4SQRPG antenna tuner/coupler

OwlCricker - K7ULM

In my limited ham experience the 4S-Tuner/Antenna Coupler
Designed by David Cripe, NMØS, is a fun simple build and it is an awesome QRP tool. I use it quiet often and it is simple to use, powerfully effective and introduces very little if any noticable losses in QRP communications.  Using it, from Montana I can work all of the US, Canada, Mexico, PR, and parts of Europe.   With 5w, if I can hear them. I can generally work them.  Working weak signal SOTA and POTA activator are a blast to test the effectiveness of your QRP gear and the 4SQRPG Tuner improves performance.   The two indicator lights speed up tuning and make double checking the tune quick also.  Switching bands is a snap as it is dead on repeatable.  Plus it is a great looking piece of kit.  Tip of the hat to Dave Cripe, NM0S, for the fantastic design and to 4SQRPG for making it available.  Thanks for all your great kits, they have greatly enhanced my enjoyment of the hobby.
K7ULM Dick

W6BOW

Dick,

Thanks for the excellent testimonial most helpful.

I just purchased the 4S-Tuner/Antenna Coupler kit via the 4SQRP website.
I'm looking forward to the assembly (with 4SQRP's group support if that may be needed).
I have built Dave's Hilltopper-20 kit and am contemplating acquiring/assembling the 40M and 30M versions of this versatile and robust rig.
(My wife will be part of those "contemplations" for reasons which are no surprise of course.)

I'd hoped to join the Wednesday 4SQRP Net during my cross country road trip this past summer. Circumstances prevented me from transmitting but I did RX the net FB from our motel parking lot in Memphis using a short wave portable radio and the venerable "hank" of wire.
(Out here in my home QTH SF my 4SQRP net monitoring is limited to internet (SDR).

I'll be with family in NJ over the holidays with a reasonable expectation of being able to join the 4SQRP 40 net from there - running QRP through my newly assembled 4S-Tuner/Antenna Coupler.

73

Don
W6BOW

[...]

K9NUD-Steve

What a great little kit!
--
73 de K9NUD

F1BFU - Fr - 79

Hi Steve

Too bad we can't have such a kit in France or even PCBs.

73
Gilles F1BFU since 1969
GQRPClub 15889
QRP ARCI 16979

Le 22 oct. 2021 à 13:40, K9NUD-Steve <k9nud@...> a écrit :

What a great little kit!
--
73 de K9NUD

Gilles F1BFU since 1969
GQRPClub 15889
QRP ARCI 16979

Ted

Will the club not post to France?  I would be tempted to purchase a kit and send it myself.

-ted

F1BFU - Fr - 79

Hi Ted

No, the club does not want to send to France because of the high customs fees.
Maybe I'll turn to the ATU of the GQRPClub. I will study the characteristics of the two kits and then make a decision.

In any case, it's very kind of you for this proposal.

73 Gilles F1BFU since 1969
GQRPClub 15889
QRP ARCI 16979

Le 22 oct. 2021 à 13:56, Ted via groups.io <k3rta@...> a écrit :

Will the club not post to France?  I would be tempted to purchase a kit and send it myself.

-ted

Adam

The 4S Tuner really is the perfect bit of kit in the field!
I built mine several years ago and use it regularly with my Bayou Jumper.
There are other QRP tuners on the market, but this is the perfect package with the cool features it has to offer including a built in attenuator, more adjustment then some other QRP tuners and twin LED indicators which are very useful even in bright daylight.

72
Adam
VK8FEET

Steve MIller

It's not the custom fees but the embargos due to covid....but shipping to anywhere out of the U.S. has become very expensive.

Steve N0SM

On Friday, October 22, 2021, 07:33:06 AM CDT, F1BFU - Fr - 79 <gilles.f1bfu@...> wrote:

Hi Ted

No, the club does not want to send to France because of the high customs fees.
Maybe I'll turn to the ATU of the GQRPClub. I will study the characteristics of the two kits and then make a decision.

In any case, it's very kind of you for this proposal.

73 Gilles F1BFU since 1969
GQRPClub 15889
QRP ARCI 16979

Le 22 oct. 2021 à 13:56, Ted via groups.io <k3rta@...> a écrit :

Will the club not post to France?  I would be tempted to purchase a kit and send it myself.

-ted

AG1P Ron

GM Gilles,

I would like to add to Steve’s comments.  Besides expensive shipping - at one point it cost $180 USD to ship a $30 USD kit to South Africa - we had a lot of kits taking between a month and 2 months to arrive at DX locations. One kit from US to Canada took 3 month to arrive. As you can imagine, the buyer was not happy.  A number were lost in transit and we had to refund the buyer wit the club taking a loss. Some DX buyers filed a claim with PayPal and with the refund, we lost the profit, the kit and the cost to ship. We are a small  non-profit so just can’t afford to lose the revenue needed to put on OzarkCon every year.

At some point in the future when sanity returns to the postal system, we will reopen sales to DX locations. It is our hope that comes sooner than later.

72 - Ron - AG1P

4SQRP Volunteer Secretary/Treasurer

[...]

Many thanks Ron. I understand the problem.
Thanks for you explanation.

73 QRO

Gilles F1BFU since 1969
GQRPClub 15889