
  NQ0RP
  On
  Tue,
  Aug 7, 2018 at
  3:15 PM, J.K. Wright
<wrightjk@gmail.com>
  wrote:
  Also
  have an FT-450d. It has
a
  built in swr meter
and an
  absolutely
amazing built in antenna tuner with
  great
  range.  Unless
  you plan on experimenting
a lot with
  antennas,
you don't
  need an
swr/per meter anytime soon.
  Never had one for my
  first 45 yrs of hamming. Read
your
  FT450D manual
carefully.
  The rig can
do a lot and is a great
  entry level rig.Jerry,
  NK2C
  On Tue, Aug 7,
  2018, 3:42 PM Rob Roberts
via
  Groups.Io
<kd0wkv=yahoo.com@groups.io>
  wrote:
  I
  didn’t rely to the
  group. I replied to John
instead. 
  I’m not
getting in a
  hurry. 
I am planning on joining a
  group, however in my line
  of work. I work 70 hrs a
week and
  my weekends
fall during the week, not many people
  are off
  when I am. 
  My radio that I purchased
is a Yaesu FT-450d.
 
I’m taking my General
  test on Saturday lord willing
and
  the creek don’t rise
I hope to ready to get on
  the air
 
when I get
  home.
Thanks for all your replies.



  I am debating on a
OCF
  dipole or a
Carolina Windom.  It
  will be fed with RG-8x (50 ohm I
believe). 
  I’m not sure
  about
  the radiation or if
it’s shortened. I’m a fairly
  new ham.



  I need to start
trucking,
  I’ll reply
when I stop.



  Thanks



  Rob














  --
   

    QRP -   EFFICIENCY
  AND
  SKILL, NOT POWER.
   
   
  God Bless from Wayne
  Dillon -
  NQ0RP

  Fate whispered to
  courageous
  "You
  cannot withstand the

  storm"Courageous
 whispered back "I am
  the storm"


Re: antenna tuners in general

Dwayne R <masterdr@...>
 

The length of the wire will be way way to long for an antenna this close to the ground.
You are talking about an antenna formula for a wire "in space". If the ends of the
antenna are close to the grown, and the feed point that close to the ground (You didn't
specify), You may end up having to double up the ends of the antenna by 3 to 8 feet
on each end.

The way I read it (which I could be wrong) your antenna will be very close to the ground,
and the ends only a few feet at the most.

These type antennas are called NVIS antennas. For a dipole NVIS this close to the
ground, the standard formula is way way off. Ground interaction is a huge factor
on the length of this antenna.

A friend of mine and I played with one of these, On his, he ended up with an
antenna around 23 to 25 feet on each side to resonate on 40 meters. (CAn't remember
the exact length)

We used a 2 8 foot green poles for support, and two stakes for the wires.

Sorry if I misread your message wrong.

Dwayne



--------------------------------------------

On Wed, 8/8/18, Roy Parker via Groups.Io <royiparker=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Subject: Re: [4SQRP] antenna tuners in general
To: "main@4SQRP.groups.io" <main@4SQRP.groups.io>
Date: Wednesday, August 8, 2018, 11:04 AM

Rob, 
I like the OCF dipole, & wire antennas.
Here's
one thing you could do:Get
three fiberglass fish poles - like Black Widow
BW6;A
spool of 18 gauge speaker wire (rca AH18100SR);Some
stakes about one inch-and-a-quarter diameter;Roll
of electric tape.
Measure
33 feet from one end, split the conductors apart to make a
dipole, use the other 66 foot length as a feed line. (Might
need to be closer to 56 feet because of velocity
factor).
Sharpen
the stakes, push them in the ground, extend the poles n slip
over the stakes, tape dipole to the top of the poles. The
end should be about 50 ohms, connect to coax and
operate.
Good
DXRoy
AA0B




On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 6:55 AM, ussv
dharma via
Groups.Io<ussvdharma=yahoo.com@groups.io>
wrote: I like my KX3 but do not use it as it is just TOO
DARNED HOT AND MUGGY here in South Mississippi in the
summer. Hopefully this fal and winder It will be tolerable
to go out on the grounds and use the picnic tables for QRP
with the KX3 and a buddipole de W7KFI

If you don't change
direction you WILL arrive exactly where you're
headed!!
 
MSGT. Susan Meckley, USA
(Ret.)
W7KFI 
& AFZ4SM
 

--------------------------------------------
On Tue, 8/7/18, John Hucke
via Groups.Io <johnhucke87=yahoo.com@groups.io>
wrote:

Subject: Re: [4SQRP]
antenna tuners in general
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Date: Tuesday, August 7,
2018, 8:00 PM


Correct, an antenna tuner
consist of wire cutter, tape
measure, and a soldering iron if you cut too
much.That
said I’m
happy to fool my radio (KX3) with the excellent
internal impedance
match.I love my KX3 but QRP
isn’t recommended for a beginner, I can tell
you from
personal
experience.72 John K3JH




On Tuesday, August 7,
2018, 16:54, ussv dharma
via Groups.Io

<ussvdharma=yahoo.com@groups.io>
wrote:One must

remember, an antenna tuner only fools the radio into
believing there is a 50
ohm antenna....the tuner does not
change anything about the antenna or coax feeding
it.

If you don't
change
direction
you WILL arrive exactly where you're
headed!!
 
MSGT. Susan Meckley,
USA
(Ret.)
W7KFI 
& AFZ4SM
 


--------------------------------------------
On Tue, 8/7/18, Wayne
Dillon <wayne.dillon@gmail.com>
wrote:

  Subject: Re: [4SQRP]
Antenna analyzer/SWR
meter
  To: main@4sqrp.groups.io
  Date: Tuesday, August
7,
2018, 4:30 PM

  Couldn't
  agree more Jerry,
the
FT450 is an entry
level wireless with
 
above entry level

performance and functions. Yes the built
  in ASTU is
amazing.Blessings,Wayne
-
  NQ0RP
  On
Tue,
  Aug 7, 2018 at
3:15 PM, J.K. Wright
<wrightjk@gmail.com>
  wrote:
  Also
  have an FT-450d. It has
a
built in swr meter
and an
  absolutely
amazing built in antenna tuner with
great
  range.  Unless
you plan on experimenting
a lot with
  antennas,
you don't
need an
swr/per meter anytime soon.
  Never had one for my
first 45 yrs of hamming. Read your
  FT450D manual
carefully.
The rig can
do a lot and is a great
  entry level rig.Jerry,
NK2C
  On Tue, Aug 7,
2018, 3:42 PM Rob Roberts
via
  Groups.Io
<kd0wkv=yahoo.com@groups.io>
  wrote:
  I
  didn’t rely to the
group. I replied to John
instead. 
  I’m not
getting in a
hurry. 
I am planning on joining a
  group, however in my line
of work. I work 70 hrs a
week and
  my weekends
fall during the week, not many people
are off
  when I am. 
My radio that I purchased
is a Yaesu FT-450d.
 
I’m taking my General
test on Saturday lord willing and
  the creek don’t rise
I hope to ready to get on
the air
 
when I get
home.
Thanks for all your replies.



  I am debating on a
OCF
dipole or a
Carolina Windom.  It
  will be fed with RG-8x (50 ohm I believe). 
I’m not sure
  about
the radiation or if
it’s shortened. I’m a fairly
  new ham.



  I need to start
trucking,
I’ll reply
when I stop.



  Thanks



  Rob














  --
   

  QRP -   EFFICIENCY
AND
  SKILL, NOT POWER.
 
   
  God Bless from Wayne
Dillon -
  NQ0RP

  Fate whispered to
courageous
  "You
cannot withstand the

storm"Courageous
 whispered back "I am
  the storm"


Re: antenna tuners in general

Roy Parker
 

Rob,
  I like the OCF dipole, & wire antennas.

Here's one thing you could do:
Get three fiberglass fish poles - like Black Widow BW6;
A spool of 18 gauge speaker wire (rca AH18100SR);
Some stakes about one inch-and-a-quarter diameter;
Roll of electric tape.

Measure 33 feet from one end, split the conductors apart to make a dipole, use the other 66 foot length as a feed line. (Might need to be closer to 56 feet because of velocity factor).

Sharpen the stakes, push them in the ground, extend the poles n slip over the stakes, tape dipole to the top of the poles. The end should be about 50 ohms, connect to coax and operate.

Good DX
Roy AA0B



On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 6:55 AM, ussv dharma via Groups.Io
<ussvdharma@...> wrote:
I like my KX3 but do not use it as it is just TOO DARNED HOT AND MUGGY here in South Mississippi in the summer. Hopefully this fal and winder It will be tolerable to go out on the grounds and use the picnic tables for QRP with the KX3 and a buddipole de W7KFI

If you don't change direction you WILL arrive exactly where you're headed!!
 
MSGT. Susan Meckley, USA (Ret.)
W7KFI  & AFZ4SM
 

--------------------------------------------
On Tue, 8/7/18, John Hucke via Groups.Io <johnhucke87=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Subject: Re: [4SQRP] antenna tuners in general
Date: Tuesday, August 7, 2018, 8:00 PM


Correct, an antenna tuner consist of wire cutter, tape
measure, and a soldering iron if you cut too much.That
said I’m happy to fool my radio (KX3) with the excellent
internal impedance match.I love my KX3 but QRP
isn’t recommended for a beginner, I can tell you from
personal experience.72 John K3JH




On Tuesday, August 7,
2018, 16:54, ussv dharma via Groups.Io
<ussvdharma=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:One must
remember, an antenna tuner only fools the radio into
believing there is a 50 ohm antenna....the tuner does not
change anything about the antenna or coax feeding it.

If you don't change
direction you WILL arrive exactly where you're
headed!!
 
MSGT. Susan Meckley, USA
(Ret.)
W7KFI 
& AFZ4SM
 

--------------------------------------------
On Tue, 8/7/18, Wayne
wrote:

  Subject: Re: [4SQRP]
Antenna analyzer/SWR meter
  Date: Tuesday, August 7,
2018, 4:30 PM

  Couldn't
  agree more Jerry, the
FT450 is an entry level wireless with
  above entry level
performance and functions. Yes the built
  in ASTU is
amazing.Blessings,Wayne -
  NQ0RP
  On
Tue,
  Aug 7, 2018 at
3:15 PM, J.K. Wright <wrightjk@...>
  wrote:
  Also
  have an FT-450d. It has a
built in swr meter and an
  absolutely amazing built in antenna tuner with
great
  range.  Unless
you plan on experimenting a lot with
  antennas, you don't
need an swr/per meter anytime soon.
  Never had one for my
first 45 yrs of hamming. Read your
  FT450D manual carefully.
The rig can do a lot and is a great
  entry level rig.Jerry,
NK2C
  On Tue, Aug 7,
2018, 3:42 PM Rob Roberts via
  Groups.Io <kd0wkv=yahoo.com@groups.io>
  wrote:
  I
  didn’t rely to the
group. I replied to John instead. 
  I’m not getting in a
hurry.  I am planning on joining a
  group, however in my line
of work. I work 70 hrs a week and
  my weekends fall during the week, not many people
are off
  when I am. 
My radio that I purchased is a Yaesu FT-450d.
  I’m taking my General
test on Saturday lord willing and
  the creek don’t rise I hope to ready to get on
the air
  when I get
home. Thanks for all your replies.



  I am debating on a OCF
dipole or a Carolina Windom.  It
  will be fed with RG-8x (50 ohm I believe). 
I’m not sure
  about
the radiation or if it’s shortened. I’m a fairly
  new ham.



  I need to start trucking,
I’ll reply when I stop.



  Thanks



  Rob














  --
   

  QRP -   EFFICIENCY
AND
  SKILL, NOT POWER.
 
   
  God Bless from Wayne
Dillon -
  NQ0RP

  Fate whispered to
courageous
  "You
cannot withstand the

storm"Courageous  whispered back "I am
  the storm"














7101 - 7120 of 24820