60 Meter crystals needed

I need three HC49 type crystals for the 60 Meter Amateur band.  The ones I am seeking are for channel 3 (5358.5 MHz), channel 4 (5373 MHz) & Channel 5 (5405 MHz).  They can be either the short HC49 S or the tall HC49 U, although I would prefer the tall ones...I will take whatever I can get.  I have the first 2 channels and just want to get the remaining 3 channels.

EuGene Smith, KA5NLY

Paul AI4EE

Have you considered QRP Labs' ProgRock?

On 11/19/2020 8:02 PM, bigusmith via groups.io wrote:
I need three HC49 type crystals for the 60 Meter Amateur band.  The ones I am seeking are for channel 3 (5358.5 MHz), channel 4 (5373 MHz) & Channel 5 (5405 MHz).  They can be either the short HC49 S or the tall HC49 U, although I would prefer the tall ones...I will take whatever I can get.  I have the first 2 channels and just want to get the remaining 3 channels.

EuGene Smith, KA5NLY

Bobby Drummond

Eugene:

Here is a USA source of crystals for two of the 60 meter channels:

This is the location for KC9ON's 3rd Planet Solar site.  He has crystals for "channel 4" and "channel 5"   I have ordered those crystals (and other crystals from him) and the quality is great and his service is excellent.

I am not aware of anyone that has crystals for channel 1, channel 2 or channel 3 for the 60 meter band at this time.  If you have a source for those crystals, would you please let me know?  I would be interested in getting some.

--
73 de AK4JA

I messed up on my posting...I have channels 4 & 5 (bought 'em from 3rd Planet Solar)...it is channels 1, 2, & 3 that I need.  If I find a source for them I will post it on here (and on other groups where I have asked about such crystals.

On Friday, November 20, 2020, 5:42:33 AM CST, Bobby Drummond <alphak4ja@...> wrote:

Eugene:

Here is a USA source of crystals for two of the 60 meter channels:

This is the location for KC9ON's 3rd Planet Solar site.  He has crystals for "channel 4" and "channel 5"   I have ordered those crystals (and other crystals from him) and the quality is great and his service is excellent.

I am not aware of anyone that has crystals for channel 1, channel 2 or channel 3 for the 60 meter band at this time.  If you have a source for those crystals, would you please let me know?  I would be interested in getting some.

--
73 de AK4JA

Bobby Drummond

EuGene:

Curious here.  Did you build one of the GW3UEP 60 meter transmitters?  I just finished one and it works great.  It puts out around 5 watts output when powered with 12 volts DC.

If you did build one, contact me via email.  I would like to set up a schedule to work you on 60 meters, homebrew to homebrew.

AK4JA

On Fri, Nov 20, 2020 at 3:39 PM bigusmith via groups.io <bigusmith=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

I am not familiar with the GW3UEP, but would like to learn more about it and where to get the kit.  I have been thinking of modifying a 40 or 80 meter Pixie to work on 60 meters.  But I would prefer a dedicated 60 meter kit, as I am more of an appliance operator rather than a circuit designer, thus I suspect a circuit modified by me would be a sub-standard piece of gear.

Once I get a 60 meter unit up and running I would gladly set up a sked.  At this time, I am ordering 60 meter crystals from Bomar Crystal (sales@...).  They custom make HC49/U crystals.

EuGene Smith
KA5NLY/QRPp

On Saturday, November 21, 2020, 1:35:56 AM CST, Bobby Drummond <alphak4ja@...> wrote:

[...]

I don't know anything about the QRP Labs ' ProgRock rig...not even knowledgeable about QRP Labs.  Is their website qrplabs,com or something like that?  I will try to go check them out.

EuGene, KA5NLY

Casey

the BreadBoard Radio 60 meter Woodpecker is about to debut. It is not a beginner's kit.

72 de Casey KC9IH / WD9GKA

Bobby Drummond

Hope it see it soon (knock on wood)

AK4JA

On Tue, Nov 24, 2020 at 12:00 AM Casey via groups.io <kc9ih=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
the BreadBoard Radio 60 meter Woodpecker is about to debut. It is not a beginner's kit.

72 de Casey KC9IH / WD9GKA

--
73 de AK4JA

Casey,

Who will be carrying that kit?  QRPme?  4SQRP?  QRP-ARCI?  etc?

EuGenen Smith
KA5NLY

On Monday, November 23, 2020, 11:00:50 PM CST, Casey via groups.io <kc9ih@...> wrote:

the BreadBoard Radio 60 meter Woodpecker is about to debut. It is not a beginner's kit.

72 de Casey KC9IH / WD9GKA

Back to the subject of 60 meter crystals:

Well, I tried Bomar Crystals Company for 60 meter crystals and they sent me an e-mail that they can make them, so I sent the an order for a quote on 2crystals each for channels 1, 2, & 3.  Here is the cost quote that I received from them:

Please find below quotation for your review and approval.
Custom Radio Crystals for:
Homebrew QRP
Per your previous email you indicated as below
Load capacitance: 30 pF
XX = 30
Temp. range:  -10/+50C   = B
Tolerance:  30 PPM = E
Stability:  30 PPM = E
Mode:  Fundamental = 1 Qty: 2 each of
BCIEEB130-5.332000
BCIEEB130-5.348000
BCIEEB130-5.358500

Qty: 6
Unit price : $45.00
Lead time: 4 to 6 weeks

Please note our Minimum order is $100.00 or 2 xtals @ $50.00 each
plus Shipping via US Priority Mail is $10.00

**************************************

Since they are $45 each ($50 if I order only 2 because of minimum order being $100), the full set of 6 would slap me with a $270 bill (plus postage - probably still $10).

Since I don't have a money room like Scrooge McDuck, I will have to pass on the Bomar deal and keep searching for a crystal source with affordable prices.

EuGene, KA5NLY

Well, I said phooey on Bomar and bought EPSON SGR-8002DC-PTM   crystal replacement oscillators from Digikey for $4.10 each.  They are super accurate (better than most crystals) and are direct replacements - except they need 5 volts to operate (no big deal).and won't plug into the crystal sockets, so one needs to make jumper cables to  to connect them to the crystal sockets.  I will put them in a small project box...probably use a 9 volt source with a resistor or regulator to get the needed 5 volts..That way I can use a 9 volt wall wart in the shack and 9volt battery in the field (back packing, SOTA, Field Day, etc.).  Current draw is so low that the battery should last quite a while, but  one can always carry spare 9 volt batteries in their pocket or back pack for extended portable operation.

Golly, I'll try anything before I will pay $45 each for crystals!!

EuGene, KA5NLY

David Wilcox

Breadboard Radio of course..... check them out.  I have built a few of their neat kits.  Lots of fun.

Dave K8WPE since 1960

David J. Wilcox’s iPad

On Nov 24, 2020, at 12:01 PM, bigusmith via groups.io <bigusmith@...> wrote:

Casey,

Who will be carrying that kit?  QRPme?  4SQRP?  QRP-ARCI?  etc?

EuGenen Smith
KA5NLY

On Monday, November 23, 2020, 11:00:50 PM CST, Casey via groups.io <kc9ih@...> wrote:

the BreadBoard Radio 60 meter Woodpecker is about to debut. It is not a beginner's kit.

72 de Casey KC9IH / WD9GKA

Bobby Drummond

RE:  programmable crystal IC/chip

I mentioned earlier about a QST article that used one in a 30 meter Whisper transmitter.  (that was the first incidence I remember hearing about them)

I have found the copy that I have. It is the January 2015 QST.  pages 47-50.  The schematic is on page 48.

Unless I am reading the spec sheet wrong for the current version of that chip, the pin out has changed.  The schematic shows the chip to be an 8 pin device but from what I can tell the current version is a 4 pin device.

It appears the device is a programmed (by DigiKey frequency specified by purchaser) Phase Locked Loop.

It appears that it requires 10ms max to "start up" and there is an enable pin.  I think, if I read it correctly, that a logic high = output on, logic low = output off

At a little over 4 dollars a unit (not including shipping) it will be worth ordering in my case and experimenting with.  I would like to see if a logic low/high could be used to "key" the programmable crystal and, if so, what does the waveform look like and how would it sound as a keyed oscillator.

I see that the transmitter in this article is using a 10K resistor to reduce the output level and a .01 uf capacitor for coupling and isolation of the chip into the oscillator input of the Gilbert Cell mixer (SA612)

Sideband (double) generation is performed in the SA612 and later sent to the amplifier stages of the transmitter.

See photo of schematic included below.

AK4JA

On Monday, November 23, 2020, 11:00:50 PM CST, Casey via groups.io <kc9ih=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

the BreadBoard Radio 60 meter Woodpecker is about to debut. It is not a beginner's kit.

72 de Casey KC9IH / WD9GKA

--
73 de AK4JA

Bobby Drummond

For those of you that may have some trouble manipulating image files, here is the same schematic photo as sent earlier but oriented so that one would not have to use software functions to rotate the image for easier viewing.

AK4JA

On Wed, Nov 25, 2020 at 9:52 AM Bobby Drummond via groups.io <alphak4ja=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Bread Board Radio will have the Woodpecker 60 and later the WP40.

www.breadboardradio.com

W4FSV I believe.