From: main@4SQRP.groups.io <main@4SQRP.groups.io> on behalf of George H. Gates via Groups.Io <w2bpi1@...>
Sent: Monday, December 10, 2018 9:39 PM
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Subject: [4SQRP] G5RV Antenna

If you are using a G5RV what are you using for the balun? Not interested in any ones opinion wether ant is good or not. just comment on balun. Tnx Geo/W2BPI

Don, W9EBK

I had a home brewed G5RV some years ago.  I used a LDG 4:1 balun to match the  450 Ohm ladder-line. It seemed to work as well as any other G5RV I have experienced.
Don, W9EBK

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018, 3:39 PM George H. Gates via Groups.Io <w2bpi1=aol.com@groups.io wrote:
If you are using a G5RV what are you using for the balun? Not interested in any ones opinion wether ant is good or not. just comment on balun. Tnx Geo/W2BPI

Martin

No balun on mine. Goes directly to coax which goes to the tuner. It works well with minimal RF in the shack. It's been my primary antenna for more than ten years.

Martin
K0BXB

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018, 3:39 PM George H. Gates via Groups.Io <w2bpi1=aol.com@groups.io wrote:
If you are using a G5RV what are you using for the balun? Not interested in any ones opinion wether ant is good or not. just comment on balun. Tnx Geo/W2BPI

W9QS

I’ve used the G5RV for years.  No balun and followed the original p,an by adjusting the ladderline to coax connection for the lowest SWR on 20 WITHOUT the tuner.

My 2 cents worth

On Monday, December 10, 2018, 3:39 PM, George H. Gates via Groups.Io <w2bpi1@...> wrote:

If you are using a G5RV what are you using for the balun? Not interested in any ones opinion wether ant is good or not. just comment on balun. Tnx Geo/W2BPI

Frank Perkins

Twenty years ago, my G5RV came with a balun.
Dipole with coil in each leg, a length of window line from the center feedpoint, then a balun with SO239 to connect with 50ohm coax to shack.
 Worked great with ends about 38 ft, and middle sagged to about 35 ft.
I fed it with about 50ft of RG-8 coax running along the ground to the balun dangling about 2 ft up from the ground.
If yours didn't come with a 4 to 1 balun, buy or make one.

On Dec 10, 2018 1:39 PM, "George H. Gates via Groups.Io" <w2bpi1=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
If you are using a G5RV what are you using for the balun? Not interested in any ones opinion wether ant is good or not. just comment on balun. Tnx Geo/W2BPI

Dave Benson

George-

I use a homebrewed dual-core (Guanella) balun. It's in a 4x4" weatherproof ABS enclosure mounted just outside my shack window.

73- Dave, K1SWL

On Mon, Dec 10, 2018 at 4:39 PM George H. Gates via Groups.Io <w2bpi1=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
If you are using a G5RV what are you using for the balun? Not interested in any ones opinion wether ant is good or not. just comment on balun. Tnx Geo/W2BPI

Bob - K2KI

I use 21' of coax wrapped so its inside diameter is 6" with coax feed on one end and straight to 450 Ohm Ladder Line.
Been using this for years and I have little to no trouble tuning the beast. Works QRP or QRO.
My 2 cents.
--
73...
Bob de k2ki
On 12/10/2018 4:39 PM, George H. Gates via Groups.Io wrote:

If you are using a G5RV what are you using for the balun? Not interested in any ones opinion wether ant is good or not. just comment on balun. Tnx Geo/W2BPI

davemrtn <davemrtn@...>

I use a MFJ 1:1 isolator balun on my G5RV.  The 1:1 connects to the 450 ohm on the downlead and my coax connects to the 1:1.

Is it good or bad ???  I don't know, but I do know I have a QSL card from South Africa for a contact I made using the G5RV with the 1:1 and using my Yaesu FT-817.  And by the way, it was a SSB Phone contact !!!

One other note, I am using 100 feet of LMR400 from the shack out to the 1:1 isolator.  And I do use a tuner, a MFJ-971.  The tuner has meters on it, but I have an Oak Hills Research WM-2 QRP wattmeter between the radio and the tuner so I can see what the reflected power is mush better than I can with the MFJ included meters.

Wherever I go, there He is.
Recycle, Reuse, Re-purpose, Repair
>Professional Sports - An activity for small minds<
!! There is a reason it is called "Sports Trivia" !!