Topics

Murania Radio Low Audio Outout

nm0s_qrp <ai9e_qrp@...>

One common issue with the Murania is overcoupling between the main coil and the coupling loop.  If the circuit is oscillating, that voltage will push the AGC down, reducing the circuit gain.  Try sliding the ferrite rod as far to the left (away from the coupling loop) as you can, and reduce the size of the coupling loop also.

Curt M.

I did the mods this evening.

Sound is slightly louder, definitely clearer. Tuning seems a little more selective.

I wish it was louder. Next to the Nouveau 75 the N75 is more of what I was expecting as far as audio output goes. I may still look into putting a small amplifier inside of the radio. I’ll admit that I have hearing loss but most radios that I use are able to overcome my loss which allows me to hear most radios well. The Murania seems to be right on the threshold.

Johnny AC0BQ

The mods are listed in the Miranda Sub group.

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 9:21 AM Johnny Matlock via Groups.Io <jomatlock=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Gm guys
My audio was quite low until I did the
Mod that was posted on the group.
It performs a lot better now.

On Sun, Nov 10, 2019 at 9:17 AM Charles W. Powell via Groups.Io <doctorcwp=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Curt,

I never set my Murania up in the stock format, but rather did the mod to make it into a regenerative receiver.  I don’t find the volume room filling that way, but with the radio nearby it has adequate audio.  Search the forum for the mods to the radio.  Either way, I think the audio volume is somewhat limited.  With the regen mod, the volume range is greatly limited but I’m told it’s louder.  Someone correct me if I am wrong.

73,

Charles - NK8O

On Nov 9, 2019, at 10:41 PM, Curt M. <WU3URADIO@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Hi guys, I finished Murania the other day and the speaker the output is really low. I double checked all the the components and everything seems fine. It wasn’t specified if +/- on the speaker had to go on any specific terminals on the secondary of the transformer but I suspect they don’t.

I was expecting that just like with my older transistor radios I would be able to set this on the counter and listen to the baseball games in the summer. I pretty much have to hold the radio within a foot of my head to make it out well. I adjusted the loop for the best sound and my battery is new. I may be able to put a small audio amplifier in the same case but before I do that I wanted to see if this is what everyone else has experienced? It was a fun kit to build but I’m disappointed in the speaker output.  I may not have built it if I knew it was going to be this low.

Maybe the audio transformer is defective. The manual had me primed for loud audio being that they tell you to set the volume at 50% while testing. Volume at 50% on my radio is nearly impossible to hear.

Curt M.