Topics

DMR at Ozarkcon

Walter - K5EST

Hello Everyone, a most welcome email arrived this afternoon. Please read below:

...............begin copy...........

Good afternoon Walter,
I’m not sure if you are the right person to take care of this, but I figured that if you
were not you would know who was.

 I have made arrangements for the Branson DMR repeater 444.450+, Color
Code 5 to have the 4SQRP DMR talkgroup 31654 static on Time Slot 1 from
April 3rd until April 9th to facilitate communications among the attendees that
are into DMR. The repeater is located about ½ mile away and will have
excellent handheld coverage inside the Stone Castle resort.

 Could you help get this information widely advertised so people will know it is available.

 Let me know if you have any questions

 73

Jim Parks  NY0J   Branson, MO
........end copy......

NOTE.....Will Osborn - KØWDO & John Lucas- KØJDL, are guest speakers at Ozarkcon
and will be presenting DMR. I am looking forward to the session!

73 everyone........ and Ozarkcon is gonna be fun!

Walter Dufrain - K5EST - Coordinator OzarkCon 2019
 An ARRL approved Specialty Operating Convention

Johnny AC0BQ

Thank you Jim
We appreciate you sharing your repeater with the group!

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Frank Perkins

Hmmm. .  . . DMR . . .
Isn't that where you use a specifically equipped radio, on a specific frequency, with specific coding, specific color banding, at a specific time slot, using a specific password for the hallway, and having passed the retina scan station at the gate, decoding the room number, using the secret knock at the doorway, given the password and secret handshake to the guard, questioning as to the whereabouts of the person to whom you wish to speak, to find out they are not in that particular room at this exact time . . . and " but please try later, as your call is important to us".
Did I miss anything?   :-)
Frank N6CES

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Jeff Logullo N0̸MII

Yes! And here’s the secret handshake:

- 444.450+
- Color Code 5
- Time Slot 1
- Talk Group 31654

Shh! Don’t tell anyone. It’s a secret! ;-)

Last week I talked to a fellow in Scotland on our 4 States TG, so I guess the secret’s out...

Jeff N0̸MII

--
Jeff N0̷MII

Larry Hastings

Hi Frank
Yes Frank, you are absolutely right.
Ham Radio is always changing. It started with a straight key and then along came the "bug's & keyers". How lazy can you get, and it was harder to adjust.  It didn't stop there. Along came AM, FM, SSB, SSTV, RTTY and 100 different kinds or Digital modes (FT-8, JT-65 etc.). My Ham Rig has 136 menu's and 5 ways to scan memory. I still just write the frequency down on a piece of paper and dial it in.
God blessed me with two girls, one was a piece of cake, the other one is 35 and I still don't understand her, but I still love her. I also use the internet every day but have no idea why we need https://. I think it's some kind of code.
DMR may last or it may not. But our hobby is one where you can always learn something new. Even an old dog like me. 73
Larry  AB0AH

W6BOW

Great stuff Larry!
Hope we QSO sometime.
All best to you and yours.
Enjoying my Holltoper 20 and Ham Radio after years QRT to the MAX.
73
W6BOW
Don
San Francisco

On Mar 15, 2019, at 6:53 PM, Larry Hastings <larry7hastings7@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Larry,
Yep, I agree, ham radio as developed over the years. Got my ticket at 14 in 1954. Many years of fun.
Just thought I'd relay my 78 year old understanding of the explanation I got when I asked about DMR.
Kinda like my understanding of FT8, a great thing for the low sunspot cycle.
Wow, who would have guessed everyone could type in a little preamble with call, location, and a few other tidbits, computer holds it, you push a start button and go to bed. All the computers control the rigs, search for qualifying contacts according to a selection criteria, calls cq, makes contact, exchanges pertinent information with the qualifying station's computer, compiles a log with contacts, signal strengths, etc., and prints out a tally sheet for your morning satisfaction, congratulating you on a job well done! :-)
Did I miss anything?
Frank

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019, 7:13 PM W6BOW via Groups.Io <DBuckter=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Gary E. Kohtala

Frank,

FT8 does not work like that. Whoever told you that does not know what he is talking about.
I use FT8 almost daily. In all cases an operator must be at the computer to initiate contacts
and to respond according to what the other station sends. There is nothing automatic about it.
There are programmable scripts similar to macros that make the job a lot easier but the op
must still be there throughout the contact. If you would like to really become knowledgeable about
FT8 (and other JT modes), please peruse this link:  http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.0.1.html.
Whoever gave you that explanation of FT8 is apparently afraid of something that he does not understand it, so FT8 gets
attacked. That is sad, indeed.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

Walter - K5EST

Well now I have a little radio in the works.....some call a SOB (shack on a belt)
and it also has a do-dad that tells me where I be at.......well I paid $200 bucks
to have a thing tell me where I am AT.......sheesh! It oughta have a deal that
can read my mind (the clean thoughts anyway) and talk to whoever is on the
other end of the QSO.

This thing, SOB, don't even have a hose connect to use my straight key or
Bug. It also don't do that FT8 deal, guess cuz their ain't no keyboard. I miss
RTTY and wonder where it ran off to?

Ham Radio is just not movin forward but now sideways.......yup, very soon
newbies can just jump in the InteruptNet and get their Ham license. Now, ain't
that where loosing control that made the CB thing gone sideways?

Maybe it's time to clean the contacts on the Spark transmitter so the sun
will not bother my transmissions :-)

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 10:39 PM Gary Kohtala via Groups.Io <gary.k7ek=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Frank,

FT8 does not work like that. Whoever told you that does not know what he is talking about.
I use FT8 almost daily. In all cases an operator must be at the computer to initiate contacts
and to respond according to what the other station sends. There is nothing automatic about it.
There are programmable scripts similar to macros that make the job a lot easier but the op
must still be there throughout the contact. If you would like to really become knowledgeable about
FT8 (and other JT modes), please peruse this link:  http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.0.1.html.
Whoever gave you that explanation of FT8 is apparently afraid of something that he does not understand it, so FT8 gets
attacked. That is sad, indeed.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

davemrtn <davemrtn@...>

That's a pretty good one Walter !!

I've not heard the 'SOB' thing, that funny.

Wherever I go, there He is.
Recycle, Reuse, Re-purpose, Repair
>Professional Sports - An activity for small minds<
!! There is a reason it is called "Sports Trivia" !!

On 3/16/2019 01:25, Walter - K5EST wrote:
[...]

Jim Parks

Albert Einstein once said “People fear what they do not understand and condemn what they fear”

73

Jim Parks  NY0J

FT8 does not work like that. Whoever told you that does not know what he is talking about.

I use FT8 almost daily. In all cases an operator must be at the computer to initiate contacts

and to respond according to what the other station sends. There is nothing automatic about it.

There are programmable scripts similar to macros that make the job a lot easier but the op

must still be there throughout the contact. If you would like to really become knowledgeable about

FT8 (and other JT modes), please peruse this link:  http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.0.1.html.

Whoever gave you that explanation of FT8 is apparently afraid of something that he does not understand it, so FT8 gets

attacked. That is sad, indeed.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

Duane Brayton

Gary,
Do you not understand humor?

On Mar 15, 2019, at 23:39, "Gary Kohtala via Groups.Io" <yahoo.com@groups.io target=_blank>gary.k7ek=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Frank,

FT8 does not work like that. Whoever told you that does not know what he is talking about.
I use FT8 almost daily. In all cases an operator must be at the computer to initiate contacts
and to respond according to what the other station sends. There is nothing automatic about it.
There are programmable scripts similar to macros that make the job a lot easier but the op
must still be there throughout the contact. If you would like to really become knowledgeable about
FT8 (and other JT modes), please peruse this link:  http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx-doc/wsjtx-main-2.0.1.html.
Whoever gave you that explanation of FT8 is apparently afraid of something that he does not understand it, so FT8 gets
attacked. That is sad, indeed.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

Brian Crittendon

Maybe we should all have plans to make a spark gap transmitter for the day the space aliens come and use EMP to shut us down. Like in the movies. Grin

On Saturday, March 16, 2019, 2:25:25 AM EDT, Walter - K5EST <walter.k5est@...> wrote:

[...]

Good morning Gary,
I was just joking around while sorting out all the wire jumpers in my rigblaster duo.
I thought I'd thrown enough fairy dust in my story to make it funny, but not believable.  Maybe not.
Frank

On Sat, Mar 16, 2019, 8:35 AM Brian Crittendon via Groups.Io <aaa5mi=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

John - KK4ITX

I thought Frank’s definition so funny I sent it out to the 3 local clubs that I belong to..... believe it or not some thought Frank was serious !

It is close though ?

John
KK4ITX

If you need a parachute and don't have one you probably won't need one again.

On Mar 16, 2019, at 12:32, Frank Perkins <N6CES.r@...> wrote:

[...]

W0EAX

Frank
Having just retired as an IT Manager and been involved with networks, government radio systems and cellphones, I see a lot of truth in which you write. Having been a ham operator since 1957, I have witnessed many operating system changes. I don’t see to much fairy dust in your writing. Case in point, Echo Link (networking), the J Modes, FT8, once again computer networking(my thoughts) and we now have cellphones that are also being used as 2 meter/440 transceivers.
Your writing was very clever.
I have a camera that sometimes makes telephone calls ( i7 Plus)
Ron, W0EAX

On Mar 16, 2019, at 1:36 PM, jleahy00 via Groups.Io <jleahy00@...> wrote:

[...]

Yes, of course, however there is a mentality afoot that repeatedly attacks FT8  (and other things they don't understand, not taking time to get the facts).  This is quite rampant and it's difficult to separate the humor from the haters. Sorry if I overreacted. I use FT8 quite regularly and find it quite awesome. For those that don't support FT8 or other modes, please don't belittle those that do. I am sure that is reciprocal in that each amateur makes personal choices. Check out FT8. You will like it. FT8 fits in perfectly for QRP and QRPp work as it is a weak signal mode. Soapbox off.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

Radcliff, KY (EM77at)

Sent from BlueMail

Frank Perkins

Gary, Kentucky is beautiful.
If you get a chance, go North on 31W a little ways to West Point.
As a teenager, I spent time there with my grandfather who lived about 2 blocks from the river. I was born and raised in Lexington.
Small world.
Frank N6CES

On Sat, Mar 16, 2019, 9:41 PM Gary Kohtala via Groups.Io <gary.k7ek=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Yes, of course, however there is a mentality afoot that repeatedly attacks FT8  (and other things they don't understand, not taking time to get the facts).  This is quite rampant and it's difficult to separate the humor from the haters. Sorry if I overreacted. I use FT8 quite regularly and find it quite awesome. For those that don't support FT8 or other modes, please don't belittle those that do. I am sure that is reciprocal in that each amateur makes personal choices. Check out FT8. You will like it. FT8 fits in perfectly for QRP and QRPp work as it is a weak signal mode. Soapbox off.

Best regards,

Gary, K7EK

Radcliff, KY (EM77at)

Sent from BlueMail

Jim Parks

Here is my experience with FT8. I have been a ham for nearly 50 years and had been inactive for the past 20 years due  to the typical excuses, job, family etc. I retired and moved into a condo in Branson MO and decided to become an active ham again. Unfortunately, due to very restrictive HOA regulations a “normal” antenna was out of the question. I did have, however, a 18’ piece of downspout right outside the room where I could put my radio equipment. I jury rigged an antenna out of it, but to no surprise I heard virtually nothing in the way of SSB signals and a few weak CW signals. One day while tuning around on 40m near 7.074 I heard these strange musical tones. Asking around, I discovered FT8. I downloaded the software and learned to use it. In the past 14 months, using this amazing weak-signal mode, I have worked, and have confirmed 49 states on 5 bands and have confirmed over 35 DXCC entities. I would NEVER have been able to do this using the “conventional” modes. This reenergized me in ham radio and kept one old him active. I think this is just an example of just how broad this hobby is. There is something for everybody from 75m rag chewers to 10GHZ moon bounce communicators. I guess my feeling is that you don’t knock it until you have at least tried it. It might just be the right thing for you. You CAN trach an old dog new tricks as long as he has an open mind!!!

73

Jim Parks  NY0J

On Mar 16, 2019, at 09:36, Duane Brayton <dwbrayton@...> wrote:

Gary,

Do you not understand humor?

On Mar 15, 2019, at 23:39, "Gary Kohtala via Groups.Io" < yahoo.com@groups.io target=_blank>gary.k7ek= yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

David Speltz

FT8 is rather remarkable and in a few short weeks I had worked the Falklands, WAS, etc etc on a nine foot vertical all from NH.  However, I really do find PSK, which tends to have the same robust characteristics, more interesting since it is keyboard to keyboard talking other that watching the robot do its work.  I am sure I will be back to FT8 now and then, but after maybe 1000 contacts, there is so much more to do and so little time.

David KB1PJ