Topics

2 questions

Terry S. Clevenger

Just getting active on-air and have questions:
1) I've heard that 'T' can be used in place of the number 0; is this true? Thats part of my calls and want to be sure.

2) I hear the code for the '=' sign (-...-) fairly often and wonder if it's also used for something else? It seems odd I'd hear it so much.

Thanks. Good to be getting involved.

Terry Clevenger
KE0VFI

Donald Sanders

Terry, the "cut numbers" are used in conversation during QSO. I do not think the FCC wants them used with your call letters.
The equal sign is used by many as a "wait, I'm thinking" prosign.
Dr. Don W4BWS

God Bless All

"Basic Wire Antennas" my new book available
for $5 sent to my email address via paypal friends.
More info at W4BWS on QRZ.com.

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 11:50 AM Terry S. Clevenger via groups.io <tclevengers=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Just getting active on-air and have questions:
1) I've heard that 'T' can be used in place of the number 0; is this true? Thats part of my calls and want to be sure.

2) I hear the code for the '=' sign (-...-) fairly often and wonder if it's also used for something else? It seems odd I'd hear it so much.

Thanks. Good to be getting involved.

Terry Clevenger
KE0VFI

Kent Trimble, K9ZTV

Terry . . .

1)  The cut number for zero is a T.  It should never be used in a call sign.  It has relevance in CW contests and occasionally in QSOs but, in my opinion, all cut numbers should be used sparingly.

2)  You have hit upon a universal error.  What you hear on the air for a hyphen (dash) is dah-di-di-di-dah.  That is incorrect because, as you rightly state, it is actually an equals sign.  The correct prosign for a hyphen (dash) is dah-di-di-di-di-dah which no one knows or uses except a few old timers who teach Morse Code classes.

73,

Kent  K9ZTV

On 10/24/2020 10:50 AM, Terry S. Clevenger via groups.io wrote:
Just getting active on-air and have questions:
1) I've heard that 'T' can be used in place of the number 0; is this true? Thats part of my calls and want to be sure.

2) I hear the code for the '=' sign (-...-) fairly often and wonder if it's also used for something else? It seems odd I'd hear it so much.

Thanks. Good to be getting involved.

Terry Clevenger
KE0VFI

KD4MSR, Scott

Dahdidididah is the prosign BT (which when handwritten is. BT with a line over the B and the T. Its meaning is “double dash.” Source: ARRL.  KD4MSR, Scott

On Oct 24, 2020, at 12:12 PM, Kent Trimble, K9ZTV <k9ztv@...> wrote:

[...]

n4mj

"T" is often used for 0s in serial numbers during certain events or operations.  It saves time during an exchange.  Do not recommend using it to replace the 0 ( zero) in your call.
Congratulations on getting the ticket and for seeking an answer to ur question.
73 de n4mj//glenn

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 10:50, Terry S. Clevenger via groups.io
<tclevengers@...> wrote:
Just getting active on-air and have questions:
1) I've heard that 'T' can be used in place of the number 0; is this true? Thats part of my calls and want to be sure.

2) I hear the code for the '=' sign (-...-) fairly often and wonder if it's also used for something else? It seems odd I'd hear it so much.

Thanks. Good to be getting involved.

Terry Clevenger
KE0VFI

n4mj

For second question. That prosign is often used to kill time during a QSO. Provides time to think of next thought to send.

* On 2020 24 Oct 10:53 -0500, Terry S. Clevenger via groups.io wrote:
Just getting active on-air and have questions:1) I've heard that 'T'
can be used in place of the number 0; is this true? Thats part of my
calls and want to be sure.
As others have noted, cut numbers should only be used where others might
expect them but never in a callsign as my call is N0NB not NTNB.

In certain contests with serial numbers and some other exchanged
information where that part of the exchange is numeric, cut numbers are
often employed. This would include the replacement of 9 in 599 with N
as in 5NN. That is quite common.

T as a replacement for 0 is more rare. There may be an event where a
serial number must be a minimum of three digits or it is customary to
send three digits as a minimum. In the case where the serial number
must start with 1, sending TT1 is much shorter than 001, for example.
But note that use of T here is rather unambiguous. Some ops might send
100 as 1TT, for example.

2) I hear the code for the '=' sign (-...-) fairly often and wonder if
it's also used for something else? It seems odd I'd hear it so much.
It is often written as the combination of BT with an overstruck line as
aforementioned. It is also the = sign as punctuation. See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morse_code#Letters,_numbers,_punctuation,_prosigns_for_Morse_code_and_non-English_variants

It's usage is to separate thoughts instead of using proper punctuation.
It is arguable if it really is that much shorter than a period by one
dah or a comma which has one less dit and one more dah. I suppose that
if handling many messages that time added up. Of course in messages
all three are replaced by X!

72, Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

Dale Holloway, K4EQ

-...- is not an equal sign. It is a double dash. A single dash (hyphen) is -....- (4 dots) but is rarely if ever used.

Dale Holloway, K4EQ
www.k4eq.net

Vladimir Ivkovic

Hi Terry,

1. code for T is usually used by some hams, to replace number 0, in:
    -  normal QSOs, when stating TX wattage,
    -  in contest qsos, in numbering ongoing qso

   DO NOT USE IT to replace 0, in your callsign. It is considered all sending illegal callsign, and as such, it represents violation of Your ham license.

2. What u hear, is not sign for =. Its code for BT , 'Back to You'. Its used when u have short qso. It can be used once or twice, in short period up to 2-5 minutes. If QSO is longer, You have to use proper,  full callsign correspondence, at the beggining, and at the end of Your sending period.

73 Vlado 9a5mpv

On Sat, Oct 24, 2020 at 5:50 PM Terry S. Clevenger via groups.io <tclevengers=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Just getting active on-air and have questions:
1) I've heard that 'T' can be used in place of the number 0; is this true? Thats part of my calls and want to be sure.

2) I hear the code for the '=' sign (-...-) fairly often and wonder if it's also used for something else? It seems odd I'd hear it so much.

Thanks. Good to be getting involved.

Terry Clevenger
KE0VFI

Charles W. Powell

Terry,

With your call, you are obligated to send the zero correctly.  If you are in a contest sending serial numbers, you can send "T" as zero, but not in your call sign.  Interesting that you *must* send your call in international Morse code, but for example, if you know landline code, you can carry on the rest of your conversation quite legally in landline Morse, provided the other station can copy and send it.  The call sign is a different matter.

The "=" is used typically in conversation instead of a period at the end of a thought.  I rarely send a "period" when I am on the air unless I am sending a URL.  Even the message handlers use letter "x" instead of a period.  You will also hear "=" when someone is thinking.  You might hear two or three consecutively while someone gathers their thoughts.  As an alternative you might hear the single dash ( _...._ ).

72,

Chas - NK8O

* On 2020 24 Oct 14:33 -0500, Dale Holloway, K4EQ wrote:
-...- is not an equal sign. It is a double dash.
You are correct, Dale. I goofed in agreeing is was the equal sign and
Wikipedia is incorrect also on this point.

* On 2020 24 Oct 20:03 -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:
* On 2020 24 Oct 14:33 -0500, Dale Holloway, K4EQ wrote:
-...- is not an equal sign. It is a double dash.
You are correct, Dale. I goofed in agreeing is was the equal sign and
Wikipedia is incorrect also on this point.
Nope, I am mistaken, it is the equal sign what no less of an authority than the ITU
calls a "double hyphen":

https://www.itu.int/dms_pubrec/itu-r/rec/m/R-REC-M.1677-1-200910-I!!PDF-E.pdf

Dale, the character I think you're referring to is the "em-dash" (--)
that is also used in print to separate thoughts. It does not appear as
a separate character in the ITU list. I suppose if it was needed it
would be sent as two successive hyphens.

72, Nate

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

Cliff Fox (KU4GW)

Edited

As far as the prosign  _..._  it's the CW prosign for BT  according to this list of CW Prosigns at http://www.kent-engineers.com/prosigns.htm it defines the prosign BT to mean----- Pause; Break For Text. That's how I've always interpreted it the past 24 years in the hobby and I hear quite a lot of operators sending it several times during a QSO. I've used it that way as well.

Very 72/73 de Cliff KU4GW
Proud Member of the ARRL A-1 Operator Club (*Elected to Full Membership April 11, 2012)  4SQRP # 536

"It's not the class of license that the Amateur holds that matters, it's the class of the Amateur who holds the license!"

Casey

Some Ops need to pause often to collect their thoughts --- looking back, a "triple" was pretty common to hear in a Novice transmission --- I wonder what the record is in one string? Perhaps 10 or 12.

72/73 Cliff de CaseyK KC9IH/WD9GKA

CQC #973
SKCC #9396

4SQRP #466
10-X #38221
NAQCC #6165
MIQRP #M-1163

Carl Gansen

When you hear multiple _..._ in a string, it can also mean "hang on please, my station manager is asking me a question". 😁

Good discussion.  I have enjoyed it.
72
Carl WB0CFF

WB5CTS/M "Hutch"

Yes, Carl !

The Station Manager over-rides the Program Manager. :-)

72
Steve WB5CTS/M

On Monday, October 26, 2020, 10:52:52 PM CDT, Carl Gansen <wb0cff@...> wrote:

When you hear multiple _..._ in a string, it can also mean "hang on please, my station manager is asking me a question". 😁

Good discussion.  I have enjoyed it.
72
Carl WB0CFF

Ed - ad7gr

Sorry, but AS is wait...  BT is Break.

Here's one Prosign reference among many -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosigns_for_Morse_code but only a few are sued much for casual CW QSO.

73 - 72,
Ed - ad7gr

Ed - ad7gr

Here's one Prosign reference among many -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosigns_for_Morse_code but only a few are sued much for casual CW QSO.
My typo... used, not sued.

73,
Ed - ad7gr

J.K. Wright

Been on CW since 1963. The commonly used meaning for BT is a pause.  May not be technically correct, but that is how it is used.

Jerry, NK2C

On Wed, Oct 28, 2020, 9:59 AM Ed - ad7gr via groups.io <edko=thegeo.net@groups.io> wrote:
Here's one Prosign reference among many -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prosigns_for_Morse_code but only a few are sued much for casual CW QSO.
My typo... used, not sued.

73,
Ed - ad7gr

Ed - ad7gr

Right Jerry... break is pause... same thing... a filler while thinking for the next thing to say.

73,
Ed - ad7gr