4SQRP HF Test Set

davemrtn

I have had the HF Test Set kit for a long time and today I was digging through a box of un-built kits and found it.

The board is stuffed now and I was studying the schematic and I must say this is a great kit with great features for testing hf transceiver kits.

Too bad it has been a loooong time since it was retired.

Documentation is still available in the 'retired kits' section of the 4SQRP kits page.

Wherever I go, there He is.

Johnny AC0BQ

Hello Dave
We were thinking about
Updating it and offering it again.

Possibly in a case?
73
Johnny

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

William Fogel

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.  I for one would love to build this kit and could certainly use the test equipment.  If you are not going to build it let me be the first to say I will buy it from you.  On the other hand, if you are going to build it let me put my vote in for starting this kit all over again!

Anyone listening to this reflector?

73  Bill

Bill Fogel AG5SK
2500 E. Business Hwy. 83, Lot 264
Mission, TX 78572
956-424-5625

William Fogel

Music to my ears, Johnny.  Let me know when and the order will be placed.

73 de Bill

Johnny AC0BQ

Ok Bill
From thinking stage to kit sales could easily be 6 months!!
Takes a lot of planning to put out a kit.
72

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

davemrtn

If current 'proud' owners of a HF Test Set were ask, I wonder what (if any) additions or changes would be on there wish list ??

Wherever I go, there He is.

On 5/25/2021 9:56 PM, Johnny AC0BQ wrote:
Ok Bill
From thinking stage to kit sales could easily be 6 months!!

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Johnny AC0BQ

Hello David.
I own a original one that I use.

I have some wishes.

A rotary selector switch to choose the options, so one set of probes.

A case with the display mounted in it.

Possibly a RF signal generator, this may be asking a lot?

Possibly ardunio control instead of a rotary switch, using a encoder and menu,  hmm getting fancy now??
72
Johnny

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 10:14 PM davemrtn <davemrtn@...> wrote:

If current 'proud' owners of a HF Test Set were ask, I wonder what (if any) additions or changes would be on there wish list ??

Wherever I go, there He is.

On 5/25/2021 9:56 PM, Johnny AC0BQ wrote:
Ok Bill
From thinking stage to kit sales could easily be 6 months!!

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Timothy East

And I would also be interested

Tim
K0EMP

On May 25, 2021, at 21:53, William Fogel <wefogel@...> wrote:

Thank you for bringing this to my attention.  I for one would love to build this kit and could certainly use the test equipment.  If you are not going to build it let me be the first to say I will buy it from you.  On the other hand, if you are going to build it let me put my vote in for starting this kit all over again!

Anyone listening to this reflector?

73  Bill

Bill Fogel AG5SK
2500 E. Business Hwy. 83, Lot 264
Mission, TX 78572
956-424-5625

WA0ITP

Hi Bill,
IIRC. NM0S was going to take a look at modernizing it, knobs circuitry , etc. ad you can imagine he has been extremely busy with Ocon and FDIM   Heel get to it im sure when time becomes available. Tnx for the interest

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 9:53 PM William Fogel <wefogel@...> wrote:
Thank you for bringing this to my attention.  I for one would love to build this kit and could certainly use the test equipment.  If you are not going to build it let me be the first to say I will buy it from you.  On the other hand, if you are going to build it let me put my vote in for starting this kit all over again!

Anyone listening to this reflector?

73  Bill

--

Tom Sevart

On 5/25/2021 22:05, davemrtn wrote:
If current 'proud' owners of a HF Test Set were ask, I wonder what (if any) additions or changes would be on there wish list ??
I don't know about others, but I personally installed mine inside a case and instead of using the jumpers to switch between functions, I used a rotary switch to choose which function I need. I find this makes it a lot more user friendly. I then installed LED's in the front panel as indicators for which function I'm using. Plus I put a jack on the front of the case in which to plug in crystals for the crystal oscillator.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

davemrtn

Tom, do you never use more than one of Test Set devices at a time ?

NA1MH

> If current 'proud' owners of a HF Test Set were ask, I wonder what (if
> any) additions or changes would be on there wish list ??

I don't know about others, but I personally installed mine inside a case
and instead of using the jumpers to switch between functions, I used a
rotary switch to choose which function I need.  I find this makes it a
lot more user friendly.  I then installed LED's in the front panel as
indicators for which function I'm using. Plus I put a jack on the front
of the case in which to plug in crystals for the crystal oscillator.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

N5SE

Hello all,
Just want to drop my two cents worth in.  A sweep generator and small screen oscilloscope would be wonderful. If the ardunio control is included, please make it optional so the non-ardunio ham could still use it.
72
Billy N5SE

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com
Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

THOMAS SMITH

Put me on the list for one or more.
Thanks,
Tom N5AMA

On 5/26/2021 16:14, davemrtn wrote:
Tom, do you never use more than one of Test Set devices at a time ?
NA1MH
Actually, yes. I often use the frequency counter along with the crystal oscillator. But next to the crystal oscillator section on the front panel, I have a switch to turn on the counter. Other than that I've never had to use any of the other function at the same time.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Curt

Excellent idea to provide a useful tool to kit builders and homebrews.

Seek to add an LC measurement capability.  NJQRP once offered it in Elsie, maybe George Heron could be asked for coding help.

I suggest aiming to fill in gaps between what nanovna and tinysa offer, and focus on less tech savvy builders. I still use hftestset and Elsie.

Curt

John Lonigro

If an Arduino is part of the system, it won't be anything you'd have to be concerned with.  It's like the microcontrollers in modern radios (or refrigerators, microwaves, washers, dryers,etc).  They are there to provide functionality and no programming or other computer skills are necessary to use them.  In fact, the original HF Test Set has a microprocessor in it.  No programming (by the user) was required.  Hope this puts your mind at ease.

72,
John, AA0VE

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com
Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Jim, N5IB

The LC meter feature would be a great addition to a Test Set.
If an Arduino or just a bare ATMega328 is being used to control it, adding the LC meter feature wouldn't be hard.

I did one as a "proof of concept" a couple of years ago, using an oscillator circuit similar to that employed in the popular AADE meter, an Arduino NANO controller, and an I2C interfaced LCD display.

For those that are interested, I've attached a schematic of the oscillator as well as my Arduino code. It only uses 27% of the program memory and 27% of the RAM, so it can fit with other applications.

Jim, N5IB

Curt

Jim

much appreciated. Here is my brainstorm on what to consider for HF test set II

LC meter
frequency counter from the original
2 level xtal signal generator like NorCal s59
audio oscillator
few watt dummy load with w7zoi style detector

that’s a lot of basic test equipment for the basic builder. One can supplement this with widely available gear as needed.

73 Curt wb8yyy

John

People want a nice HF Test set with an applications guide to learn from

We have nanovna, tinysa. So bring it on
John ve3ips

PhilKE3FL

Yes, this would be a wonderful kit to have for future kit building. Count me in. I've also seen some really good suggestions but I don't really even know what was included in the original kit so those in the know will have to be the ones to select, or not, any new features.
--
73 de KE3FL
Phil Karras