Topics

First soldering project

d balfour <davesters@...>

Hi Steve
Thanks I imported the file into my computer and sized it to fit smd transistors. If I decide to build one that small going to have to a coffee free day. How did your's go?
The little bugger receives and transmits.

sigcom1

"Am sure this design could be rebuilt as SMD and be size of a postage stamp."

Already been done, decades ago:  The KnightSMiTe:

< http://www.knightlites.org/projects/knightsmite/index.htm >

73,,,,,,,Steve Smith WB6TNL
               "Snort Rosin"

Yep Brian qrp has come a long way.
Am sure this design could be rebuilt as SMD and be size of a postage stamp.

Too bad hf antennas have not found a way to be miniaturized in the same way.

Brian Crittendon

I built my first QRP transmitter on a Sucrest's box. 6V6, plug in coils,180v power supply. The transformer hung over the edge. They had just come out with thous diode full wave bridges that were about as big as your thumb nail and I mounted my filter cap on top of the transformer.  

On Friday, February 8, 2019, 2:09:42 PM EST, John T. Fitzer <John.fitzer@...> wrote:

WOW that’s impressive. I love really small radios so much that I have two ATS 3 rigs in altoids tins. In fact I have a lot of gear built in those tins. Ok ok it's a bad habit I know, but it's better than my last habit BOOZE Hi Hi 72 W3BNO

-----Original Message-----
From: main@4SQRP.groups.io [mailto:main@4SQRP.groups.io] On Behalf Of d balfour
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2019 12:35 PM
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] First soldering project

I Designed and printed a plastic box for her radio.  Still fits in the eye glass case for carrying around. Puts out a carrier. So now to make a small straight key. Hopefully one that will fit in the case along with the radio. Maybe one sided ear plug.

A most interesting design. Seems to pick up a lot of stations at once not much selectivity but better sensitivity than I would have thought.
http://veloliner.com/ham/pixiencase.JPG

Brian Crittendon

Could you try adding a crystal in line to the receiver like a 49er. I'm using an audio filter on my DC receivers. 

On Friday, February 8, 2019, 1:34:56 PM EST, d balfour <davesters@...> wrote:

I Designed and printed a plastic box for her radio.  Still fits in the eye glass case for carrying around. Puts out a carrier. So now to make a small straight key. Hopefully one that will fit in the case along with the radio. Maybe one sided ear plug.

A most interesting design. Seems to pick up a lot of stations at once not much selectivity but better sensitivity than I would have thought.

John T. Fitzer

WOW that’s impressive. I love really small radios so much that I have two ATS 3 rigs in altoids tins. In fact I have a lot of gear built in those tins. Ok ok it's a bad habit I know, but it's better than my last habit BOOZE Hi Hi 72 W3BNO

-----Original Message-----
From: main@4SQRP.groups.io [mailto:main@4SQRP.groups.io] On Behalf Of d balfour
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2019 12:35 PM
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] First soldering project

I Designed and printed a plastic box for her radio. Still fits in the eye glass case for carrying around. Puts out a carrier. So now to make a small straight key. Hopefully one that will fit in the case along with the radio. Maybe one sided ear plug.

I Designed and printed a plastic box for her radio. Still fits in the eye glass case for carrying around. Puts out a carrier. So now to make a small straight key. Hopefully one that will fit in the case along with the radio. Maybe one sided ear plug.

Well she lit it up with a 9v battery, headphones and her 80 meter loop antenna and behold a string of morse when powered.

Yes you mentioned that Carl and that most of the spikes were caused by the setup.
Thank you
Dave

Carl Gansen

Hello Dave,

The "spurs" that you are seeing are not really spurs.  What you see is misleading and an *early* attempt at a panadapter with point & click QSY capability. They are DSP artifacts from the IF of the Orion and/or the Softrock DSP RX that I had tapped into the IF of the Orion. I had tapped in ahead of the filters to get the widest and flattest spectrum display that I could.  After the filters, that stuff would be gone.

My new setup does not tap the IF at all. I use a SDRplay RX and an MFJ-1708SDR switch box to provide my panadapter.  The SDRplay and my transceiver share the same antenna. The panadapter software now is the HDSDR that is provided by SDRplay.  That combination gives a much cleaner display.  Right now, I have it hooked to my Argonaut 5. It gives point & click QSY, dual-RX and when the SDRplay is used by itself, it makes a very nice general coverage RX. The technology is getting better and cheaper at the same time.

I had typed a reply yesterday but must have failed to click the reply button or closed the browswer too quickly.
Carl

Bex, my wife told me of her run in with a hot iron. Somehow it got pulled off the bench and down between her legs, cutting a 3" trench on her upper inner thigh. She was repairing glasses for her dad.

Glad to hear that the signal has better purity than in those vids. Were the recordind made athe senders qth?

She should get the kit today. Was asking me what i wanted for Valentine's day?

Do they make an smd version? Does anyone have any boards for sale?

Brian Crittendon

I'm near sighted. Once when soldering I was so close to my work I started to burn my bangs. Hair does not smell like chicken, it smells like old insulation. It took 2 or 3 heart beats before I realized what was wrong. Grin  Mark/WQ8S

On Monday, February 4, 2019, 9:40:21 PM EST, Tom Sevart <tmsevart@...> wrote:

On 02/04/19 10:44, John Lonigro wrote:
> And, as N0SO reminded me, if it smells like chicken, you're holding the
> wrong end of the soldering iron!
>

Or you're holding it like this:
https://petapixel.com/assets/uploads/2016/03/stockphotowoman-500.jpg

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Gwen Patton

On Sun, Feb 3, 2019 at 02:54 AM, John Clements wrote:
Thanks for the Ebay mention Gwen!

There are more Pixie & QRP goodies on the main web site including a Pixie, Switch, & Crystals bundled together.  Most of the kits are geared toward easy building.

73 John kc9on  

Glad to give you a mention, John, you had just what I needed, and you got them to me quickly and for a really good price. I'll check out your website and see if there are some other goodies I can use!

Gwen, NG3P

Gwen Patton

I accidentally did that when I was 15. I thought I'd unplugged the iron, and picked it up by the wrong end, grabbing the heating element rather than the tip. I didn't even feel pain from it at first...it was so much input and so fast, the nerves in my fingers short-circuited.

It doesn't smell like chicken. It smells like pork.

I threw the iron down on my (metal) workbench, ran into the kitchen, and grabbed a roast in the freezer. It let me keep my fingertips. THEN the pain caught up with me and whipsawed me. My mom came running, not because I ran into the kitchen and shoved my hand in the freezer, but because I finally let rip with a scream of pain. She packed my fingers in crushed ice in a Baggie, and took me to the emergency room.

I still have the scars from the burns across the pad of my left thumb, part of the pad on my left index fingertip, and the left middle finger tip. I had only picked it up to move it, you see, not to use it, so I used my off hand. It helped, as it didn't leave me unable to write for a month, since I'm right-handed.

Gwen, NG3P

Tom Sevart

On 02/04/19 10:44, John Lonigro wrote:
And, as N0SO reminded me, if it smells like chicken, you're holding the wrong end of the soldering iron!
Or you're holding it like this: https://petapixel.com/assets/uploads/2016/03/stockphotowoman-500.jpg

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Carl Gansen

Hello Dave,

The "spurs" that you see are DSP artifacts from the way I tapped into the IF of the Orion.  I have since moved from an IF tap on to a SDRplay RX with an MFJ-1708SDR switching box and using the SDRplay version of HDSDR for my panadapter display.  It is a much cleaner option than what I was using when those videos were recorded.  Those DSP artifacts are well ouside of the IF filtering skirts and I was tapped in pre-filtering to get as wide a display as possible.  First attempts often have some ugly warts.

Carl WB0CFF

Mike Heitmann

I wear that shirt during the kit building portion of our local BSA Electronics Merit Badge sessions at STEM Summer Camp.

72 de Mike, N0SO

On ‎Monday‎, ‎February‎ ‎04‎, ‎2019‎ ‎11‎:‎08‎:‎03‎ ‎AM‎ ‎CST, davemrtn <davemrtn@...> wrote:

I have the T-Shirt and wore it to OzarkCon last year !!

David Martin - NA1MH - Mountain Home, Ar. -----------------------------------------
Wherever I go, there He is.
Recycle, Reuse, Re-purpose, Repair
>Professional Sports - An activity for small minds<
!! There is a reason it is called "Sports Trivia" !!
On 2/4/2019 10:44, John Lonigro wrote:
And, as N0SO reminded me, if it smells like chicken, you're holding the wrong end of the soldering iron!

Don't forget the February Second Sunday Sprint coming up on Sunday (10th).

John, AA0VE
4SQRP Contest Coordinator

On 2/3/19 9:18 AM, Bill Lamm wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Take your time..  deep breaths but not of the smoke..  treat the iron like a hot pan from the oven.. don't pick it up until you know where you are going with it and that you have someplace to put it when you get there.  Solder flows when it's ready.. be patient..

davemrtn <davemrtn@...>

I have the T-Shirt and wore it to OzarkCon last year !!

David Martin - NA1MH - Mountain Home, Ar. -----------------------------------------
Wherever I go, there He is.
Recycle, Reuse, Re-purpose, Repair
>Professional Sports - An activity for small minds<
!! There is a reason it is called "Sports Trivia" !!

On 2/4/2019 10:44, John Lonigro wrote:

John, AA0VE

[Edited Message Follows]

Take your time..  deep breaths but not of the smoke..  treat the iron like a hot pan from the oven.. don't pick it up until you know where you are going with it and that you have someplace to put it when you get there.  Solder flows when it's ready.. be patient..

John Lonigro

John, AA0VE

[Edited Message Follows]

Hi Dave
Thanks for your comments, she has the pixie to build I don't think she will be wanting to build the 50 dollar kit.

Her regular hf radio is a ubitx. Paid 70 for the used boards and slipped it into an old vcr case. She uses it for ssb and digital modes. Gets good signal reports on the 80 meter loop.

Carl
Really enjoyed looking at all the spurs on the band display of the previously mentioned videos. Pretty unimpressive. Not a good candidate for an amp without cleanup.
Dave