Topics

40m Net

dekle <dekle@...>

Interesting night. I called the net 4 times as an experiment and here are the results:

5 pm CST  -  3 QNIs
     KK4ITX     John     FL
     KA5JRX    Bob     GA     Not a member and running 80w
     W0MFQ    Tom     MO    Running 5w

6 pm CST   -   0 QNIs

7 pm CST   -   0 QNIs

8 pm CST   -   3 QNIs
     KO8S/4     Karl     FL
     AB4QL      Barry   AL
     KK4ITX     John     FL

I had to pull the plug in the middle of the 8 pm Net QSO with KK4ITX due to lightning in the area.
I suspect I may have gotten other QNIs on the 8 pm Net.

The QSO with W0MFQ is notable - he was the only QRP close-in station but there is not enough data to demonstrate that a time shift for the net is warranted.
Probably best to keep the net at 8 pm CST.

73
Bill
KV6Z

Paul Goemans

Bill,
  I heard only KO8S/4 QNI at 0200z. Nobody else. Forgot to try earlier!
Weather isn’t much better here. Freezing rain.
  As a test, I called CQ 2 times each on 2 different antennas with 5 watts at 0100Z. Skip was already too long from WI. Here are my reverse beacon network spots. The spots at 7059 kHz were with my Carolina Windom 80, the spots at 7060 kHz were with my Butternut vertical.

skip

Paul Goemans WA9PWP
Stoughton, WI

[...]

Tom Brown

Bill,
I wasn't able to listen at 6:00 due to xyl dinner call. I listened for you from 7:10 to 7:15 without hearing you so shut down. I didn't try at 8:00 because my past attempts over the last several months were never successful that late in the evening.

I specifically sent my power report because I copied your previous contact telling you he was not qrp so figured you might be interested to know I was qrp.

It was good to hear you and get the QNI.
73,
Tom W0MFQ

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019, 8:39 PM dekle <dekle@... wrote:
[...]

Michael Smith

Bill (KV6Z), I made an effort to be part of your experiment.  I am in central MO.  Generally, I am teaching a class most Wednesday nights (7 - 8:15 + Central time) , but am available and was listening at 5 and 6 pm at 7.122+/-.  I heard a weak CQ 4S but could not pull your call out of the static at 5 pm.  I did hear KA5JRX's side of the QSO about 10 minutes in.  Regardless, in current conditions, an earlier start doesn't appear to help my participation.

I was there again at 6 PM.  I was unable to identify anything I could tie to 4S.  Apparently, I was in fly over country or maybe there really wasn't anything to hear?

On occasion, I will try to catch the 80m net, if only to listen.  I am antenna challenged, but will put up my portable 80/60 vertical when the weather is nice.  It hasn't been nice much of late.  Sometimes the net is over  before I get home.  Still, I have an expectation that most of the time I can get on 80m when 40m is not possible (time-wise and skip).

Participation for me involves two issues.  First, simply being available.  The second is geography,  I am too close.  I see a similar situation during the day chasing SOTA activators.  I will usually get most of them if they go through enough of the bands.  Unfortunately, there are fewer potential bands in the evening.

I will participate when I can, but sometimes it just doesn't work.  I truly enjoy it when it all comes  together.

72,

Mike, AD0YM

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 8:39 PM dekle <dekle@...> wrote:
[...]

John - KK4ITX

Hey Bill !

I was wondering why you went QRT so quickly....... thought it was something I said or was trying to say !  I am running 5w with my FT-450D, 35.5 ft endfed Inv. V at only 18ft at the apex AGL.  You are 969 miles at 309 deg. from me.  My ant. is not pure inverted V but a lazy one.

FWIW your signal was better at 8 CST than at 5 CST.  I copied KA5JRX well as you might expect 80w at 433 miles.

I guess that you need to know how many tried vs how many were successful to figure much out from the results.  As you know, I was busy during the 6 & 7 Nets, almost stayed home from cards but glad I didn't 'cause I won 50 cents !

Thanks for letting me try to learn CW on your nickel.

73,

John
KK4ITX

Click Here for Zephyrhills Area Amateur Radio Club
Many of life's failures are people who
did not realize how close they were to
success when they gave up.
       Thomas A. Edison

[...]

Bob Macklin <macklinbob@...>

Do you people use the RBN to see where your signal is going?

Bob Macklin
K5MYJ
Seattle, Wa.
"Real Radios Glow In The Dark"