From: Lloyd Sumpter
Date: Fri, May 6, 2022 1:07 PM
Subject:[4SQRP] 12V for Cricket 20?

Hi I just assembled a Cricket20 and really like it. While I do like the "all-in-one" aspect, the 9V battery seems a bit... wimpy. At first I was getting close to 900 mW, but when it went down to 750 I checked the voltage and the battery was around 7.6V when transmitting. Can I power it with 12V (Probably 12.6 or so...)? If not, maybe I can put the 12v through a 7809 regulator and get an "honest" 9V (maybe put a diode in the base to make it 8.6). Thoughts? Lloyd VA7LAS

Lloyd Sumpter

Hi folks

I tried running my Cricket 20 on a solid 12V supply. It ran quite cool (passed the George Page Finger Test), put out 2W, and the chirp was gone! It runs almost a watt with a fresh 9V battery, so I can just use the battery for ultra-portable operation, and switch it out to 12V when camping.

Awesome unit! Very happy.

Lloyd VA7LAS