Topics

Learning KiCad at Ozarkcon


Walter - K5EST
 

Hi Everyone, at Ozarkcon this year is a really great chance to learn how to use 
KiCad for making professional PCB layouts and 3D printing for your cabinets for radio gear! 

KiCad works for SMD or THT (thru the hole) components, ground planes, and lots of other great features. KiCad is as easy to use for schematic capture, PCB layout and it even gives a 3D rendering of the assembled board. PCB are easy to order direct from China. Download KiCad (see below) and bring along your pc; we'll work on a project together.

KiCad now has a push and shove router which is capable of routing differential pairs and interactively. 
tuning trace lengths.

3D printing is a very cool new technology that kids are learning in middle and high school to make small cabinets, paddles for keyers, etc.  Download and install FreeCad to follow along. Working with 3D is not as difficult at you think.

Barry Buelow - WØIY has 2 time sections of learning this great software for 
us at Ozarkcon. Bring your laptops to follow along with the presentations.

You can download KiCad for free at http://kicad-pcb.org/

What computer OS do you use? Can I use my computer?
Here is the page that gives the info: http://kicad-pcb.org/download/
AND for you Chromebook owners, yes it is possible to run KiCad,

Will KiCad get me away from dead-bug construction? Well, it sure has
a good chance of me changing my ancient ways :-)

Here is a link to FreeCad:      https://www.freecadweb.org/

See you all at Branson.......it's gonna be fun!

Walter Dufrain - K5EST - QRPcw
4 State QRP Group #40 - JARL QRP Club #845
Coordinator, Ozarkcon 2019
 An ARRL approved Specialty Operating Convention




cornhusker
 

The Windows version of this software is a 1.1 GB download.  Be sure to download it at home and/or on the fastest connection you can get.  I am installing it on my laptop.  
73 de K0NEB



Jeff Logullo N0̸MII
 

I’ll try to bring a few memory sticks w/ the download(s) on them...

On Mar 31, 2019, at 6:39 PM, cornhusker via Groups.Io <cornhusker@...> wrote:

The Windows version of this software is a 1.1 GB download.  Be sure to download it at home and/or on the fastest connection you can get.  I am installing it on my laptop.  
73 de K0NEB



--
Jeff N0̷MII


Ed Meyer, WG5F
 

Just finished the download and attempted install. 
It failed.
It essentially said it was not compatible with my Windows Laptop...
(Older Dell Insprion 1545 with WIN10 upgrade)
That doesn't happen to me very often...
Maybe it'll work from a USB stick at OzarkCon.
72,
-Ed, WG5F-


AG1P Ron
 

Probably an incompatible onboard graphics chip on your laptop or the display won’t do resolution they need. I have itel graphics chip on my older Dell Latitude laptop and it isn’t supported.

 

72 - Ron - AG1P

 

From: main@4SQRP.groups.io [mailto:main@4SQRP.groups.io] On Behalf Of wg5f@...
Sent: Monday, April 01, 2019 7:24 PM
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] Learning KiCad at Ozarkcon

 

Just finished the download and attempted install. 
It failed.
It essentially said it was not compatible with my Windows Laptop...
(Older Dell Insprion 1545 with WIN10 upgrade)
That doesn't happen to me very often...
Maybe it'll work from a USB stick at OzarkCon.
72,
-Ed, WG5F-


John - KK4ITX
 

Perhaps you can install the Win7 or XP version if they have one and then run using the compatibility mode ?  

John
KK4ITX 

If you need a parachute and don't have one you probably won't need one again.

On Apr 1, 2019, at 22:55, AG1P Ron <ag1p@...> wrote:

Probably an incompatible onboard graphics chip on your laptop or the display won’t do resolution they need. I have itel graphics chip on my older Dell Latitude laptop and it isn’t supported.

 

72 - Ron - AG1P

 

From: main@4SQRP.groups.io [mailto:main@4SQRP.groups.io] On Behalf Of wg5f@...
Sent: Monday, April 01, 2019 7:24 PM
To: main@4SQRP.groups.io
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] Learning KiCad at Ozarkcon

 

Just finished the download and attempted install. 
It failed.
It essentially said it was not compatible with my Windows Laptop...
(Older Dell Insprion 1545 with WIN10 upgrade)
That doesn't happen to me very often...
Maybe it'll work from a USB stick at OzarkCon.
72,
-Ed, WG5F-


Charles W. Powell
 

Walter,

This is exciting for me.  I have been looking for a primer on printed circuit board design.

Program opens just fine on my Mac.

72,

Chas - NK8O

On Mar 31, 2019, at 5:18 PM, Walter - K5EST <walter.k5est@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone, at Ozarkcon this year is a really great chance to learn how to use 
KiCad for making professional PCB layouts and 3D printing for your cabinets for radio gear! 

KiCad works for SMD or THT (thru the hole) components, ground planes, and lots of other great features. KiCad is as easy to use for schematic capture, PCB layout and it even gives a 3D rendering of the assembled board. PCB are easy to order direct from China. Download KiCad (see below) and bring along your pc; we'll work on a project together.

KiCad now has a push and shove router which is capable of routing differential pairs and interactively. 
tuning trace lengths.

3D printing is a very cool new technology that kids are learning in middle and high school to make small cabinets, paddles for keyers, etc.  Download and install FreeCad to follow along. Working with 3D is not as difficult at you think.

Barry Buelow - WØIY has 2 time sections of learning this great software for 
us at Ozarkcon. Bring your laptops to follow along with the presentations.

You can download KiCad for free at http://kicad-pcb.org/

What computer OS do you use? Can I use my computer?
Here is the page that gives the info: http://kicad-pcb.org/download/
AND for you Chromebook owners, yes it is possible to run KiCad,

Will KiCad get me away from dead-bug construction? Well, it sure has
a good chance of me changing my ancient ways :-)

Here is a link to FreeCad:      https://www.freecadweb.org/

See you all at Branson.......it's gonna be fun!

Walter Dufrain - K5EST - QRPcw
4 State QRP Group #40 - JARL QRP Club #845
Coordinator, Ozarkcon 2019
 An ARRL approved Specialty Operating Convention





Tim N9PUZ
 

For what it's worth KiCad appears to install and run just fine on Ubuntu V18.10

Tim N9PUZ


Michael N6MST
 

For what t's worth, there is a VERY good KiCad tutorial series on YouTube from Contextual Electronics. It's for (I think) the last version of KiCad but still very well done and most of the stuff is the same or similar in KiCad 5. So if you want to get your chops up a bit before Ozarkcon this might be a good way to dive in a bit ahead of time.


Nick Kennedy <kennnick@...>
 

I'm giving it a shot too. My only possibly suitable laptop is a little notebook I put Debian on a couple years ago. I forgot everything it taught me about Linux so I had to spend a whole day learning how to upgrade to the latest release of Debian and then a bit more time to install Kicad. But I'm there! 

If this gets me to the point where I can join the crowd doing boards and having them fabbed at a nice price, I'm gonna be a happy homebrewer.

73-

Nick, WA5BDU



On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 10:59 PM Tim McDonough N9PUZ <tim.n9puz@...> wrote:
For what it's worth KiCad appears to install and run just fine on Ubuntu
V18.10

Tim N9PUZ




cornhusker
 

I brought both programs on thumb drive.  Windows version.  Only took 25 seconds to download on fiber!
73 de K0NEB 



On Wed, Apr 3, 2019 at 4:57 PM, Nick Kennedy
<kennnick@...> wrote:
I'm giving it a shot too. My only possibly suitable laptop is a little notebook I put Debian on a couple years ago. I forgot everything it taught me about Linux so I had to spend a whole day learning how to upgrade to the latest release of Debian and then a bit more time to install Kicad. But I'm there! 

If this gets me to the point where I can join the crowd doing boards and having them fabbed at a nice price, I'm gonna be a happy homebrewer.

73-

Nick, WA5BDU



On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 10:59 PM Tim McDonough N9PUZ <tim.n9puz@...> wrote:
For what it's worth KiCad appears to install and run just fine on Ubuntu
V18.10

Tim N9PUZ