From: bigusmith via groups.io <bigusmith@...>
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Oct 2, 2020 11:03 am
Subject: [4SQRP] 10 to 50 milliwatt transceivers

Are there any kits or construction plans for a QRPp transceiver in the 10 - 50 milliwatt category?  In the alternative, maybe some ways to modify existing QRP rigs, such as "Pixie", "Frog Sounds", etc.so they will work at those power output levels (merely reducing the voltage powering the rig doesn't seem to work very well).

Ideas and suggestions from QRPp'ers more technologically astute than this lid are most welcome.

EuGene
KA5NLY, Arkansas

John

Epson 4mw programmable oscillators 4$ ea are handy. SG8002 is the series.

John k5mo

On Friday, October 2, 2020, Mike Czuhajewski via groups.io <wa8mcq=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
An easy modification would be to put an attenuator between the output of the transmitter low pass filter and T/R switch. It just takes a few resistors. Don't put it in line with the antenna, though, or you'll lose some signal on receive.

Are there any kits or construction plans for a QRPp transceiver in the 10 - 50 milliwatt category?  In the alternative, maybe some ways to modify existing QRP rigs, such as "Pixie", "Frog Sounds", etc.so they will work at those power output levels (merely reducing the voltage powering the rig doesn't seem to work very well).

Ideas and suggestions from QRPp'ers more technologically astute than this lid are most welcome.

EuGene
KA5NLY, Arkansas

Gwen Patton

There's a guy I've bought from on Etsy (I got his SlinkTenna) who makes tiny keychain transmitters, complete with a little straight-key-esque button for tapping out code. It's basically an oscillator chip with some added parts to make it stable. It's ONLY the transmitter, be clear on that. You'll need a receiver to go along with it so you can hear any replies. Here's the link to the 20m model -- if you look on his general page, you'll see he has them on most bands, and the SlinkTenna I bought from him.

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 1:09 PM bigusmith via groups.io <bigusmith=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Are there any kits or construction plans for a QRPp transceiver in the 10 - 50 milliwatt category?  In the alternative, maybe some ways to modify existing QRP rigs, such as "Pixie", "Frog Sounds", etc.so they will work at those power output levels (merely reducing the voltage powering the rig doesn't seem to work very well).

Ideas and suggestions from QRPp'ers more technologically astute than this lid are most welcome.

EuGene
KA5NLY, Arkansas

Mike Malone

Stout price!  A 2n2222 and a crystal will get you in the ballpark.

Mike KD5KXF

On Friday, October 2, 2020, Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...> wrote:
[...]

https://www.qsl.net/wb5ude/kc6wdk/transmitter.htmlThis one peaked does 500mw,  after you time it measure capacitance and put a fixed cap in it, a simple attenuator would knock it down to your specs.

Mike KD5KXF

On Friday, October 2, 2020, Mike Malone via groups.io <kd5kxf=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

bigusmith

Gwen,

Oh, yeah!  I just ordered one of those little beasties a couple days ago on Etsy.  As for a receiver, I have a "Yeahoo" FR-101 which should fill the bill (it's the receiver only twin to the venerable FT-101 transceiver)

EuGene

On Friday, October 2, 2020, 1:47:45 PM CDT, Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks guys for the feedback.  I will try some of those hints and see what transpires.  Somewhere in all of my junque I have a Wave Forms microwatt meter that measure from about 1.5 watts down to about a couple microwatts in 4 or 5 ranges, so I can see what I am putting out at different attenuation levels.

EuGene

Casey

Dave Ingram (SK) had the Hamfest Buddy.  Rex at QRPme Made and updated Version (with Filtering) that is a no solder kit. His Schematic is on the QRPme Site.

Dave's CQ Article Link should be attached.

Now, to make either of these into "Pixie" Style, simply put an Earpiece across the 10K Emitter Resister

http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com/flashback/hamfest-buddy.html

72 de Casey KC9IH@...