Topics

Any QRP Voice Nets?

Jeff Collins

Dear All,

    Other than the DMR Net are there any QRP Voice Nets for us that has some kind of brain blockage that is not allowing us to learn CW (have attempted to learn in more than one way)?

    In CW I am up to 3 letters and hour...but it is the same 3 letters over and over. :)

    On the flip side I am going to try and listen on on the CW nets...just because.

Thank you,

Jeffrey R. Collins - W7GRV
FCC(SW) USN, Ret.
BS, EMT-P, FF I/II

Dan Reynolds

I've never found anything. Seems mostly QRP & SSB are not good partners. But I've had a lot of fun with it. When things were better I would prowl around contests and pick up some DX. Seems everybody has better ears in a contest. LOL! I think, too it's hard to depend on propagation to schedule a regular net.
This week is one of my favorite events - 13 Colonies. You should give it a try. They often will ask for QRP stations. http://www.13colonies.net/
Hang in there. You can still QRP & SSB and have fun. I've actually gotten (3) 1000 miles per watt QRP-ARCI awards (the ones I turned in). And that was with my old radio a FT-817 and wire antennas.
One more thing, and I will state up front that this is me, I don't advertise that I'm QRP unless someone specifically asks or like in the 13 colonies event they want QRP stations to answer. At least for US amateurs-- they get awfully deaf once you tell them you're QRP. Some are even insulting. Personally I view it as fishing with light tackle. I like the challenge and I like to think I'm accomplishing something.
Have fun.
--
Dan Reynolds -- KB9JLO

Jeff Collins

Dear Dan,

    Thanks for the reply.  I got a couple of stations last year from 13 Colonies. This year I am busy getting my house ready to sell. But I will be caught up by the end of July and will more time to get on the air. I have only been a Ham about 2 years and really on air a little over a year.

        For my 100 watt base station I have a Kenwood TS-520S station (first HF rig) and ICOM 706 MKIIG (will go in my truck once I work out antenna issues) and an ICOM 718 (which will become my field day rig). All of these use a 37 foot End Fed Antenna at 30 feet to the East in a tree and 15 foot to the West on a pole hooked up to a little MFJ tuner.

    I was at the 4 State QRP Conference this year and came away with a better appreciation for QRP work. Really wish CW would stick in my brain. I picked up a nice FT-817ND for a very good price to play with, so I am building a backpack QRP rig to work with. Going to try some Parks On The Air and Peaks On The Air things later in the year. I have also signed up for the NJQRP Skeeter Hunt in August.

Thank you,

Jeffrey R. Collins - W7GRV
FCC(SW) USN, Ret.
BS, EMT-P, FF I/II

On 7/3/2019 9:31 AM, Dan Reynolds wrote:

[...]

N1KWW

Any frequencies for 13 Colonies? Now that siding crew is finishing my "bungalow" will be on the air more often. N1KWW

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 11:24 AM Jeff Collins <w7grv@...> wrote:

[...]

N5VMO Pat

Copied from the 13 Colonies on the Ar 2019 website below information on the event.

EXCHANGE

The exchange for this event is:
CALL SIGN
RS / RST / RSQ
STATE / PROVINCE or COUNTRY

Bands & Modes

All HF bands will be in play, including the WARC bands, with the exception of 60 meters. Simplex on 2 meters and 6 meters is encouraged.

The SE stations are on the east coast and, are very close to each other. It will be harder for these states to contact each other so, use of 40m-160m is encouraged.

All modes of operation may be represented - SSB, CW, RTTY, Digital, Etc. - The mode of operation is up to the individual colony state station. Please refer to the State information pages for details.

The 13 Colonies Special Event is a not for profit event. All donations are used to fund the next years event, and to defray any expenses occurred. All donations are used for operating costs, supplies, equipment, and 13 Colony Group initiatives. Donation is voluntary. If you have difficulty with a donation, tell us on your log sheet, and we will send you the certificate earned-No Questions Asked!.

On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 11:47 AM N1KWW <bgrass2@...> wrote:
[...]

73's Pat  N5VMO

Dr Jim Kennedy

I live in NJ. I would be interested in beginning a 2, 6 or 10 meter QRP SSB net. Need to pick a day and time that works for many and we could give it a try. Then have a net test to see how copyable participants are.
Nothing great was ever achieved by talk and no action.
--
*72/73, Doc - K2PHD
FN20qv - SKCC#5669 - NAQCC#9194 - FISTS#18988*

John KK4ITX

4SQRP has a SSB Group that around 60 have signed up for messages so I believe that there’s interest, someone needs to pick a day, time, frequency and so on.  I would be willing to be an alternate NC.

I get much more enjoyment from a single QSO at 5w than 10 @ 100w, especially when operating on battery power and with homemade antenna systems.

I’m all in ,

John
KK4ITX
ZephyrHills, FL / Wells, ME

If you need a parachute and don't have one you probably won't need one again.

On Jul 3, 2019, at 18:25, Dr Jim Kennedy via Groups.Io <phdad_ccm@...> wrote:

I live in NJ. I would be interested in beginning a 2, 6 or 10 meter QRP SSB net. Need to pick a day and time that works for many and we could give it a try. Then have a net test to see how copyable participants are.
Nothing great was ever achieved by talk and no action.
--
*72/73, Doc - K2PHD
FN20qv - SKCC#5669 - NAQCC#9194 - FISTS#18988*

Michael McEwen

Thank you all for your emails about SSB...I am having to do some downsizing and made the decision to specialize in SSB. The XYL is delighted in the reduction of my gear and I can focus on getting a couple of things done instead of being surrounded by things that others might enjoy.

Please let me know of QRP SSB activities or groups.

Dennis Shelton

The ten meter folks used to have a backscatter net. They basically pointed their antennas away from whomever they tried to contact. Dunno if this would work with the current low sunspot count.

On 7/3/2019 6:25 PM, Dr Jim Kennedy via Groups.Io wrote:
I live in NJ. I would be interested in beginning a 2, 6 or 10 meter QRP SSB net. Need to pick a day and time that works for many and we could give it a try. Then have a net test to see how copyable participants are.
Nothing great was ever achieved by talk and no action.
--
*72/73, Doc - K2PHD
FN20qv - SKCC#5669 - NAQCC#9194 - FISTS#18988*

griffithsesq.robert

You are welcome to check into the Packrats Nets on Monday nights. 50.150 7PM 144.150 or .145 7:30 on up the bands. A number of Packrats check in from NJ.

Griff NE3I

Sent from Mail for Windows 10