From: main@4SQRP.groups.io [mailto:main@4SQRP.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rob Roberts via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2018 12:58 PM
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Subject: [4SQRP] Antenna analyzer/SWR meter

What do you all suggest for a new ham to do, to check out the SWR on an antenna he just built?  I really don’t have many Elmer’s around me to ask.  I probably should make the stupid antenna and take  to the ham fest where I am taking my general exam and see if someone has one.

Rob

kd0wkv

John Lonigro

Rob:
If your rig has an auto-tuner, you could probably operate without knowing if it is resonant or not, as long as the tuner is able to tune it.  If you don't have an auto-tuner, you might invest in a 4S-tuner, which should be able to tune almost anything (within reason).  Besides being able to tune the antenna, it includes circuitry to let you know the SWR is safe, but it doesn't tell you what the SWR is.

By the way, don't forget the Second Sunday Sprint is coming up this Sunday evening, as usual.

72,
John, AA0VE

On 08/07/2018 01:04 PM, John T. Fitzer wrote:

Well the answer to your question depends,

1.      What type of antenna are you making?

2.      What is the intended frequency of operation?

3.      Is it to be fed with 50 ohm coax?

4.      Is it a full size radiator or a shortened version employing loading of some sort?

Pleas provide some specifics and maybe I can help

Date: Tuesday, August 7, 2018, 2:06 PM

This is the last
!

1:37 PM, Frank Artieta <73tuudefrank@gmail.com>
T. Fitzer <John.fitzer@nts.com>

From:
main@4SQRP.groups.io
for a new ham to do, to check out the SWR on an antenna he
just built?  I really don’t have many Elmer’s around me
to ask.  I probably should make the stupid antenna and take
 to the ham fest where I am taking my
general exam and see if someone has one.

Rob

kd0wkv

Rob Roberts

I wasn’t trying to troll the group, I was legitimately looking for advice. I now have said advice, thank you to the people that provided me with solid answers. I do have radio experience but it’s all been with Military sincgars and what have you.

Thanks.

Rob

To: main@4sqrp.groups.io
Date: Tuesday, August 7, 2018, 2:06 PM

This is the last

From:
main@4SQRP.groups.io
for a new ham to do, to check out the SWR on an antenna he
just built? I really don’t have many Elmer’s around me
to ask. I probably should make the stupid antenna and take
to the ham fest where I am taking my
general exam and see if someone has one.

Rob

kd0wkv

Bob Nelson

Rob,
Buy yourself an AA-54 from RigExpert, or some newer
model if there is one.  You will quickly see how useful it
is for almost antenna situations.  I swear by mine, and I've
been doing antenna work (both amateur and professional)
for more than 60 years.
73 - Bob, K6KL