Topics

MicroVert Antenna

N1KWW <bgrass2@...>

Curious if anyone has built this antenna, seems to work ok. Any thoughts? N1KWW

N1KWW <bgrass2@...>

I built several but about 10 years ago when bands were good. They work very well considering how small they are A ham John Moore has a site and I saw it just 3 weeks ago. However with bands bad and no sun spots in would not waste my time. I been doing great with end fed antennas as per Steve Yates site AA5TB. Bob AF2DX

N1KWW <bgrass2@...> wrote:

Curious if anyone has built this antenna, seems to work ok. Any thoughts? N1KWW

N1KWW <bgrass2@...>

Thanks for the info, have an end fed or OCF in the works. Just need some warm weather.

N1KWW <bgrass2@...> wrote:

Curious if anyone has built this antenna, seems to work ok. Any thoughts? N1KWW

Dwayne R <masterdr@...>

Think of it as your basic RF propagation and radio wave. . .

The longer the antenna, the more the RF passes through, which gives a better
signal. . .any antenna that is very small starts acting like a rubber duck. Way
to short of an antenna means a very weak signal on receive as well as transmit.

The only way we talk to each other is propagation. In poor propagation, you
need a really good antenna to make contact. In excellent propagation, you
can communicate 100's of miles by using a dummy load. (I have talked
from Wichita to Dallas Texas using a Heahtkit Cantenna).
.
Small antennas mean poorer receive and poorer transmit. There is a huge
reason why the halfwave dipole or inverted vee are such a popular and good
antenna.
1. They are very long, and have no "loads/Traps" or "coils" on them.
2. They are cheap and very inexpensive to build.
3. They do not fool the wave into thinking they are longer than what they are.
4. They work well with most propagation scenarios.

In other words, I wouldn't waste my time building anything less than a
half wave ________ (fill in the blank). Anything less will surely start
limiting your capabilities. Then when you run QRP, you are severely
limiting your capabilities even .

Buy 50 feet of coax, 50 foot of speaker wire, cut 32 feet of length,
split it down the center, and attach a wire to each end of the 50 ohm
line. If you want, add a few extra feet so you can trim the antenna
to the frequency you want.

Dwayne (Ka0aam)

Subject: [4SQRP] MicroVert Antenna
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Date: Wednesday, December 26, 2018, 6:06 PM

Curious if anyone has built this
antenna, seems to work ok. Any thoughts? N1KWW

N1KWW <bgrass2@...>

Totally agree! Living in a "senior" facility cramps one's operating style. Trying to remain as inobtrusive as I can. Thanks. N1KWW

 To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
 Date: Wednesday, December 26, 2018, 6:06 PM

 Curious if anyone has built this
 antenna, seems to work ok. Any thoughts? N1KWW

d balfour <davesters@...>

More wire has been good for me as well. My radios vary from 5w to about 70w max output. I insisted on having tuned antennas but gradually have deviated and gone to the more is better. Our (xyl is a ham too) latest creation is an 1150 foot horizontal loop fed into a homemade 4:1 current balun into coax back into a manual tuner.

It is at the same time quieter and gives better signal reports than my other antennas mostly dipoles and a 40 m loop.

I see (hear) hams who use and brag on air that everyone on 40 needs an amp or they don't belong. huh.

Sorry for deviating off topic Pretty hard to be portable except on the deck with a big loop.
73
Dave

N1KWW <bgrass2@...>

Previous wire antenna farm had loop for 160 roughly 560 feet. Competed with those running maximum power.
Yes, I was happy. Now everything is scaled down to a 43 foot dipole wrapped around three sides of building. When weather warms up will
put up an off center fed with 4-1 balun. (My spell check selected balloon, baling and blain)
Building a 20mm QRP rig and placed a semiconductor backwards. Have tried the usual methods, solder sucker and wick to no avail. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

On Thu, Dec 27, 2018 at 4:45 PM d balfour <davesters@...> wrote:
More wire has been good for me as well. My radios vary from 5w to about 70w max output. I insisted on having tuned antennas but gradually have deviated and gone to the more is better. Our (xyl is a ham too) latest creation is an 1150 foot horizontal loop fed into a homemade 4:1 current balun into coax back into a manual tuner.

It is at the same time quieter and gives better signal reports than my other antennas mostly dipoles and a 40 m loop.

I see (hear) hams who use and brag on air that everyone on 40 needs an amp or they don't belong. huh.

Sorry for deviating off topic Pretty hard to be portable except on the deck with a big loop.
73
Dave

Dwayne R <masterdr@...>

There are two ways to increase your effective power output.

1. enlarge your antenna by lengthening it, or adding elements.
2. Purchasing a linear.

Each time you double your power, you have a 3db increase
in strength. It takes 6db to make 1 S unit.

A linear taking a 100 watt transmittter to 1000 watts is
approx 10db of gain
100 to 200 (3db)
200 to 400 (3db)
400 to 800 (3db).
800 to 1000 (round to 1 db).

That is a little over a unit and a half of mathematical
(not reality) gain.

Take a half wave dipole. . .double it, you have approx 3db
double that again, you have another 3db, or 1 s unit.

Long wires allow more of the magnetic radiation to
travel through it. Just like wrapping more wire around
a core will increase the magnetic power.

I have 600 feet of wire in a loop. It is only 10 feet off the ground,
and the lowest point I run into with a riding lawnmower, hanging myself.
Someday soon it will be at 35 feet, but until then. . .

I use 100 watts of power, and my friends use AL80's and other
amps. My signal is almost as good as theirs on 40 meters.

You want a station? The antenna is your most important item.
If you can't get an antenna that does a good job, then your next
alternative is a Amp.

QRP means exactly that QRP, not a AMP. . .That means your
focus should be, and stay at your antenna. Rubber Ducky
antennas and QRP do not work well at all, unless the propagation
is strong.

It is great to see all these antenna designs. . .small, compact,
portable, and amazing in every way. People can brag they
talked to people across the ocean, 1000's of miles away. But
they either ignore one thing, or are completely oblivious to it. . .

You CAN'T talk without propagation!

The better the propagation, the easier the hop, the less of an
antenna you need, and the less power you need to make a
contact.

The poorer the propagation, the more power you need, the
better antenna you need, and the hop will be far weaker.

You are already at a HUGE disadvantage, and that is
running low power. So, to compensate for that disadvantage,
you can either make it up by a Amp, or Antenna. Since you
are not going to use an Amp. . .

DON'T SKIP out and build a Rubber Duck Antenna.

Fancy and pretty are not good. Effective and reliable is
the key to making QRP like any other 100 watt radio out
there.

Dwayne (Ka0aam)

Sorry for the Ramble. . .

I just hate to see people get caught up into antennas
that are worth about 2 cents, when they have the
capabilities to build an antenna for 20 dollars that will
out preform these things 10 fold. . . without the
complexity. . .

Subject: Re: [4SQRP] MicroVert Antenna
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Date: Thursday, December 27, 2018, 6:20 AM

More wire has been good for me as
well. My radios vary from 5w to about 70w max output. I
insisted on having tuned antennas but gradually have
deviated and gone to the more is better. Our (xyl is a ham
too) latest creation is an 1150 foot horizontal loop fed
into a homemade 4:1 current balun into coax back into a
manual tuner.

It is at the
same time quieter and gives better signal reports than my
other antennas mostly dipoles and a 40 m loop.

I see (hear) hams who use and
brag on air that everyone on 40 needs an amp or they
don't belong. huh.

Sorry for deviating off topic Pretty hard to be
portable except on the deck with a big loop.
73
Dave

Duane Brayton

You have lost the mismounted semiconductor. Cut the leads with a flush sidecutter or xacto blade as close to the semiconductor as possible and tip it up or remove it.  That should allow you to remove the remaining leads from the thruholes with soldering iron & tweezers or push them out backwards.
Do not overheat and damage the PCB. Good luck.
Duane KE0IUV

Sent from TypeApp

On Dec 27, 2018, at 2:53 PM, N1KWW <bgrass2@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks, and I was being so careful!!!

On Fri, Dec 28, 2018 at 4:02 PM Duane Brayton <dwbrayton@...> wrote:
[...]

We have all done it if we have done any building at all, so don't feel bad.

Sent from TypeApp

On Dec 28, 2018, at 1:13 PM, N1KWW <bgrass2@...> wrote:
[...]

Paul AI4EE

There's a Youtube video on surface mount tech that details removing an IC with a process that should work on through hole as well. Check it out.

On 12/28/2018 1:12 PM, N1KWW wrote:
[...]

Gary E. Kohtala

I've also done it. Somehow I wasn't paying attention and got an IC installed backwards in a wattmeter kit.   Removing the errant device is on top of my to do list,  along with getting my Hilltoppers built. I may install a socket this time around. Not sure if that would generate further problems down the road. I am going to bring in the new year with a deluxe hot air soldering station, the X-tronic #6040. This should aid my efforts to complete my wattmeter and Hilltopper construction. Wish me luck..

Happy new year!

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

Sent from BlueMail

On Dec 28, 2018, at 10:21, Duane Brayton <dwbrayton@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for letting me know I am not alone! This is my first attempt at building a kit. When/if successful can take my place among those who have gone before.

On Fri, Dec 28, 2018 at 10:04 PM Gary Kohtala via Groups.Io <gary.k7ek=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

John - KK4ITX

Definitely not alone, many times things haven’t gone right during 75 years of messing around.  Big smiles when something works the first time, DIY if you can, might cost more in the end but you can write off the extra $$ to education !

John
Kk4itx

If you need a parachute and don't have one you probably won't need one again.

On Dec 28, 2018, at 19:10, N1KWW <bgrass2@...> wrote:

[...]

Thomas Martin

I agree with John anyone can have that Oh no moment and when it does work it’s a great feeling.
Nice thing about this group there is always somebody to help out.
Glad to see more people wanting to build kits careful it will become addictive.

Tom
K0amd

On Dec 28, 2018, at 6:29 PM, jleahy00 via Groups.Io <jleahy00@...> wrote:

[...]

If you have a hot air station & hot tweezers, it's a breeze. If not, back to old school.  Most important thing is to not damage the board and I've replaced hundreds of IC's under varying conditions as a Tech/Test Engineer.
72s & Happy New Year.
Duane KE0IUV

Sent from TypeApp

On Dec 28, 2018, at 5:04 PM, "Gary Kohtala via Groups.Io" <yahoo.com@groups.io target=_blank>gary.k7ek=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Success in removing part, tweezers and iron removed wires. Thanks.

On Fri, Dec 28, 2018 at 8:05 PM Duane Brayton <dwbrayton@...> wrote:
[...]

You're more than welcome.
72 Duane

Sent from TypeApp