Topics

DMR information

Charles W. Powell

It was brought to my attention that perhaps everyone on the list is not familiar with DMR, so i will do my best to give an explanation of what it is and what it does.

DMR = Digital Mobile Radio.   Essentially it is a radio that uses a digital voice encoding to optimize human speech for radio transmission.

So why would we want to use it?  Well, because it is also includes a way of accessing other radios and users world-wide through the internet, using inexpensive radios, and allows a number of ways to gain access.  DMR can "talk" or work through DMR repeaters in your area, or radio-to-radio, but the really exciting part of it is that there are now inexpensive "hotspots" that allow you use your home internet connection or mobile phone to access the network.  In the case of the Four States QRP group, it would allow us to have ad-hoc conversations regardless of where each of us is located, formal or informal nets, or even "spotting" nets to see who is on the air with frequencies, times, etc.  If our Talk Group is approved, we will have a platform for any or all of these activities, plus any others that fall within the realm of our amateur licenses.  (Even if it's not, there are other places we could congregate on DMR.)

I was skeptical about DMR until I got into it.  On the way to Dayton (Xenia) this year, I talked to hams along the way and even arranged to have lunch with a fellow ham in St. Louis.  There are folks who have more knowledge in their pinky finger than I have in my entire head.  I have spoken with Eric, 4Z1UG, as though he were next door. (Some of you might listen to his podcast, QSO Today).  I have done a lot of listening on the Baynet Talk Group, and picked up a lot of information that I would otherwise have had to spend hours researching.

Is there a downside?  Yes, sort of.  The radios are proprietary, so programming requires some planning and figuring out a "code plug" that will do what you want it to do and go where you want it to go. It also generally requires a computer and a cable for programming.  It is a bit more complicated than just entering a frequency and PL tone.  It's more that you have a target (Talk Group, or Individual), a "color code" (roughly equivalent to a PL tone), a time slot, so your radio knows which half of the conversation(s) it wants, and finally a frequency that allows you to get where you are going.  I didn't think it was going to be nearly as much fun though as I found it to be.

Is DMR Amateur Radio???  Well, yes and no.  It does involve RF, but it is also a voice-over-IP protocol using the Internet. I think of it more as a means to an end than "real radio." But in the end, Amateur Radio is about communicating and DMR does a good job of facilitating that.  Think of it as having a "local" repeater that any one of us can access at any time, regardless of our physical location.  That's why there is some excitement over the prospect of involving the Four States QRP folks in our own talk group.

If anyone has any questions, ask me and I will do my best to answer.  I'm not an expert, but hey - that's how we learn.

72,

Chas - NK8O

P.S. If you want to investigate prices, look at the most popular radios, such as the TYT MD-380 and the Anytone D868-uv.  For hotspots, check out the "OpenSpot" and look on HRO for "Zumspot"  I will stay away from others because I'm not as familiar with them.  Personally I have the Anytone and Zumspot. The Zumspot is based on a Raspberry Pi Zero, so the whole thing is about 1" x 1.5" x 2.75" or so.

Paul Smith

Cool BEANS! Chas! tnx

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Dwayne R <masterdr@...>

In other words, this is like that CQ-100 VOIP stuff, is this correct?

To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Date: Friday, September 14, 2018, 8:42 PM

[...]

Robin Kidd <w4ien@...>

How is DMR different than D-Star? Is it better, the same? Is there an advantage over D-Star?

72/73,
Robin
W4IEN
EM73vx

On September 14, 2018 at 9:42 PM "Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io" <doctorcwp@...> wrote:

[...]

How is DMR different from D-Star? Is it better? What advantage does it have over D-Star?

[...]

Gary E. Kohtala

I am well established on DMR with handhelds and mobile rigs. I like the idea of a talkgroup for us to coordinate and discuss QRP in general. What talk group are you anticipating for this purpose? Preferably one of the quieter less used ones. Thanks.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

Sent from BlueMail

On Sep 14, 2018, at 22:49, Paul Smith <n0nbd@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike Heitmann

There are three popular Digital Voice modes on VHF/UHF right now: DMR, System Fusion,  and D-STAR.  All of them are very similar, and all of them are 100% incompatible with each other.

The advantages of DMR over D-STAR or Fusion are inexpensive Chinese DMR radios. If you have a DMR repeater that accesses one of the DMR networks in range, a $100 DMR HT will get you on the air with world wide talk capability. If you’re not in range of a repeater, adding a $100 Digital Voice “Hotspot” will do the same thing.

$100 - $200 to get into DMR vs $500 or more for a D-STAR or Fusion Radio is a big plus.

Personally, I’m a big fan of D-STAR, I think the protocol is a better design and it uses your callsign to “route” your signal through the network. Since DMR is a commercial product being used in the Ham world, you need a separate DMR ID number (note: you can apply for one here: https://www.radioid.net/cgi-bin/trbo-database/register.cgi

I’m probably the wrong guy to ask which is “better”. I admit I’m biased. I’ve been on D-STAR since about 2006(?), and I was very involved in the development of an EMCOMM program called D-RATS that allows data (messages, forms, files, etc) to be transferred over the air while continuing to use the same radio for voice communication and (if the D-STAR radios have GPS) position tracking. So naturally, I think D-STAR is a better protocol.

But the availability of inexpensive radios and hotspots give DMR the advantage for now.

FYI: I’m listening to  DMR STL Metro (TG31292) and D-STAR Reflector REF038 C right now (yes, with a Digital Voice Hotspot, you can do both at the same time).

72 de Mike, N0SO

On Sep 14, 2018, at 10:57 PM, Robin Kidd <w4ien@...> wrote:

[...]

Greg Troxel

writes:

Is there a downside?  Yes, sort of.  The radios are proprietary, so
programming requires some planning and figuring out a "code plug" that
will do what you want it to do and go where you want it to go. It also
generally requires a computer and a cable for programming.  It is a
bit more complicated than just entering a frequency and PL tone.  It's
more that you have a target (Talk Group, or Individual), a "color
code" (roughly equivalent to a PL tone), a time slot, so your radio
knows which half of the conversation(s) it wants, and finally a
frequency that allows you to get where you are going.  I didn't think
it was going to be nearly as much fun though as I found it to be.
Besides the radio being proprietary, the protocol is not open, and hams
may not build their own equipment. The protocol other than voice
encoding is openly documented. But, the codec used, AMBE2, is both
patented and secret (although there are rumors it has been reverse
engineered). Technically the codec is not part of the DMR spec, but
there was an agreement among manufacturers to use it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_mobile_radio

DSTAR is much the same, except that a proprietary codec is part of the
spec.

I am not aware of any published protocol specs for Yaesu's system.

Now, if we could use codec2 over DMR, that would be cool.

Someone mentioned brandmeister. As I understand it there are multiple
DMR networks that are partially but not entirely cooperating, and I
don't understand anything more than that. So I am guessing this
talkgroup would only be on brandmeister, and not on DMR-MARC?

73 de n1dam

Charles W. Powell

I wouldn’t say that it is like the CQ-100. While it is possible to operate strictly with a computer, it’s generally not done that way. Second, there are no charges other than equipment, and finally, I would think of it more like an enormous linked repeater than VOIP. My 2¢ anyway.

72,

Chas - NK8O

To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Date: Friday, September 14, 2018, 8:42 PM

[...]

A couple of things. Yes, the codec for AMBE-2 has a proprietary element in it, but it is based on an open standard. I know -that doesn’t help much! Fusion uses the same codec as DMR, which is why they are easily translated one to the other. Fusion treats the TDMA aspects differently (Time Division Multiple Access).

And yes, there are three versions of DMR that are in use, but Brandmeister is by far the largest by orders of magnitude over the others. The Brandmeister protocols are open source, but at this point there is no need to re-invent the wheel. My TalkGroup application was made through Brandmeister.

My thought is this: DMR is a tool that Amateur Radio ops have co-opted for their own purposes. In that way, it is in the best spirit of the ham tradition. But we have been inundated by proprietary stuff, including D-Star, Fusion, and DMR. Efforts to unify these protocols are coming along.

Finally, I’m not suggesting that DMR is for everyone - just like digital HF modes, FT8, RTTY, or even SSB (definitely not for me!) But I do think it adds to our ability to communicate.

72,

Chas - NK8O

writes:

[...]

Theodore Ladowski

Chad NK8O
Read your write up on DMR yesterday. Spent the rest of the day researching it on the Internet.  I think it's something I would be interested in.
Apon researching radio's you sugested the TYT and the Anytone. I noticed pros  and cons on each one. Also I see they also come in multi band. Have you personally used these radio's, if so which one do you prefer. I also see some have GPS capabilities.
Thanks Ted KB9SKP

On Fri, Sep 14, 2018 at 20:42, Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io
<doctorcwp@...> wrote:
[...]

My radio is the Anytone D-868-uv, UHF/VHF DMR and analog.  I will freely admit that this is the only DMR radio I have used, but I chose it because it has crisp audio, and it will hold the entire DMR user database in the contact list.  I mention the TYT because those are cheap, ubiquitous, and the firmware has been hacked by hams to make it a little more suitable to our purposes.

The GPS doesn’t do a lot in the amateur radio implementation.  It can’t (to my knowledge) be used for APRS. It wasn’t a big selling point for me.  Apparently in commercial use it can be used to locate a “man down,” so we may see some changes in the amateur service usage, but I can’t say for sure.

Still waiting on a general response for our TalkGroup, but there’s no word as yet.

72,

Chas - NK8O

<doctorcwp@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks
I was sort of leaning towards the Anytone D868-uv also. I also think DMR is going to propagate in the USA

<doctorcwp@...> wrote:
[...]

Thomas Martin

I was looking on Amazon the non GPS model is 158.00 would that be a good price.

Tom Martin

<doctorcwp@...> wrote:
[...]

David Lininger

I just bought a new HT. My son, kc0dad, has a Chinese one that has DMR
capability and had suggested that I look at it. He's had his for a
couple of years now but has never used the DMR. For that reason, and the
fact that those cheap Chinese radios are notorious for not being all
that good on being on frequency made me decide to spend twice the money
for a Yaesu FT65.

NOW you come out with all the chatter about DMR. Why couldn't you have
done so two weeks ago? <grin>

Question: If I understand DMR correctly, I have to be able to hit a DMR
repeater, just like normal. Where it differs, though, is that somehow my
call to kc0dad gets routed to a DMR repeater where he is, and he then
answers me. Is that the way it works?

Related question: Assuming that the previous paragraph is correct, how
does the DMR system know which repeater is send my call to? Does it go
to every one? Surely not. Or does it work kind of like a cell phone
tower, where my cell phone identifies itself to any and all towers that
are withing range. When a call comes in for my phone the cell network
figures out where my phone is and routes the call to the best tower for me.

Might be something for me to learn more about. (As if I don't have
enough other things I need to study - starting with that Extra book I
have at my elbow.)

On 14/9/18 20:42, Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io wrote:
Digital Mobile Radio
--
David Lininger, kb0zke
Rev. 2:10

Charles W. Powell

David,

On Sep 15, 2018, at 9:24 PM, David Lininger <kb0zke@...> wrote:

I just bought a new HT. My son, kc0dad, has a Chinese one that has DMR
capability and had suggested that I look at it. He's had his for a
couple of years now but has never used the DMR. For that reason, and the
fact that those cheap Chinese radios are notorious for not being all
that good on being on frequency made me decide to spend twice the money
for a Yaesu FT65.

A good radio, so not a wasted investment.

NOW you come out with all the chatter about DMR. Why couldn't you have
done so two weeks ago? <grin>

20/20 hindsight!

Question: If I understand DMR correctly, I have to be able to hit a DMR
repeater, just like normal. Where it differs, though, is that somehow my
call to kc0dad gets routed to a DMR repeater where he is, and he then
answers me. Is that the way it works?

There are two ways to get into the DMR system.  First is through a DMR repeater and the second is through a hotspot like the Zumspot or OpenSpot.  With repeaters it’s also important to know the “flavor” as well, i.e., DMR Marc or Brandmeister.  Brandmeister is by far has the larger user base.  DMR Marc *may* allow you to talk to Brandmeister but not necessarily.  DMR Marc is restricted much more so than Brandmeister.

Related question: Assuming that the previous paragraph is correct, how
does the DMR system know which repeater is send my call to? Does it go
to every one? Surely not. Or does it work kind of like a cell phone
tower, where my cell phone identifies itself to any and all towers that
are withing range. When a call comes in for my phone the cell network
figures out where my phone is and routes the call to the best tower for me.

Assuming you have a DMR repeater or hotspot, the target of your transmission is determined by the TalkGroup, not the frequency to which your radio points.  Think of the TalkGroup number like a URL in a web browser.  In fact, it’s like putting the IP address in the browser bar.  DMR routing is based on TCP/IP protocols.  Your DMR ID and the TalkGroup designations are actually private IP addresses.  So if you program your radio to point to a talkgroup, say, 31075, and the frequency, color code, and time slot are correct, you will arrive at 31075 to chat.  If you leave everything the same except the TalkGroup and change the TalkGroup to 31201, with keying your transmitter the system will redirect you the new TalkGroup.  There are also some settings for static TalkGroups but that’s another discussion.  In answer to the last part, a TalkGroup can be tied to a repeater or repeater system but not necessarily.  The TalkGroup exists on a server in the ether.

Might be something for me to learn more about. (As if I don't have
enough other things I need to study - starting with that Extra book I
have at my elbow.)

On 14/9/18 20:42, Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io wrote:
Digital Mobile Radio

--
David Lininger, kb0zke
Rev. 2:10
kb0zke@...

Hope this helps.

72,

Chas - NK8O

Tim N9PUZ

I am NOT a DMR expert by any means. Our club has a DMR repeater here in Springfield, IL but we are waiting on a network connection to we can get it linked up to the various networks.

One thing I do recommend is to read the specs carefully on any radio you are considering buying. For proper operation a radio that is "Tier Two" capable is required. Some radios are not or at least a year ago some were not. (I do not know the details of what "Tier Two" gives you.)

I have a Tytera DM-380 UHF only radio. The audio quality on regular FM or DMR simplex and through our local repeater is excellent.

Tim N9PUZ

PS -- If some of you do further work on a talk group for 4SQRP or QRP in general we can setup a sub group here so we don't bore the main list with all this DMR talk. Just let me know.

Paul Smith

Sounds GREAT Tim,

 I am reading with interest and SLOWLY learning a little tnx de Paul N0NBD

Sent from Outlook

I am NOT a DMR expert by any means. Our club has a DMR repeater here in
Springfield, IL but we are waiting on a network connection to we can get
it linked up to the various networks.

One thing I do recommend is to read the specs carefully on any radio you
are considering buying. For proper operation a radio that is "Tier Two"
capable is required. Some radios are not or at least a year ago some
were not. (I do not know the details of what "Tier Two" gives you.)

I have a Tytera DM-380 UHF only radio. The audio quality on regular FM
or DMR simplex and through our local repeater is excellent.

Tim N9PUZ

PS -- If some of you do further work on a talk group for 4SQRP or QRP in
general we can setup a sub group here so we don't bore the main list
with all this DMR talk. Just let me know.

Johnny AC0BQ

Hello Tim
Would you go ahead and setup the subgroup for DMR discussions.
I think this would be a great place
To discuss the details.
Thanks
Johnny AC0BQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Theodore Ladowski

I think think forming a DMR subgroup is a excellent idea. I'm game. It would be a great way to share ideas and most of all to learn
Ted KB9SKP