Sent: Friday, March 01, 2013 8:42 PM
Subject: [4sqrp] 4S QRP Watering Holes!

He Guys
Well it's neat to see all the excitement that
has been stirred up with the DiZ Pig Rig!
Now, we need to find some  "Watering Holes  for our group to hang out at so we can go there and see who is calling CQ. 3564 and 7122 seem like candidates for 40 and 80, but how about 20m?
Do we move up a little to 14.062?
Just a thought for you guys to kick around.
We seem to have a new found presence on the QRP world and I think it would be neat to have a place to meet up on the bands!
Thanks
Johnny AC0BQ

David Martin <davemrtn@...>

I hadn't printed schematics yet to see if it's doable, but what about adapting the SAVXO to the Pig Rig ???

On 03/01/2013 08:47 PM, WA0ITP wrote:

It will be super easy to put the existing pigrig on 7122 - 4 crystals is all it takes.  My 7040 rocks are all soldered in, may have to change 'em out.

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72   WAØITP
www.qrpspots.com

Well it's neat to see all the excitement that
has been stirred up with the DiZ Pig Rig!
Now, we need to find some  "Watering Holes  for our group to hang out at so we can go there and see who is calling CQ. 3564 and 7122 seem like candidates for 40 and 80, but how about 20m?
Do we move up a little to 14.062?
Just a thought for you guys to kick around.
We seem to have a new found presence on the QRP world and I think it would be neat to have a place to meet up on the bands!
Thanks

David Martin - K5DCM ---o0o---
Mountain Home, Arkansas

David Martin <davemrtn@...>

Never mind, looks like changing crystals would be a whole lot easier.

On 03/01/2013 09:49 PM, David Martin wrote:

[...]

John Lonigro

Putting the pigrig on 7122 might be super easy, but what happens when you have to move up or down a little when that frequency is busy?

John AA0VE

On 03/01/2013 10:19 PM, David Martin wrote:

[...]

WA0ITP

GM John and all,

At least one person has moved the trim cap that is in series with the crystal to the front panel. He uses a small air variable and it allows pulling the crystal a bit.

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72   WAØITP
www.qrpspots.com

Well it's neat to see all the excitement that
has been stirred up with the DiZ Pig Rig!
Now, we need to find some  "Watering Holes  for our group to hang out at so we can go there and see who is calling CQ. 3564 and 7122 seem like candidates for 40 and 80, but how about 20m?
Do we move up a little to 14.062?
Just a thought for you guys to kick around.
We seem to have a new found presence on the QRP world and I think it would be neat to have a place to meet up on the bands!
Thanks
Johnny AC0BQ

David Martin <davemrtn@...>

Since it's rock-bound, it doesn't matter what freq. it's on....  if the freq is busy, you do the same thing you would at any other freq., wait or join into the QSO.

On 03/02/2013 05:24 AM, John R. Lonigro wrote:
[...]

Phil Anderson

Hi Johnny! I've not been following this thread.........but what about 30-meters......can usually find
activity there late afternoon and early evening.....nice band and not as galactic noisy as 80 and 40...............72, Uncle Phil, W0XI

Paul Smith

30 meters has been my favorite for years for the reasons givin below....
Paul NONBD

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 2, 2013, at 9:02 AM, "Phil Anderson" <aldenmcduffie@...> wrote:

Hi Johnny! I've not been following this thread.........but what about 30-meters......can usually find
activity there late afternoon and early evening.....nice band and not as galactic noisy as 80 and 40...............72, Uncle Phil, W0XI

w2sh@...

I've been following this and the Pig Rig thread.  I seems that there are some concerns over being pinned down to one frequency, and it may be that there will be some VXO modifications that will arrive in due time.  There are some well-known techniques for stretching the frequency swing a small bit, e.g., paralleling a second crystal of almost the same frequency and putting one or more inductors in the pulling circuitry.

Of possible interest is an article published in 73 Magazine for March 1996 by Ken Cornell, W2IMB, SK.
The link is:

http://ia700806.us.archive.org/15/items/73-magazine-1996-03/03_March_1996.pdf

Ken used that simplest of oscillators, the Pierce; An MF102, one crystal, five disc capacitors , one resistor, one rf choke and a permeability tuned inductor.  Ken reports being able to swing a 3.57945 mHz color burst crystal some 30 to 40kHz!  The secret was in the sauce and the sauce used litz wire in the inductor
.

My workbench is currently bare for I am presently concerned with post-Sandy repairs and clean-up, but I find myself not too charmed by the mechanics of the described permeability tuning arrangement.

I'm wondering if the inductor might be litz wire on a toroidal form with the variable tuning supplied by a variable capacitor.  Another thought is that, instead of a variable capacitor, a control winding might be interwound with the litz, and that control winding could be shunted by a rheostat.  Varying the rheostat's resistance would vary the impedance that the control winding would reflect back into the litz winding, and thus change its inductance and the oscillator's frequency.

72,

Charles, W2SH

To: 4sqrp@...; davemrtn@...
CC: wa0itp@...; jomatlock@...

Well it's neat to see all the excitement that
has been stirred up with the DiZ Pig Rig!
Now, we need to find some  "Watering Holes  for our group to hang out at so we can go there and see who is calling CQ. 3564 and 7122 seem like candidates for 40 and 80, but how about 20m?
Do we move up a little to 14.062?
Just a thought for you guys to kick around.
We seem to have a new found presence on the QRP world and I think it would be neat to have a place to meet up on the bands!
Thanks
Johnny AC0BQ

John Lonigro

Charles:

The unique feature of the Pigrig is the narrow crystal filter is also tuned to 7.031 MHz.  The entire rig is designed around that frequency.  Diz was able to do that because it is a single frequency rig.  That's why, for example, you can't easily modify it to use the SAVXO.

72,
John AA0VE

To: 4sqrp@...; davemrtn@...
CC: wa0itp@...; jomatlock@...

Well it's neat to see all the excitement that
has been stirred up with the DiZ Pig Rig!
Now, we need to find some  "Watering Holes  for our group to hang out at so we can go there and see who is calling CQ. 3564 and 7122 seem like candidates for 40 and 80, but how about 20m?
Do we move up a little to 14.062?
Just a thought for you guys to kick around.
We seem to have a new found presence on the QRP world and I think it would be neat to have a place to meet up on the bands!
Thanks
Johnny AC0BQ

Bill Cromwell

On Sun, 2013-03-03 at 05:50 -0600, John R. Lonigro wrote:

Charles:

The unique feature of the Pigrig is the narrow crystal filter is also
tuned to 7.031 MHz. The entire rig is designed around that frequency.
Diz was able to do that because it is a single frequency rig. That's
why, for example, you can't easily modify it to use the SAVXO.

72,
John AA0VE

Hi,

To be crystal clear (pun intended) the crystal filter is in the front
end of the receiver and NOT at some IF or "shifted frequency". A VXO
won't help much. It sounds like a lot of fun. But it's not my cup of tea
being so restricted, either. Unless..I have some *other* radios I can
use when the Pig Rig frequency is in use. Like the radios that surround
me when I'm typing emails (evil grin).

73,

Bill KU8H

W0IIT

Bill,

Your sense of humor, I like!!! I have been sitting here doing email for two hours----time that would really have been better spent on one of the rigs that surround me!!!!!!

Thanks es 72, Bart

Jerry Haigwood <jerry@...>

Hi All,

     I believe it was Diz’s intent to use the Pig Rig for clubs, nets, etc.  Each club (such as 4sqrp) could have their very own frequency setup.  That way, the club members could stay in contact with one another.  It is not necessary to stick with 7030.7KHz but rather the club could pick a different frequency.  Once the club had picked a frequency then the club would buy the required crystals from whomever they like to put their pig rigs on that frequency.  The radio was never intended to be a general purpose 40 meter radio but was intended for single frequency use by clubs or nets.  I remember when I was about 16 years old, the one of the local AM radio stations was giving away am radios as a promotion.  Of course, the radios only received the single am station that was giving them away!  They had a single knob – on/off and volume.

Jerry W5JH

On Sun, 2013-03-03 at 05:50 -0600, John R. Lonigro wrote:

> Charles:
>
> The unique feature of the Pigrig is the narrow crystal filter is also
> tuned to 7.031 MHz. The entire rig is designed around that frequency.
> Diz was able to do that because it is a single frequency rig. That's
> why, for example, you can't easily modify it to use the SAVXO.
>
> 72,
> John AA0VE

Hi,

To be crystal clear (pun intended) the crystal filter is in the front
end of the receiver and NOT at some IF or "shifted frequency". A VXO
won't help much. It sounds like a lot of fun. But it's not my cup of tea
being so restricted, either. Unless..I have some *other* radios I can
use when the Pig Rig frequency is in use. Like the radios that surround
me when I'm typing emails (evil grin).

73,

Bill KU8H

Robert

I will put in for a pig rig on 7122

I will put one of the rigs on order this afternoon and see what happens with the crystals

Bert
N0YJ

WA0ITP

GE Bert,

You're going to order it from Diz with 7122 xtals?

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72 WA�ITP
www.qrpspots.com

| I will put one of the rigs on order this afternoon and see what happens with
the crystals

| Bert
| N0YJ

Charlie Vest