From: qrp-l-bounces@... [mailto:qrp-l-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Michael Babineau via QRP-L
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 2:40 PM
To: qrp-l@...
Subject: [QRP-L] WA8REI SK

I received an email this afternoon from Ken’s brother Paul. Ken was well known in the QRP community and has been a very dear friend of mine for sixteen years. He will be missed.

Michael VE3WMB

Here is his obituary :

Kenneth Alan Louks

Kenneth A. Louks of Freeland, Michigan passed away February 10, 2019 at the age of 71.

Ken was a life-long resident of the Saginaw area. After graduating from Buena Vista High School in 1965, he entered Western Michigan University and obtained a bachelor’s degree in sociology. Ken served in the US Army from 1970-72 and was stationed in Stuttgart, West Germany where he was assistant to the Chaplain. Upon his honorable discharge, he was employed by the US Postal Service from 1972 to 2002, reaching the level of Mail Processing Manager at the Saginaw USPS facility.

Ken had a strong Christian faith and was past member of Sheridan Avenue United Methodist Church, Auburn UMC, and presently was a member of Hopevale Church. He enjoyed the Christian fellowship of all members at these houses of worship.

Ken was a gifted keyboardist from his youth and throughout his life. Ken was organist at Auburn UMC and part-time organist at Sheridan Avenue and Swan Valley UMC over the years. Ken also taught piano from his home. Even after a stroke at age 60 rendered his left hand paralyzed, Ken still played his electronic keyboard, recording and sharing his music, which were often arrangements of favorite hymns. Ken also played the dulcimer.

Ken loved his Lord and his country and was proud of his service in the Army. He enjoyed traveling our scenic country, either in his RV or Tahoe, often stopping at the homes of relatives or his ham radio buddies. He loved nature, and loved visiting relatives whether they were in Saginaw, Mayville or Florida.

Ken’s favorite hobby was amateur radio. Licensed in 1965 as WA8REI, he was very active on the air until his death. Ken loved to operate his radio, using Morse code, from wilderness areas as well as from his home. He made loyal friends on the air all over the world.

Ken was predeceased by his parents, Ferris and Donna Louks. He is survived by his brothers David (Kathryn) Louks, Paul (Vicky) Louks, a dear aunt G. Elaine Fox, and many treasured nieces, nephews and cousins.

Honoring Ken’s wishes, there will be no formal funeral service. His wish was for his friends and relatives to remember him in their hearts and give all thanks and praise to God for our time of grace. Also per Ken’s wishes, he will be cremated, and his remains interred at Great Lakes National Cemetery in Holly, Michigan at a later date. Those planning an expression of sympathy may wish to consider Hopevale Church of Saginaw

Sent from ProtonMail Mobile

This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net

m p

Hello Ron.....and to everyone,

I'm very saddened to hear of Ken's passing.  I remember checking into the Michigan Qrp Net most weeks and hearing Ken and his call checking in for the net.  I never got to meet Ken in person however we did have several Qso's over the years.  How important it is for all of us to live and enjoy each and every day that we are given.  Thanks Ron for posting this for all of us.  My Condolences to his Family and Friends.

72's

Mark
KA8ONW

On Tuesday, February 12, 2019, 6:19:51 PM EST, AG1P Ron <ag1p@...> wrote:

Please see the QRP-L post below.  It is with great sadness that I pass on these tidings. Ken was member number 947 and will be missed.

72 - Ron - AG1P
4SQRP Corporate Secretary

[...]

Charles W. Powell

Very sorry to hear about Ken.  I have him in my log about half a dozen times, and most recent was mid November.  Always sad when a good ham passes on.

72,

Chas - NK8O

On Feb 12, 2019, at 6:46 PM, m p via Groups.Io <ka8onw@...> wrote:

[...]

Paul Smith

Ken will be missed by many hams. We met several years ago at Ozarkcon. He was quite a guy. de Paul N0NBD

Sent from Outlook

[...]

I would like to xtend our deepest sympath, thoughts and prayers to Ken’s family, from the 4 state Qrp Group.
We will all mis his humor.

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Curt

Very sad news!  I have 25 QSOs in my log with Ken over the years, all QRP and QRPp.  He had big ears and would often answer my peanut whistle CQ.  Even had a QSO with him while I was portable with 1/2 watt on a remote lake in VE3 land.  I will miss him a lot.

Sympathy and prayers to his family.

72 Curt KB5JO