Topics

First soldering project

_Dave_K0MBT

My wife ke0qfr wanted a project to practice soldering on. I suggested that she try the Pixie.

Seemed like most Chinese distributed kits contained a 7.023 mc crystal. Out of band for a General. We both scoured the web and found one on Ebay that includes a socket and a selection of crystals. https://www.ebay.com/itm/40M-CW-Pixie-Kit-transceiver-with-7-023-30-35-40-45-48-50-55MHz-FREE-SHIP/162514488637 The distributor is US based, should have delivery in a few days. I found an altoids tin a case.

She has been working on ditties for some time and although she is not ready for much of a qso, is getting there.
73
Dave
k0mbt

Gwen Patton

I got a multi-crystal switch board and a bunch of crystals from "possumlodge" on Ebay. He's very responsive to questions, and his prices are good. I got 40m crystals for my Pixies, 80m for my Cricket 80a and my old Tixie, and some 30m crystals for my Cricket 30. The Pixie Switch board can work with any of them, so I may get some more of those switch kits.

Here's possumlodge's page on Ebay:

73,
Gwen, NG3P

--

-+-+-+-+-
Jenny Everywhere's Infinite: Quark Time

Rob <roomberg@...>

I had a lot of fun and learned a lot from building this receiver:
http://www.learnmorsecode.com/DC/index.html
Total components cost was about $6.
I spent more on batteries than I did on the parts.

and I used a 7.16 mHz ceramic resonator which tunes all over 40 meter CW without being rock bound.

Perhaps you may want to scratch build something instead of rely on kits.

On 02/02/2019 05:57 PM, d balfour wrote:
My wife ke0qfr wanted a project to practice soldering on. I suggested that she try the Pixie.

Seemed like most Chinese distributed kits contained a 7.023 mc crystal. Out of band for a General. We both scoured the web and found one on Ebay that includes a socket and a selection of crystals. https://www.ebay.com/itm/40M-CW-Pixie-Kit-transceiver-with-7-023-30-35-40-45-48-50-55MHz-FREE-SHIP/162514488637 The distributor is US based, should have delivery in a few days. I found an altoids tin a  case.

She has been working on ditties for some time and although she is not ready for much of a qso, is getting there.
73
Dave
k0mbt

Dave W0DCX

I am new to 4SQRP group and have been learning a lot from following some of these email threads, so thanks all.

This Pixie kit looks like a ton of fun for the money. Can someone tell me the power output?

73,
Dave
W0DCX

On Feb 2, 2019, at 4:57 PM, d balfour <davesters@...> wrote:

My wife ke0qfr wanted a project to practice soldering on. I suggested that she try the Pixie.

Seemed like most Chinese distributed kits contained a 7.023 mc crystal. Out of band for a General. We both scoured the web and found one on Ebay that includes a socket and a selection of crystals. https://www.ebay.com/itm/40M-CW-Pixie-Kit-transceiver-with-7-023-30-35-40-45-48-50-55MHz-FREE-SHIP/162514488637 The distributor is US based, should have delivery in a few days. I found an altoids tin a case.

She has been working on ditties for some time and although she is not ready for much of a qso, is getting there.
73
Dave
k0mbt

Brian Crittendon

100mw to 350 mw Mark/WQ8S

On Saturday, February 2, 2019, 8:10:02 PM EST, W0DCX <gatc54@...> wrote:

I am new to 4SQRP group and have been learning a lot from following some of these email threads, so thanks all.

This Pixie kit looks like a ton of fun for the money.  Can someone tell me the power output?

73,
Dave
W0DCX

> On Feb 2, 2019, at 4:57 PM, d balfour <davesters@...> wrote:
>
> My wife ke0qfr wanted a project to practice soldering on. I suggested that she try the Pixie.
>
> Seemed like most Chinese distributed kits contained a 7.023 mc crystal. Out of band for a General. We both scoured the web and found one on Ebay that includes a socket and a selection of crystals. https://www.ebay.com/itm/40M-CW-Pixie-Kit-transceiver-with-7-023-30-35-40-45-48-50-55MHz-FREE-SHIP/162514488637 The distributor is US based, should have delivery in a few days. I found an altoids tin a  case.
>
> She has been working on ditties for some time and although she is not ready for much of a qso, is getting there.
> 73
> Dave
> k0mbt

Carl Gansen

I'd recommend adding a 4 States Hi-Per-Mite kit audio filter to make it more enjoyable to use.
72
Carl WB0CFF

Gwen Patton

I'll try that. I have a Hi-Per-Mite lot in my box of small kits waiting to be built.

Gwen, NG3P

Jim Pruitt

Hello Gwen.

That is also KC9ON, John Clements.  I am not sure if John is a member of this list but he is a member of several QRP related lists.  His website is:
https://kc9on.com/
and his "store" is at:
https://kc9on.com/shop/

John is a great guy to deal with and is an avid qrp'er as well. You will find quite a few products on his website.

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY

On 2/2/2019 3:32 PM, Gwen Patton wrote:
[...]

John Clements

Thanks for the Ebay mention Gwen!

There are more Pixie & QRP goodies on the main web site including a Pixie, Switch, & Crystals bundled together.  Most of the kits are geared toward easy building.

73 John kc9on

David Wilcox

Also try John, KC9ON, at 3rd Planet Solar over in Gaylord, MI. He has tons of crystals and also a switch board to use many crystals and just switch between them. HW 8 stuff and repair, among many other things for hams.

Dave K8WPE

On Feb 2, 2019, at 5:57 PM, d balfour <davesters@...> wrote:

My wife ke0qfr wanted a project to practice soldering on. I suggested that she try the Pixie.

Seemed like most Chinese distributed kits contained a 7.023 mc crystal. Out of band for a General. We both scoured the web and found one on Ebay that includes a socket and a selection of crystals. https://www.ebay.com/itm/40M-CW-Pixie-Kit-transceiver-with-7-023-30-35-40-45-48-50-55MHz-FREE-SHIP/162514488637 The distributor is US based, should have delivery in a few days. I found an altoids tin a case.

She has been working on ditties for some time and although she is not ready for much of a qso, is getting there.
73
Dave
k0mbt

_Dave_K0MBT

No words of encouragement for a new solderess?

One of the reasons she chose this particular kit is that included a handful of crystals.

Bill Lamm

Edited

Take your time..  deep breaths but not of the smoke..  treat the iron like a hot pan from the oven.. don't pick it up until you know where you are going with it and that you have someplace to put it when you get there.  Solder flows when it's ready.. be patient..

_Dave_K0MBT

for practice I desoldered an old board and asked her to resolder them yesterday. Almost all were good the first time and all were fine after a rework.

Neil Goldstein

Dave,

If you like the idea of the Pixie, but want a more usable version, try the one from Nightfire Electronics:
http://vakits.com/catalog/ham-radio-kits
They sell an improved version of the Pixie that comes with your choice of crystals on better frequencies for US Hams.

Also, Rex from QRPme sells an easy-build version of his Tuna Tun Transmitter for beginners.  A little more $$ than the Pixie, but well designed and supported:
http://qrpme.com/?p=product&id=EZB

--Neil, W2NDG
http://www.radiokitgiude.com

Neil Goldstein

That's Tuna TIN !  Damn these cold fingers  :-)

WA0ITP

Don't forget the Cricket family.
http://www.4sqrp.com/cricket30.php
https://www.tindie.com/products/NM0S_qrp/cricket-80a-minimalist-80m-cw-transceiver/

They are very easy to build and are competent little transceivers. Far more so than the Pixie's, IMHO.  I have built several Pixies over the years but have been unable make reliable contacts with them.  OTOH I have 26 Qs on my Cricket 80 and hold Cricketeer certificate #2 http://www.4sqrp.com/kits/Night_Insect/cricketsociety.html

Check out the Crickets and have fun.

72 WAØITP
I love this radio stuff.
On 2/3/2019 10:18 AM, Neil Goldstein wrote:

Dave,

If you like the idea of the Pixie, but want a more usable version, try the one from Nightfire Electronics:
http://vakits.com/catalog/ham-radio-kits
They sell an improved version of the Pixie that comes with your choice of crystals on better frequencies for US Hams.

Also, Rex from QRPme sells an easy-build version of his Tuna Tun Transmitter for beginners.  A little more $$ than the Pixie, but well designed and supported:
http://qrpme.com/?p=product&id=EZB

--Neil, W2NDG
http://www.radiokitgiude.com

_Dave_K0MBT

Yeah but she has the Pixie on order as I stated in the first post. No jumping the gun hams.

Carl Gansen

Here is a couple examples of what to expect with Pixie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZDeMXy4WGc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz7wefTTz6w

David Wilcox

Don't forget Breadboard Radio.  They have great first time kits.

Dave K8WPE

On Feb 3, 2019, at 6:51 PM, Carl Gansen <wb0cff@...> wrote:

_Dave_K0MBT

Hi Dave
Thanks for your comments, she has the pixie to build I don't think she will be wanting to build the 50 dollar kit.

Her regular hf radio is a ubitx. Paid 70 for the used boards and slipped it into an old vcr case. She uses it for ssb and digital modes. Gets good signal reports on the 80 meter loop.

Carl
Really enjoyed looking at all the spurs on the band display of the previously mentioned videos. Pretty unimpressive. Not a good candidate for an amp without cleanup.
Dave