Topics

Inexpensive DMR

Walter - K5EST

((I am not advocating this company or a purchase))

Looking at R&L Electronics yesterday and today they are advertising a DMR Baofeng DM-1801 for $54.95! REALLY!

Google search of the DM-1801 shows even WalMart is selling them among a large number of vendors.

Not raining on anyone's parade, but is DMR going to be the next CB radio?

73,
Walter Dufrain - K5EST - Coordinator OzarkCon 2019
 An ARRL approved Specialty Operating Convention
image.png

John Lonigro

10-4 good buddy (hi).

On 2/19/19 7:01 AM, Walter - K5EST wrote:
((I am not advocating this company or a purchase))

Looking at R&L Electronics yesterday and today they are advertising a DMR Baofeng DM-1801 for $54.95! REALLY!

Google search of the DM-1801 shows even WalMart is selling them among a large number of vendors.

Not raining on anyone's parade, but is DMR going to be the next CB radio?

73,
Walter Dufrain - K5EST - Coordinator OzarkCon 2019
 An ARRL approved Specialty Operating Convention
image.png

KB9BVN -

Walt,

As complex and intricate as DMR is to set up on one of these HT's...I would guess that's highly unlikely.
As for me...I'm sticking to good old hand sent CW on HF.

At least this Baofeng model is dual time slot...the other "DMR" rig they had was only single time slot...making it almost useless.

de KB9BVN

--
73 de KB9BVN
Brian Murrey

Jim Parks

I agree completely with KB9BVN. Even a lot of experience hams are having issues understanding the DMR concept let alone the complexities of programming a radio. Most people off the street who manage to buy one of these from Amazon or WalMart won’t have a clue how to set it up. The only thing that has happened is the Chinese have been able to produce some great radios for very cheap prices and beat the traditional ham equipment mfgs. to the market. I think it is a great step forward in that it allows someone, especially new hams who may not be flush with money, to get on the air in a meaningful way without having to spend a bundle for a radio from Kenwood, Yaesu or Icom. Granted some of the Chinese stuff is junk but several of the DMR handhelds such as the Anytone 868 and 878 are just as good  quality-wise an anything from the traditional mfgs.

De NY0J

[...]

dekle <dekle@...>

It already is.

Bill

KV6Z

On 19/02/2019 7:01 am, Walter - K5EST wrote:

((I am not advocating this company or a purchase))

Looking at R&L Electronics yesterday and today they are advertising a DMR Baofeng DM-1801 for $54.95! REALLY!

Google search of the DM-1801 shows even WalMart is selling them among a large number of vendors.

Not raining on anyone's parade, but is DMR going to be the next CB radio?

73,
Walter Dufrain - K5EST - Coordinator OzarkCon 2019
 An ARRL approved Specialty Operating Convention
image.png

davemrtn

Jim,

I agree with you on the initial difficulty in understanding how to program DMR radios.

I was frustrated to no end when I started playing with a MD-380 and again later with the D868UV, but I kept plugging along, reading and trying things, finding what worked and what didn't.

Once I finally got my 'sea legs' so to speak, I am really enjoying what DMR and DMR networks have to offer for communication flexibility realizing of course the networking may not be something that can be relied on in a true disaster.

I have become quite comfortable programming codeplugs for the two radios I have.

Wherever I go, there He is.
Recycle, Reuse, Re-purpose, Repair
>Professional Sports - An activity for small minds<
!! There is a reason it is called "Sports Trivia" !!

On 2/19/2019 09:16, Jim Parks wrote:

[...]

Tim McDonough N9PUZ

I do not know anything about this radio but if you are considering it do your research. At one time the Baofeng DMR radios did NOT do the DMR Tier 2 that is required to use a lot of the talk groups.

I will admit to not having kept up with a lot of this, just want to warn people to be careful.

Tim N9PUZ

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 7:01 AM Walter - K5EST <walter.k5est@...> wrote:
((I am not advocating this company or a purchase))

Looking at R&L Electronics yesterday and today they are advertising a DMR Baofeng DM-1801 for $54.95! REALLY!

Google search of the DM-1801 shows even WalMart is selling them among a large number of vendors.

Not raining on anyone's parade, but is DMR going to be the next CB radio?

73,
Walter Dufrain - K5EST - Coordinator OzarkCon 2019
 An ARRL approved Specialty Operating Convention
image.png

Jim Parks

David,

Glad you for those “sea legs” I know the feeling. I started with a Radioddity GD77, then upgraded to the Anytone 868 and had to learn all over again, but I did it. For what it is worth, I have a great code plug for the Anytone that covers most of the DMR and analog repeaters for the western half of Missouri and I’m willing to share it with anyone who would like it.

73

Jim Parks  NY0J

I agree with you on the initial difficulty in understanding how to program DMR radios.

I was frustrated to no end when I started playing with a MD-380 and again later with the D868UV, but I kept plugging along, reading and trying things, finding what worked and what didn't.

Once I finally got my 'sea legs' so to speak, I am really enjoying what DMR and DMR networks have to offer for communication flexibility realizing of course the networking may not be something that can be relied on in a true disaster.

I have become quite comfortable programming codeplugs for the two radios I have.

Wherever I go, there He is.
Recycle, Reuse, Re-purpose, Repair
>Professional Sports - An activity for small minds<
!! There is a reason it is called "Sports Trivia" !!

On 2/19/2019 09:16, Jim Parks wrote:

I agree completely with KB9BVN. Even a lot of experience hams are having issues understanding the DMR concept let alone the complexities of programming a radio. Most people off the street who manage to buy one of these from Amazon or WalMart won’t have a clue how to set it up. The only thing that has happened is the Chinese have been able to produce some great radios for very cheap prices and beat the traditional ham equipment mfgs. to the market. I think it is a great step forward in that it allows someone, especially new hams who may not be flush with money, to get on the air in a meaningful way without having to spend a bundle for a radio from Kenwood, Yaesu or Icom. Granted some of the Chinese stuff is junk but several of the DMR handhelds such as the Anytone 868 and 878 are just as good  quality-wise an anything from the traditional mfgs.

De NY0J

As complex and intricate as DMR is to set up on one of these HT's...I would guess that's highly unlikely.

As for me...I'm sticking to good old hand sent CW on HF.

At least this Baofeng model is dual time slot...the other "DMR" rig they had was only single time slot...making it almost useless.

de KB9BVN

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 8:01 AM Walter - K5EST <walter.k5est@...> wrote:

((I am not advocating this company or a purchase))

Looking at R&L Electronics yesterday and today they are advertising a DMR Baofeng DM-1801 for $54.95! REALLY!

Google search of the DM-1801 shows even WalMart is selling them among a large number of vendors.

Not raining on anyone's parade, but is DMR going to be the next CB radio?

73,

Walter Dufrain - K5EST - Coordinator OzarkCon 2019

 An ARRL approved Specialty Operating Convention

--

73 de KB9BVN
Brian Murrey

Jim Parks

The Baofeng DM 1801 is a DMR Tier II radio for anyone that is interested. It appears to be compatible with what hams ar eusing.

73

Jim Parks  NY0J

I do not know anything about this radio but if you are considering it do your research. At one time the Baofeng DMR radios did NOT do the DMR Tier 2 that is required to use a lot of the talk groups.

I will admit to not having kept up with a lot of this, just want to warn people to be careful.

Tim N9PUZ

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 7:01 AM Walter - K5EST <walter.k5est@...> wrote:

((I am not advocating this company or a purchase))

Looking at R&L Electronics yesterday and today they are advertising a DMR Baofeng DM-1801 for $54.95! REALLY!

Google search of the DM-1801 shows even WalMart is selling them among a large number of vendors.

Not raining on anyone's parade, but is DMR going to be the next CB radio?

73,

Walter Dufrain - K5EST - Coordinator OzarkCon 2019

 An ARRL approved Specialty Operating Convention

Jeff Logullo N0̸MII

Jim, why not post it to the Files area of the Groups.io page for our group? I just made a "Code Plugs" folder:

I've learned to 'harvest' code plugs so I can pick them apart, sift the pieces, and reassemble to suit my needs. Please consider sharing yours :-)

Thanks,
Jeff N0̸MII

On Feb 19, 2019, at 2:25 PM, Jim Parks <jim.ny0j@...> wrote:

I have a great code plug for the Anytone that covers most of the DMR and analog repeaters for the western half of Missouri and I’m willing to share it with anyone who would like it.

--
Jeff N0̷MII

davemrtn

Good idea Jeff...

On 2/19/2019 14:33, Jeff Logullo N0̸MII wrote:
Jim, why not post it to the Files area of the Groups.io page for our group? I just made a "Code Plugs" folder:

I've learned to 'harvest' code plugs so I can pick them apart, sift the pieces, and reassemble to suit my needs. Please consider sharing yours :-)

Thanks,
Jeff N0̸MII

On Feb 19, 2019, at 2:25 PM, Jim Parks <jim.ny0j@...> wrote:

I have a great code plug for the Anytone that covers most of the DMR and analog repeaters for the western half of Missouri and I’m willing to share it with anyone who would like it.

--
Jeff N0̷MII

Chuck Skolaut

Jim,

Can you send me the DMR info needed to program in the info for DMR operation in the Branson area for Ozarkcon? Someone sent the info several weeks ago but I can't locate it again. Having someone help me set up my Anytone 868 and would like to be able to use it while in the area.

73 and Thanks,

Chuck KØBOG

On Tuesday, February 19, 2019, 8:25:58 PM UTC, Jim Parks <jim.ny0j@...> wrote:

> [...]

As complex and intricate as DMR is to set up on one of these HT's...I would guess that's highly unlikely.

As for me...I'm sticking to good old hand sent CW on HF.

At least this Baofeng model is dual time slot...the other "DMR" rig they had was only single time slot...making it almost useless.

de KB9BVN

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 8:01 AM Walter - K5EST <walter.k5est@...> wrote:

((I am not advocating this company or a purchase))

Looking at R&L Electronics yesterday and today they are advertising a DMR Baofeng DM-1801 for $54.95! REALLY!

Google search of the DM-1801 shows even WalMart is selling them among a large number of vendors.

Not raining on anyone's parade, but is DMR going to be the next CB radio?

73,

Walter Dufrain - K5EST - Coordinator OzarkCon 2019

 An ARRL approved Specialty Operating Convention

N5VMO Pat

Jim Parks  NY0J
I know you have moved on from the GD-77; but do you have a code plug for the latest version of that radio for KN / MO areas in a file =)   There are six of us around here new to DMR that have bought these radios =)   Can you help out =)

David,

Glad you for those “sea legs” I know the feeling. I started with a Radioddity GD77, then upgraded to the Anytone 868 and had to learn all over again, but I did it. For what it is worth, I have a great code plug for the Anytone that covers most of the DMR and analog repeaters for the western half of Missouri and I’m willing to share it with anyone who would like it.

73

Jim Parks  NY0J

--
73's Pat  N5VMO

Jim Parks

Hi Chuck, the info for the two DMR repeaters in Branson is as follows:

UHF:  444.45 + Color Code 5  the 4SQRP talkgroup 31654 will be static on Time slot 1. This machine is located about 8 blocks from the hotel and has great hand-held coverage

VHF 147.150 + Color Code 5 the 4SQRP talkgroup 31654 will be static on Time slot 1. This machine is located NE of Branson and the coverage is somewhat less.

I posted a complete code plug for the Anytone 868 on the 4SQRP files section of the group. It is way too big to email.

Jim Parks  NY0J

I agree with you on the initial difficulty in understanding how to program DMR radios.

I was frustrated to no end when I started playing with a MD-380 and again later with the D868UV, but I kept plugging along, reading and trying things, finding what worked and what didn't.

Once I finally got my 'sea legs' so to speak, I am really enjoying what DMR and DMR networks have to offer for communication flexibility realizing of course the networking may not be something that can be relied on in a true disaster.

I have become quite comfortable programming codeplugs for the two radios I have.

Wherever I go, there He is.
Recycle, Reuse, Re-purpose, Repair
>Professional Sports - An activity for small minds<
!! There is a reason it is called "Sports Trivia" !!

On 2/19/2019 09:16, Jim Parks wrote:

I agree completely with KB9BVN. Even a lot of experience hams are having issues understanding the DMR concept let alone the complexities of programming a radio. Most people off the street who manage to buy one of these from Amazon or WalMart won’t have a clue how to set it up. The only thing that has happened is the Chinese have been able to produce some great radios for very cheap prices and beat the traditional ham equipment mfgs. to the market. I think it is a great step forward in that it allows someone, especially new hams who may not be flush with money, to get on the air in a meaningful way without having to spend a bundle for a radio from Kenwood, Yaesu or Icom. Granted some of the Chinese stuff is junk but several of the DMR handhelds such as the Anytone 868 and 878 are just as good  quality-wise an anything from the traditional mfgs.

De NY0J

As complex and intricate as DMR is to set up on one of these HT's...I would guess that's highly unlikely.

As for me...I'm sticking to good old hand sent CW on HF.

At least this Baofeng model is dual time slot...the other "DMR" rig they had was only single time slot...making it almost useless.

de KB9BVN

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 8:01 AM Walter - K5EST <walter.k5est@...> wrote:

((I am not advocating this company or a purchase))

Looking at R&L Electronics yesterday and today they are advertising a DMR Baofeng DM-1801 for $54.95! REALLY!

Google search of the DM-1801 shows even WalMart is selling them among a large number of vendors.

Not raining on anyone's parade, but is DMR going to be the next CB radio?

73,

Walter Dufrain - K5EST - Coordinator OzarkCon 2019

 An ARRL approved Specialty Operating Convention

--

73 de KB9BVN
Brian Murrey

Jim Parks

David

Here is my current GD-77 code plug. You will have to put in your name and DMR number. Also notice that it does have a bunch of local LEO and fire/EMS freqs. In it. Just disregard those. Let me know if you have any questions about it. Also it is for a GD-77 with the latest firmware.

[...]

Thank you David and Jim for the copy of the lastest GD-77 code plug for DMR in the area =)  I will distribute the copies around =)   MUCH THANKS TO ALL =)

--
73's Pat  N5VMO