Topics

$2.00 Bills

Stephen Myers

I am down here in Panama and when someone request a QSL card, they usually put money in it to cover the cost of postage. On two different occasions, I have rec $2.00 bills. I have them taped to my computer here in the "shack". I often wonder what the clerk would do if I tried to "pass" them! As I am not fluent in Spanish, I would have a hard time trying to explain my way out of the situation.

73's
Steve
de HP9SAM

Jim Pruitt

I was in our local Fred Meyer (Kroger) store last week.  The older lady clerk commented to me that she had kept an old style $20 bill in her register for some time and decided to get rid of it.  She said she handed it to a younger (20 maybe) kid.  She said the customer came unglued and accused her or intentionally handing out counterfeit money!  She called her manager over who also tried to explain to the kid that it was in fact real money, just older but he refused to accept it and said he was going to report them to the police!

I am not a coin collector but suspect the old style $20 is worth more than $20 (maybe not much but still worth more to a collector).  I suspect the same thing would happen if someone these days received a 1943 penny (you know,  the ones that were not made out of copper but were made out of tin or something).  I will bet it will get thrown away like a Canadian penny would here since banks won't take them (at least most banks here won't accept Canadian coins or money).

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY

On 3/8/2019 9:52 AM, Stephen Myers via Groups.Io wrote:
I am down here in Panama and when someone request a QSL card, they usually put money in it to cover the cost of postage. On two different occasions, I have rec $2.00 bills. I have them taped to my computer here in the "shack". I often wonder what the clerk would do if I tried to "pass" them! As I am not fluent in Spanish, I would have a hard time trying to explain my way out of the situation.

73's
Steve
de HP9SAM

KB4OPR

Those pennies were steel.

[...]

Thomas Martin

This is a little different but my wife had a video showing two young people trying to use a rotary dial phone. We older people would really enjoy the things they went through trying to use the phone they comments from them were great.
It’s sad with all the research available that some people just don’t get 2.00 bills zinc pennies rotary phones stuff I took for granted growing up

On Mar 8, 2019, at 1:15 PM, Jim Pruitt <jpruitt67@...> wrote:

[...]

Brian Crittendon

The pennies were mad of steel. As kids we would pick them up with magnets.

On Friday, March 8, 2019, 2:15:07 PM EST, Jim Pruitt <jpruitt67@...> wrote:

[...]

Rob <roomberg@...>

$2 bills is real money.

I used to keep a lot of them when I was driving because my turnpike toll one way to work was $2.55  so I would wrap a 50 cent piece and a nickel into a folded triangle made of  a $2 bill and hand it to the toll booth guy and drive off with him thinking I short changed him every time.    He would look at one paper bill and two coins and be pretty certain that could not be $2.55 and he would hit the alarm bell.... the one that said ...we get to chase you for skipping the toll.

I would also use the $2 bills to tip the waitress at the Chinese buffet.

And of course she would run around showing everybody in the kitchen the fake money someone passed her....

and then the owners approached me and scolded me for fake money.

It took a while but they figured it out.

On 03/08/2019 12:52 PM, Stephen Myers via Groups.Io wrote:
I am down here in Panama and when someone request a QSL card, they usually put money in it to cover the cost of postage. On two different occasions, I have rec $2.00 bills. I have them taped to my computer here in the "shack". I often wonder what the clerk would do if I tried to "pass" them! As I am not fluent in Spanish, I would have a hard time trying to explain my way out of the situation.

73's
Steve
de HP9SAM

Dwayne R <masterdr@...>

The 1943 steel pennies are worth about a dollar each in very good condition

If you find a 1943 copper penny,  they are worth well over 100,000 dollars.
Dwayne

On Mar 8, 2019 6:00 PM, "Brian Crittendon via Groups.Io" <aaa5mi@...> wrote:
[...]

David Lininger

For many years now my b-i-l gives each of us two $2 bills as part of our
Christmas gifts. Over the years we've spent them at various places. So
far no one has questioned them.

Part of the reason the Susan B. Anthony dollar coins failed was that
they were too close in size to quarters. The machines would reject them
when the customer would try to use one in place of a quarter, and few
machines were set up to handle them even when the price of the product
was more than a dollar. The new generation of machines accept bills and
can even give change, so there is little need for the dollar coins.

Yes, I do still have some silver dollars.

--
David Lininger, kb0zke
Rev. 2:10

Thomas Martin

You can still buy uncut 2.00 bills from the treasury I would give them to grandkids for birthdays Christmas. You can get them framed as well as various amounts.
I don’t think the kids have cut them up yet.

On Mar 8, 2019, at 8:22 PM, David Lininger <kb0zke@...> wrote:

[...]

Paul AI4EE

In England, ten years ago, they always gave me one pound coins instead
of paper money. they even have a 2 pound coin.

dekle <dekle@...>

On 08/03/2019 8:01 pm, Rob via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

Cliff Fox (KU4GW)

They tried marketing a Barack Obama postage stamp a few years ago as well, but they never went anywhere because people kept spitting on the wrong side!

Very 72,
Cliff, KU4GW
4SQRP # 536

w2sh@...

In July 1945 my mom prepared to journey to France to be reunited with her husband who had been missing since October 1942 when he was arrested by the foreign occupiers and shipped off as slave labor to Germany.  The $100 she took consisted of 50 $2.00 bills, that being the only U.S. paper currency  missing from all the counterfeit bills printed by the Germans that flooded countries that had been occupied.  Paris banks accepted these in exchange for bona fide francs.

72,

Charles (aka Chas), W2SH

[...]

Don Jackson

Hi Steve,

Where abouts are you in Panama?  I've visited there twice, wound up 2nd time operating HP3/ for a couple weeks way out west near Volcan.  That was couple years ago.  Got to meet a lot of HP3 hams in that area.

73,

Don AE5K