Topics

40m Net

dekle <dekle@...>

Hello all.
I'm looking for someone to take over the 40m Wednesday Night CW Net.
I haven't had much luck lately and was wondering if someone else would be able to make more contacts than I have been able to.
Thanks.
Bill
KV6Z

Ruth A Mumaw

It is not your fault! Hopefully propagation will soon return. Depending on where NCS is located I may not be able to QNI.  RUSS  K3NLT

On January 28, 2019, at 3:46 PM, dekle <dekle@...> wrote:

Hello all.
I'm looking for someone to take over the 40m Wednesday Night CW Net.
I haven't had much luck lately and was wondering if someone else would be able to make more contacts than I have been able to.
Thanks.
Bill
KV6Z

John KK4ITX

Bill,

Probably the only way to get more checked in is to have other ears and either relay or conduct the net by regions ?   I guess others hear me but not you.  If I was proficient I probably could relay for them/ you, but I’m not.

Hey, What do I know, I can just about get my Call out ?

 Don’t be discouraged it should get better.

John
KK4ITX

If you need a parachute and don't have one you probably won't need one again.

On Jan 28, 2019, at 17:38, Ruth A Mumaw <k3nlt@...> wrote:

It is not your fault! Hopefully propagation will soon return. Depending on where NCS is located I may not be able to QNI.  RUSS  K3NLT

On January 28, 2019, at 3:46 PM, dekle <dekle@...> wrote:

Hello all.
I'm looking for someone to take over the 40m Wednesday Night CW Net.
I haven't had much luck lately and was wondering if someone else would be able to make more contacts than I have been able to.
Thanks.
Bill
KV6Z

Johnny Matlock

Ge Bill
I have been considering moving the net to a earlier time slot.
I would be lucky to be home in time to call at 7:00?
What do you think about a time change?

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Jeff Logullo N0̸MII

Speaking of relays... and also freely admitting I'm not at all proficient with net check-in procedures...

Can someone describe how relays work? I guess I'd like to read a description of how it works, both as the "station who cannot be heard by NCS" and as the potential relay station.

I can imagine things getting rather chaotic :-) but I also know there must be a logical way for this to happen.

Thanks,
Jeff N0̸MII

On Jan 28, 2019, at 5:34 PM, jleahy00 via Groups.Io <jleahy00@...> wrote:

Bill,

Probably the only way to get more checked in is to have other ears and either relay or conduct the net by regions ?   I guess others hear me but not you.  If I was proficient I probably could relay for them/ you, but I’m not.

Hey, What do I know, I can just about get my Call out ?

 Don’t be discouraged it should get better.

John
KK4ITX

--
Jeff N0̷MII

Dave Benson

Jeff-

If someone's not being heard, you can get NCS's attention and send 'QSP',meaning 'relay'. When acknowledged by NCS, you send their call..  Assuming it's an informal net, the weak station will get credit for the check-in  ('QNI')

In general, listening to a few net sessions will give you a feel for how it flows.  If it's a traffic-oriented net, there's more to know, and resources should be available online.

73- Dave

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 7:01 PM Jeff Logullo N0̸MII <jeff@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Jeff,

Well here's what I do for relays:

When I call "CQ 4S NET" and get no replies, I send

"NIL ANY QSP ?  K". (I may do this at two different times - once after the first QNI list is generated and later, when the list is exhausted and I get no additional replies.

At that point, if you hear a station that I didn't hear, you can send

"(Your Call)  QSP".

That tells me you hear someone. Then I will send "QSP GA".

At that point you QSO with the station you heard and get his (or her) information. (Note to the station that needs the relay - this is not the time to tell your life's story - just your name, QTH, RST for both the relaying station and the NCS, and a TNX to the relaying station will do.) Then the relaying station will call the NCS with the info. Something like this - "KV6Z de N0MII   Gertrude in Cleveland, Ohio sez ur 229 and I am 579 / AR de NoMII k. I will acknowledge the receipt of the info and then I will either call CQ 4S Net again, ask for additional QSPs, or conclude the net - whichever is appropriate.

73

Bill

KV6Z

On 28/01/2019 6:01 pm, Jeff Logullo N0̸MII wrote:

[...]

Hi Johnny,

I don't know what 80m would be like at 7:00.

I just worry that it's not fair for someone who tries to check in every week just can't hear me. I don't really know what the best thing to do is.

Bill

KV6Z

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com
_._,_._,_

--
73's Pat  N5VMO

Charles W. Powell

Bill,

I think the problem is just at 40 meters is WAY too long at 2000 central during the winter. The net *might* work at 1900, and when I first started with these nets, the first one started at 1900.  The times were moved back for summer, because it was still daylight and the bands were too short, but they never were adjusted when winter came back around.  I think that was 2 years ago, but I wouldn’t swear to it.  Remember that over the summer, even though my logins were sporadic, I made it into just about every weekly net (when I was available) on both 40 and 80.  Then winter came with shorter days and the time change.  Effectively, we go around four hours later into darkness hours during the winter months.

So I know this only suggests a solution (different start time) that may or may not work with current band conditions.  If someone is available, I’d be happy to experiment with folks to see what times, if any, work, but I can’t do it this week because I am out of town.  I could be part of some experimentation next week on the 6th of February.  We could coordinate through the talkgroup.

Another *possible* change that won’t work for a lot of folks is to go to 160m.  I find 160 very challenging because 1) some of my radios don’t have that band, 2) antennas are a problem, and 3) the NOISE on 160 is impressive.

# Tangent.  The following is a tangent.  Stop now if you’ve already had enough! #

Having said all that, I discovered working last month that what “the old timers” say about dealing with noise.  We are all used to cranking the AF gain to try to hear signals.  That works fine on upper bands, but on 60, 80, and 160, the adjustment should be primarily through the RF gain.  Why? Let me put it this way: If you have S9 noise and you turn up the AF gain on the radio, the noise becomes overwhelming.  You know there is a signal that you can hear, but the noise is so loud, you can’t listen for more than a few minutes before you want to throw your headphones across the room.  If you reduce the RF gain to where the noise is at a tolerable level, then that signal is suddenly audible at a reasonable level over the noise.  You have optimized your signal-to-noise ratio by reducing the noise in the mix.  You might ask, “Doesn’t this reduce the sensitivity of the receiver?”  Well, yes, it does.  But if your noise is S-whatever, everything below that level is useless to you. So why amplify the noise and increase your level of fatigue?  The only thing to remember is to turn the RF gain back up when you change bands.  Otherwise you’ll think the front-end of your radio is blown!

The point?  Well, if you are trying to check into the 80 meter net, you know there are signals you can hear, and the noise is overwhelming, try this technique.

# End tangent #

72,

Chas - NK8O

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Tim McDonough N9PUZ

The RF Gain control is the unsung here of any full featured radio. New hams are constantly amazed at turning up the volume and riding the RF Gain control to listen to other stations.

Tim / N9PUZ

On 1/30/2019 1:19 AM, Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io wrote:
# Tangent.  The following is a tangent.  Stop now if you’ve already had enough! #

Having said all that, I discovered working last month that what “the old timers” say about dealing with noise.  We are all used to cranking the AF gain to try to hear signals.  That works fine on upper bands, but on 60, 80, and 160, the adjustment should be primarily through the RF gain.

WA0ITP

Good observations Chas, and FB coaching on the RF gain control.  Yes it's an excellent way to run a receiver.

Perhaps a solution for net time would be to specify Zulu and let CST and CDT wander around on their own.  IIRC, at one time, the 80M net began at 0130z, and the 40M net convened earlier, at 0100z I think.  Prop was better then tho.

Chas, I'd like to experiment on a new starting time, but I'll be out of town until mid, maybe late  Feb with no rig.  Perhaps others want to try out the bands at new times.

Another way of increasing checkins would be to post notes on various reflectors e.g QRP-L, QRP-Tech, KQ0RP, SLQS and any other groups that come to mind.

Let's keep plugging away and make the nets better.
72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Johnny Matlock

Ge group
I'm listening at 3.564 just to see if I can detect any difference in 80 at a earlier time.
Call if you can we will give it a shot.

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Johnny Matlock

Hello Chas
Well, I snagged A Tn station on
My first CQ!
When you get back home we can give it a try at earlier time.
About the earliest I can make it is 7:00
Pm due to my late arrivals from work!
73
Stay Warm.
Johnny AC0BQ