Topics

4SQRP] 30 Meter Hilltopper Kit & More

Andy - GM0NWI

For whats worth, not much probably !

I’d love to see them complete-everything-you-need

SMD Kit Form

Once even the oldest or novice ham practices in tranquil surrounding i think even they would become accomplished constructors

Everythings getting smaller in footprint in our world so why not be the folks to give confidence in abundance

as a club designing state-of-the-art SMDKits ?

OR BRINGING BACK KITTED things Like Norcal Sierra - NC-20/30/40

A new “ Build It Your Complete Kit Of Needed Bits “ to construct a small-footprint “ Bug “ !

Loads ! Of Options

I myself have put out the idea many a time for a club to do-things with the north ottawa qrp club ( micro model only ) touch-paddle

With things that could be added etc

Alas to no avail put down like a horse no longer required for the job

This is only thought on the SMD package but if folks had a lil’ smt tool supply along with their everyday soldering tools

Then kits would more requested & tried as the fear factor would deminish

72’s 73’s
Andy -GM0NWI

John - KK4ITX

I think that the problem with SMT kits will be in IDing the various components at the build stage.

 I have only built a few projects that require SMT and got the hang of it quickly but at 77 I confess that my eyes are not quite what they used to be AND from what I’ve read some parts actually don’t have any ID on them so it’s difficult for the kitter and the kit builder.  Perhaps a dot of color and separate packages for caps and resistors ?

One does need some steady hands and eye assistance but the results are worth the effort.

John
KK4ITX

Visit:  www.zaarc.org.   👁

On Nov 23, 2020, at 20:30, Andy - GM0NWI via groups.io <andy.gm0nwi1@...> wrote:

[...]

Curt

Andy

interesting thoughts. with some key parts like Si5351a PLL's only available in SMD form we are seeing more hybrid kits, with these critters pre-installed.  note QRP Labs is planning a smaller version of QCX with the builder only having to install through hole parts.

I did look over a few of my SMD successes -- let's see a frequency counter to the NC2030 that was nearly all surface mount.  Maybe my biggest SMD wonder was homebrewing a WBR regen receiver (which BTW is a wonderful 40m CW/SSB receiver) that needed a small value varactor.  i had gotten a very tiny sample, mounted it to a little board made for some IC form factor that fit - and it let me attach leads to it.  could I do it again?  maybe.  am I am looking forward to maybe replacing a bad Si5351a on my original QCX (when and if I order one)?  i guess I should be up to the challenge but it might take some patient effort.

some of us have deep enough stashes of thru hole parts, but the opportunity to mount a few SMD parts for a project (on media that can accept them) is worthwhile.  or build something with tubes and real big components.

73 CUL curt wb8yyy

John - KK4ITX

I have seen a few “practice kits” with a PCB and 50-60 parts to solder on..... perhaps 4S would develop a SMT learning kit along with some Hints & Kinks...... it’s here and we need to deal with it.

John
KK4ITX

Visit:  www.zaarc.org.   👁