40 and 80 Meter net report

Johnny AC0BQ

Ge Group
Well, conditions were pretty good tonight.
40 was doing quite well while 80 was pretty noisy.
I had some pretty loud static crashes in the background.

CHECK IN'S WERE:
 40 METERS
NK8O CHAS
N4MJ GLENN
NOYJ BERT
N4DR MARC
KK5IB DARRYL (NOT JIM!0
N4ELM DAVE
KO8S KARL
KC0PP KEITH
W2SH CHAS
KA9DVX JOHN
N5IB JIM
K0FHG BOB
AD0YJM MIKE
KL7IXI MIKE

80 METERS
WA0ITP  TERRY
N0YJ BERT
NK8O CHAS
K0FHG BOB
K9ZTV KENT
KL7IXI MIKE
N4DR MARC
KC0PP KEITH
N4ELM DAVE
N4MJ GLENN
KG5UK BRAD
QUITE A NICE TURN OUT.
I HOPE TO CE ALL IN BRANSON NEXT WEEK..
72
JOHNNY AC0BQ

JOHNNY AC0BQ  ..

Michael Smith

Johnny, minor edit to my call sign - AD0YM.

I listened throughout the 80m session as well.  Got pretty noisy by the end.  I suppose that is why we were unable to connect for a double?  See you in Branson.

72,
Mike, AD0YM

On Wed, Mar 30, 2022 at 9:24 PM Johnny AC0BQ <jomatlock@...> wrote:
[...]

Gm Mike
Sorry about the error.
I have ur call on my net list and it’s correct.
Thanks for your check in.
72
Johnny ACØBQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

w2sh@...

Mindful of Johnny's recent request to avoid zero-beating his freq., I operated split and did my 40m QNI successfully at 120Hz above his sigl.

On 80m I tried the same thing on Johnny's sig which was RST 549, despite the increased amount of early evening daylight.  No luck at achieving a QNI.

72,

Charles (aka Chas), W2SH

[...]

Charles Moizeau, W2SH

Johnny AC0BQ

Hello Chas
With less zero beat and me using RIT
I was able to manage the pile up.

All this being said, I have been on the other end with numerous CQ’s and no takers.
This is a better problem.
Thanks
72
Johnny ACØBQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

n4mj

Chas & Johnny - not sure what is going on with Johnny's reception, especially on 80m.  Numerous times I've tried to check in on 80m while QRP but no luck.  Johnny's sig were always copiable, many times better than 559 but no Q.  More than once I've had to go QRO, 50w or better, for him to hear me.  Last evening was such an event.

Even with QRO I've given up trying to check in on either band when Bert is NCS.

Was discussing this with a knowledgeable friend earlier today.  His response had to do with antenna polarization but I doubt that is the issue at hand.

My antenna(s) are horizontal and as far as I know so are Johnny and Bert's. I have an option of two antennas on 40m and a single antenna on 80m.

Chas I was hearing you on one or the other and maybe both bands last night. Wish I had noted which band(s) but didn't give it much thought at the time.  Matter of fact I know I've heard you trying to check in multiple  times with no Q.

I hear most of the other guys checking in, some are weak but most are pretty easy copy on both bands. Back in the winter that wasn't always the case.

I've experienced one way propagation a couple of times in the past year or two but plain and simple I do not understand it and I've been hamming 61 years.

Maybe someone has an explanation???

The moral of the story here is don't give up.

73 de n4mj//glenn

  Thank you!

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Johnny AC0BQ

Hello Glenn
Well, my guess would be my high noise level on 80 meters.

I do have a cross over switch and I will
Try it next week.
My antenna is a crossed dipole with a reversing switch which gives it some direction, but not as much as a beam.
72
Johnny ACØBQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

w2sh@...

Glenn,

I believe that my problems trying to QNI the 4SQRP net on 80m are not related to antennas.

Rather the problem lies in the different amounts of daylight prevailing at net time.

In NJ my sunset on Thursday, 30 March occurred at 1921 hours EDT.  In Lebo, KS (Johnny's QTH) for that same day his sunset occurred at 1946 hours CDT (or 2046 hours EDT).  As a result, I had a darkness advantage over Johnny of 85 minutes (2046 minus 1921 minutes).

Therefore it is unsurprising that I could hear Johnny, but he couldn't hear me.

72,

Charles (aka Chas), W2SH

P.S. QRO isn't an option here; my Tentec Argo 6's maximum output is 10 W, not enough more to be worthwhile.

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

--
Charles Moizeau, W2SH

Kent Trimble, K9ZTV

Split is fine as long as you don't split too far.   In order to copy weak signals when QRN is high, NCS stations often filter down to 100 or even 50 cycles.   If someone calls too far from his frequency, the signal will be outside his passband and will not be heard.

72,

Kent  K9ZTV

On Mar 31, 2022, at 2:28 PM, w2sh@... wrote:

[...]

Ge Kent
That is true, but I keep my filters open
so I can hear the weak sigs.
That’s why I have been hearing too much.
72
Johnny

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

n4mj

Hi Johnny,
Sounds like the same situation antenna wise here for 40m.  Two perpendicular, more or less, antennas with switching ability from inside the shack.

Seems I recall you mentioned the high noise at your QTH before.  What about Bert? Does he have same noise issue?

73 de n4mj//glenn

  Thank you!

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Johnny AC0BQ

He Glenn
His noise is worse than mine!
He had high noise levels on 20 meters and determined c it was a power line issue. He finally got them to come look.
They checked grounds and insulators and 20 got better. Now 80 meters is horrible!
Can’t win for loosing?
72
Johnny ACØBQ

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

n4mj

Chas,

You have a good point about the time issue.  You are louder here in TN than N4DR in Rockford usually, he is the closer.  I plan to check the Gray Line during the Fox Hunt tonight, especially at 0100Z.

Just looking at the distances Millington, NJ is about 175 miles further east than Rockford, MD (N4DR). Can't discern which has the Gray Line advantage between W2SH and N4DR as I can hear each one better than the other at times.

It is what it is but mostly it is FRUSTRATING. hi

Learning more everyday, although some days what I learn is almost unfathomable.

73 and C'Ya in the woods
n4mj//glenn

  Thank you!

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

--
Charles Moizeau, W2SH

Curt

When you aren't being heard move up and down about 100 Hertz. Often transmitting the lower offset pitch is more effective.

For many rigs matching your sidetone pitch with the signal being received equates to zero beat. But an older rig can be out of calibration. Also if you accidentally have your RIT engaged and don't notice, this can take you out of the pass band.

Antenna polarization on HF only affects radiation pattern, not being blanked like vhf when there are no ions in the path. Note you can hear him so it’s not antenna behavior.

Those static crashes are probably from storms here in the east. Here I pulled out my hw8 and been making contacts with it. First qrp rig I landed, not counting ugly weekender I built before that. I see the Cyclone, Tut and NC2030 that have not been QRV recently. It needs a little fixing, but I have a pre SWL Dave Benson rig here something before the 40 40.

73 curt