4 S Tuner Malfunction Query


griffithsesq.robert
 

I recently built the 4S Tuner. Neither light illuminates. In the tuning mode, adjusting the switch and capacitor positions varies the noise level however, in no position is the noise level as loud as it is without the tuner in the line at all. I have checked the wiring of the components as best as I could with a VOM. Perhaps I damaged a component during soldering. Any suggestions? Nice unit. Would like to have a working one for along side my Bayou Jumper and any future rig I build.
Griff NE3I
Robert Alan Griffiths


Bob Zolecki
 

Sounds like bad solder joint around led circuit as seems tuner part is working and noise will not be as loud in tune mode as it is with tuner out.

On Jul 22, 2018, at 9:21 PM, griffithsesq.robert via Groups.Io <signalnaut=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I recently built the 4S Tuner. Neither light illuminates. In the tuning mode, adjusting the switch and capacitor positions varies the noise level however, in no position is the noise level as loud as it is without the tuner in the line at all. I have checked the wiring of the components as best as I could with a VOM. Perhaps I damaged a component during soldering. Any suggestions? Nice unit. Would like to have a working one for along side my Bayou Jumper and any future rig I build.
Griff NE3I
Robert Alan Griffiths



David Furst
 

Robert, I also just built the 4S tuner and had similar problems to what you described.  I found that the wires from switch SW1 were touching the switch body (the metallic part) thus shorting the XCVR line to ground.  Check to see if you have very high resistance from the center pin of the XCVR BNC (J2) to chassis ground with the switch in the OUT position and the antenna disconnected.  You should also have some resistance (abt 94 ohms) with the switch in the IN position.  You don't have to disassemble the unit to measure this point. If you have a grounded J2, check the wires at the switch:  NONE should be touching the switch body.  This was just a careless mistake on my part and once I moved the wires away from the switch, the unit worked fine. Initial visual checks didn't reveal the wires touching unless you look at the switch from the side. Hope this helps.
Dave Furst WA3INF


griffithsesq.robert
 

Thanks Dave, I will check it out.
Griff NE3I

Robert Alan Griffiths

On Jul 23, 2018, at 11:01 AM, David Furst <dfurst@...> wrote:

Robert, I also just built the 4S tuner and had similar problems to what you described.  I found that the wires from switch SW1 were touching the switch body (the metallic part) thus shorting the XCVR line to ground.  Check to see if you have very high resistance from the center pin of the XCVR BNC (J2) to chassis ground with the switch in the OUT position and the antenna disconnected.  You should also have some resistance (abt 94 ohms) with the switch in the IN position.  You don't have to disassemble the unit to measure this point. If you have a grounded J2, check the wires at the switch:  NONE should be touching the switch body.  This was just a careless mistake on my part and once I moved the wires away from the switch, the unit worked fine. Initial visual checks didn't reveal the wires touching unless you look at the switch from the side. Hope this helps.
Dave Furst WA3INF


griffithsesq.robert
 

Thank you Bob, I will check the LED circuit again. 73.
Griff NE3I

Robert Alan Griffiths

On Jul 23, 2018, at 8:26 AM, Bob Zolecki via Groups.Io <bobzolecki=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

Sounds like bad solder joint around led circuit as seems tuner part is working and noise will not be as loud in tune mode as it is with tuner out.
On Jul 22, 2018, at 9:21 PM, griffithsesq.robert via Groups.Io <signalnaut=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I recently built the 4S Tuner. Neither light illuminates. In the tuning mode, adjusting the switch and capacitor positions varies the noise level however, in no position is the noise level as loud as it is without the tuner in the line at all. I have checked the wiring of the components as best as I could with a VOM. Perhaps I damaged a component during soldering. Any suggestions? Nice unit. Would like to have a working one for along side my Bayou Jumper and any future rig I build.
Griff NE3I
Robert Alan Griffiths





Bob Zolecki
 

Check that D1 and D2 is installed the right way also if leds are installed backwards they wont light...


-----Original Message-----
From: griffithsesq.robert via Groups.Io <signalnaut@...>
To: main <main@4SQRP.groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Jul 23, 2018 4:18 pm
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] 4 S Tuner Malfunction Query

Thank you Bob, I will check the LED circuit again. 73.
Griff NE3I

Robert Alan Griffiths
> On Jul 23, 2018, at 8:26 AM, Bob Zolecki via Groups.Io <bobzolecki=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> Sounds like bad solder joint around led circuit as seems tuner part is working and noise will not be as loud in tune mode as it is with tuner out.
>> On Jul 22, 2018, at 9:21 PM, griffithsesq.robert via Groups.Io <signalnaut=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
>>
>> I recently built the 4S Tuner. Neither light illuminates. In the tuning mode, adjusting the switch and capacitor positions varies the noise level however, in no position is the noise level as loud as it is without the tuner in the line at all. I have checked the wiring of the components as best as I could with a VOM. Perhaps I damaged a component during soldering. Any suggestions? Nice unit. Would like to have a working one for along side my Bayou Jumper and any future rig I build.
>> Griff NE3I
>> Robert Alan Griffiths
>>
>>
>>
>
>
>
>