Topics

Hilltopper 20 Weirdness

KB9BVN - <kb9bvn@...>

I have a Hilltopper 20, and it's being odd.

It powers up and gives me the 60r0 just fine.  I transmit and it it's transmitting on 14062.

So I followed the alignment procedure in the docs, moved the jumper to CAL and tried adjusting per the instructions...but it seems like the EPROM isn't storing the new offset.

I just got the radio on Friday, and it was built by a very experienced builder, and he was making QSOs with it before he sent it to me.  So maybe something happened in shipping...I don't know or care. I am happy with the radio and I am keeping it...just want to get it figured out.

20m was dead to me all weekend, so tonight I hope to have time to set up my sig gen and see if it is hearing where it transmits.  I almost wonder if maybe the RIT is stuck on...but not even sure about that.   I have a K1 and K2 to use for verifying things as well.

Any ideas where to start?

--
73 de KB9BVN
Brian Murrey

Dave Benson

Brian-

If I read that right, are you adding the CAL jumper *after* power is applied? That doesn't work- the firmware looks for the jumper only at power-up.

It should work properly if you install the CAL jumper and *then* power up.

73- Dave, K1SWL

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 8:29 AM KB9BVN - <kb9bvn@...> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Dave, I was installing the jumper....and then powering up.

Will try it again tonight, and will make a note of each step.

de KB9BVN

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 8:52 AM Dave Benson <davek1swl@...> wrote:
[...]

OK- that's good.

When you power up with the jumper already installed, you'll get 5 seconds of full power out. You can see the frequency displayed on a counter or hear the pitch on another rig.  Once the 5 seconds has elapsed and the signal disappears, you'll need to cycle power to restart the CAL for further adjustment.  Note that when you restart the CAL procedure, the startup frequency should have changed from the original. That's a sign that the adjustment is being stored.

Perhaps a good way to confirm that is to note the startup frequency each time you run the CAL procedure.  It should get closer to 14060.00 each time you run it.

// It usually takes me three 5-second cycles. At the time I wrote the code, I was concerned about PA heating if I'd set the timeout at 15 seconds.  As a result, the CAL procedure is clunkier than it really needs to be.

73- Dave

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 8:56 AM KB9BVN - <kb9bvn@...> wrote:
[...]

Dave,

GREAT!  Thanks for this.  I was powering up with CAL jumper in place...but not powering down between attempts.  When I restart the CAL procedure, will I HEAR 60r0 still but see the freq has moved on my monitor rig?  I am using my K2 to listen for the tone.

So how's this sound?

1. Power off the HT20
2. Move CAL jumper to CAL
3. Power up HT 20 - hear 60r0
4. Determine where the tone is being heard on the K2 - make a note.
5. Power off HT20
6. Power up HT 20 - hear 60r0 turn tuning knob down since I am hearing tone at 14062.00
7. When tone quits, power off HT20
8. Power up HT 20 - Hear 60r0, but note the freq has moved down on the K2 if all is working correctly?
9. Rinse and repeat until 60r0 is heard and seen on the K2

Do I have that right?

Brian KB9BVN

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 10:05 AM Dave Benson <davek1swl@...> wrote:
[...]

Many thanks for the input.  When my HT20 is tuned to 14060, I hear it on 14060 on every other radio I own.  When I key up the K2 on 14060....I get 14059.9 on the HT20...When I key up the K1 on 14060...I get 14059.9 on the HT20.

YAY...close enough for my old ears.  Filter is 400 Hz correct?

Ya know....a man with two watches, never knows what time it is. On my old SW 40+ I was never sure of the exact frequency but always knew I was in the right band.  Work 'em if ya hear 'em!

I have to hand it to Joe Trombino too, he's a fine builder, with mad soldering skills.  Thanks for the radio Joe...now if 20m would come back to life I'll have a QSO.

de KB9BVN

Listening on 14060....for anything...

<mailto:@KB9BVN>> wrote:

[...]

It's sounds like it's close enough.  The only other thing I can think of is that the trim cap needs to be adjusted further.

The audio active filter peaks at 750 Hz- or maybe it's at 800 Hz.  I've used that filter for at least 20 years and no longer remember which of those frequencies it was designed for.

73- Dave

On Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 6:00 PM KB9BVN - <kb9bvn@...> wrote:
> [...]

>             I have a Hilltopper 20, and it's being odd.
>
>             It powers up and gives me the 60r0 just fine. I transmit
>             and it it's transmitting on 14062.
>
>             So I followed the alignment procedure in the docs, moved
>             the jumper to CAL and tried adjusting per the
>             instructions...but it seems like the EPROM isn't storing
>             the new offset.
>
>             I just got the radio on Friday, and it was built by a very
>             experienced builder, and he was making QSOs with it before
>             he sent it to me.  So maybe something happened in
>             shipping...I don't know or care. I am happy with the radio
>             and I am keeping it...just want to get it figured out.
>
>             20m was dead to me all weekend, so tonight I hope to have
>             time to set up my sig gen and see if it is hearing where
>             it transmits.  I almost wonder if maybe the RIT is stuck
>             on...but not even sure about that.   I have a K1 and K2 to

KB9BVN - <kb9bvn@...>

Dave I think I read in the docs or somewhere online the audio filter is designed for 800 Hz.

Any tips to heat up the receive a little bit?

de KB9BVN

<davek1swl@... <mailto:davek1swl@...>

<@KB9BVN <mailto:@KB9BVN>