Topics

Recommendation for a Butane Soldering Iron?

Gwen Patton

I'm fond of my Dremel 2000-01 VersaTip. It's a bit larger than most, but it has a very comfortable grip, LOTS of fuel capacity, and gets easily hot enough to solder coax connectors! I use it where I can't plug something in. (I COULD connect my TS100 to a 19v power bank, but it doesn't really have enough thermal mass to do a heavy coax connector, and certainly not while outside in the wind.)

This model is nicely inexpensive and works fine. $31 on Amazon Prime.

73,
Gwen, NG3P

On Wed, Nov 13, 2019 at 10:05 AM Mike Stewart <mike.n0tu@...> wrote:
Good morning,

Thank you gentlemen for the recommendations and advice. I knew this was a good place to ask.

I'll study these options and ask the recipient a few more questions to zero in on the best option for his needs.

Your input is much appreciated,

72,

Mike
N0TU

--

-+-+-+-+-
Jenny Everywhere's Infinite: Quark Time

Mike Stewart

Good morning,

Thank you gentlemen for the recommendations and advice. I knew this was a good place to ask.

I'll study these options and ask the recipient a few more questions to zero in on the best option for his needs.

Your input is much appreciated,

72,

Mike
N0TU

_Dave_K0MBT <davesters@...>

Hi Jim,

I too went into the Army after a year of college My draft number was low so signed up to be an ASA fighter up in Devens. Went to electronics training right out of Basic and became an Intercept Recording Systems Technician. Hung around the mars station some but never did learn ditties. Was in the old WW2 barracks, company D.
--
73    Dave
k0mbt

Jim Sheldon

I have fond memories of those old heavy copper soldering irons.  The first radio I ever repaired (I was around 11 years old) was done with one of those irons heated on the kitchen stove!  The radio was an old Crosley AM/Short Wave table top radio that had blown a dual 20 microfarad 300 volt electrolytic capacitor (power filter) and hummed like crazy.  My father was going to throw it out.  Local radio shop where I used to hang out (much to my father's dislike) taught me what I needed to know and actually gave me the capacitor.  Father quit yelling at me after I laid the radio on the kitchen table, cut out the old cap and soldered in the new replacement.  Plugged the radio in and it worked!  After that I was allowed to visit the radio shop as much as they would let me.  I'd have gotten my ham ticket way back then had I been able to learn CW on my own.

CW came later after a year in college when due to financial reasons, I enlisted in the Army Security Agency as a "Morse Intercept Operator" and let Uncle Sam pound it into my head 8 hours a day.  Never looked back and CW still my favorite mode of operating.

Jim, W0EB

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Tom KA3GGI

My wife bought a butane torch to use in baking from Bed Bath and Beyond its real small, but works nice and uses a can to refuel.  Tom  KA3GGI

On Monday, November 11, 2019, 03:50:45 PM EST, John Lonigro <jonigro@...> wrote:

Another alternative might be buying a cheap (aka Harbor Freight) generator and then powering an electric soldering iron/gun with it.  A temperature controlled iron might be finicky about the quality of the sinewave being produced by the generator, but regular low tech irons/guns are just heating elements and wouldn't care (if soldering irons could care).  If a butane iron is suitable, I doubt a temperature controlled iron would be needed.  And the generator might be able to power a lightbulb if soldering in a place with no electricity.  Something that puts out a couple hundred Watts should be sufficient.

John, AA0VE

On 11/11/19 2:30 PM, Thomas Martin wrote:
Don’t know if anyone has seen the new Ryobi battery operated soldering irons they came out with uses the 18 volt one plus batteries used on other tools.
They have two models one is an adjustable and one fixed temp. I ordered the adjustable one but have not had time to use it yet.
I used to do field engineering work and understand the need for tools to be used in remote and unusual places. Ryobi also makes a 12 volt charger so batteries can be charged in the vehicle.
This might be a good alternative to the butane route.

Tom
K0amd

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Jeff, K9JP

Hello Mike,

I have had a Weller WPA2 - Pyropen Pro cordless Self-Igniting Butane Soldering Iron 60W, 482 to 932 degrees F. for at lest 10 years without issues or problems of any kind. There are over ten different tip styles that you can purchase to use with this Butane Soldering iron. The price has gone up over the years like everything else, but when you need cordless, this works very well.

73, Jeff K9JP

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 9:56 AM Mike Stewart <mike.n0tu@...> wrote:

[...]

Not all of me will die - - - The good I do will live forever.  Jeff, K9JP<><

Johnny AC0BQ