Topics

ADV: Re: [4SQRP] Hilltopper 40m

jrdock@ckt.net

David, notice that you tied the tops of X1,X2, X3 & X4 together.  Did that make a difference?

Jack ... WD0CFH

Pro

Jack R. Dock ... How about we give GOD a reason to continue blessing America?  In defense of America I pledge my life, my fortune and my sacred honor.
War does not determine who is right, only who is left.

On Feb 6, 2019, at 8:15 PM, Johnny Matlock <jomatlock@...> wrote:

Nice work David!
Thanks for sharing.

On Wed, Feb 6, 2019 at 8:08 PM N8DAH <Dherron@...> wrote:

Just finished Bobby's Hilltopper40 and wanted to share some pics. Had fun building this and may just have to get one for myself!

<HT40TOP.jpg><HT40BTM.jpg>
--
David

  N8DAH

Kit-Projects.com

Shop now open!

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

I am not 100% if it did make a difference as I didn't make any measurements on it before/after. I have made more than a few filter stages where grounding them like that is pretty standard and good build procedure, granted in older oscillator variations where having them grounded is a good idea. Since this is based on the 5351 chip it may not play the same role.

I did it on this build as I took note of a well placed gnd via and said to myself "Can't hurt" so I did it. Since this was a build for another fellow I made sure to build this as if it were for myself.
--
David

  N8DAH

Kit-Projects.com

Shop now open!

Dave Benson

David-

My experience has been that grounding the case of the last crystal (Y4) is sufficient.  Without the ground, the crystal case picks up Short-wave broadcast energy. That signal is then capacitively-coupled to the crystal plates, and presto- you've got music/religion with your CW!

I haven't found it necessary to ground Y4's case.

73- Dave, K1SWL