Topics

Dummy Load Antenna

Charles Wells

I was looking at the Ozarkcon Dummy Load Special Antenna with an eye toward assembling same.  I'm slightly confused about some details.

My interpretation is that one end of the zip cord is soldered together so that the total length of the radiator is 40 ft.  One end is then connected to the BNC ground and the other to the resistive load.  Is this interpretation correct?

Thanks for your help.

Chas

Paul Smith

Charles,
My dummy load antenna is a dummy load built in a ALTOIDS tin with banana connectors on the OUT end. I attach a hank of wire and string it around the room and it works great with a little more wire to radiate with.
de Paul

Johnny AC0BQ

Gm Charles
Terry used to have a link to a dummy load antenna, but the one I found is Broken?
Maybe someone else has a better link?
73
Johnny

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Dwayne R <masterdr@...>

that isn't a dummy load. . that is a full fledged antenna. . .
The 50 ohm is used to insure a impedance match to the transmitter.

you can do the same thing with very large loops. . .. measuring the
resistance of the wire per 100 feet, and building an antenna that is
long enough to equate to 50 ohms. . . .

No tuner needed. . .

Subject: Re: [4SQRP] Dummy Load Antenna
To: "4 State QRP" <main@4SQRP.groups.io>
Date: Sunday, March 24, 2019, 12:35 PM

Easy
one!
http://wa0itp.com/dlspecial.html

wrote:
I was looking at the Ozarkcon Dummy
Load Special Antenna with an eye toward assembling same.
I'm slightly confused about some details.
My
interpretation is that one end of the zip cord is soldered
together so that the total length of the radiator is 40
ft.  One end is then connected to the BNC ground and the
other to the resistive load.  Is this interpretation
correct?
Thanks for your help.
Chas

--

Check out the
4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

n5ib_2

About two years back I made an OzarkCon QSO Party dummy load out of NiChrome wire. Measured off enough to have a DC resistance of 50 ohms, which was about 50 inches for some fine gauge stuff I had here. It formed into a loop about 17" in diameter, using some polyethylene tubing to define the shape. Since the RF resistance would be somewhat higher I re-measured the formed loop with an antenna analyzer and trimmed for close to 50 ohms resistive part at 7 MHz. The loop, of course, has some inductance, and it took about 200 pF in parallel to tune out that reactance.

Some small PVC pipe and fittings to make a suitable stand and it was ready to QSO. Alas, I had so much fun chatting and visiting that I didn't put it on the air for more than a few minutes.

If you don't have any NiChrome you could achieve a similar effect by stringing a few resistors end-to-end in series, maybe with some wire between them to space them out enough for a loop a foot or so in diameter.

Jim, N5IB

PS... also check out in this group's Files section "Quick HF DF Loop.pdf " uploaded Feb 9 of 2017, as an idea for the oscillator hunt.

Bryan Nehl

This is the dummy load antenna that I built and use:

I did add a binding post to the top.  I have a small telescoping whip with banana plug on the end I can plug into it.

72 de Bryan, k0emt

Charles Wells

Thanks for all of the replies.  Now I've got more possibilities to explore, and that is great.

Chas, AD0UY