Topics

cricket 30

colin humphries

Anyone else had problems with the side-tone being very high pitched? About 1200hz, I have checked the wiring, everything works and the values are correct, but the side-tone is getting close to a dog whistle 😁, thoughts?
De K0LIN

Gwen Patton

My experience is that the antenna tuning can affect the sidetone for some reason.

Gwen, NG3P

--

-+-+-+-+-
Jenny Everywhere's Infinite: Quark Time

Frank Perkins

Dog whistle sidetones?
Well, outside of eating Kibbles and dog biscuits, it seems like I remember a modification published on the Cricket 80 that changed the value of a cap (C-7?).
Another ham installed a variable cap over by the key and ran wires to the cap's previous location pads.
You might look for arrivals on it and compare circuitry to your Cricket 30.
Frank N6CES

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019, 8:20 AM colin humphries <3humps@...> wrote:
Anyone else had problems with the side-tone being very high pitched? About 1200hz, I have checked the wiring, everything works and the values are correct, but the side-tone is getting close to a dog whistle 😁, thoughts?
De K0LIN

Frank Perkins

Dog whistle Cricket.
I found the sidetones mod info.
There first changed C-15 to a 30pf which did well, but later changed it to a variable (anything that tunes 15 to 60 will do). They tore one out of a cheap transistor radio, and mounted it in the battery location. They then soldered two 9v battery clips together, snapped one on the Cricket board clop and the other one onto a battery laying off the board (observe polarity when soldering wires).
Frank

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019, 9:20 AM Frank Perkins via Groups.Io <N6CES.r=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Dog whistle sidetones?
Well, outside of eating Kibbles and dog biscuits, it seems like I remember a modification published on the Cricket 80 that changed the value of a cap (C-7?).
Another ham installed a variable cap over by the key and ran wires to the cap's previous location pads.
You might look for arrivals on it and compare circuitry to your Cricket 30.
Frank N6CES

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019, 8:20 AM colin humphries <3humps@...> wrote:
Anyone else had problems with the side-tone being very high pitched? About 1200hz, I have checked the wiring, everything works and the values are correct, but the side-tone is getting close to a dog whistle 😁, thoughts?
De K0LIN

colin humphries

Thanks guys, I will try and look up the mods later.

Wayne Steury

Yes I thought the cricket did not have an audible pitch with some stations. I modified the C 13 capacitor with a little Variable that helped.

Wayne Steury N9egt

On Dec 3, 2019, at 9:20 AM, colin humphries <3humps@...> wrote:

Anyone else had problems with the side-tone being very high pitched? About 1200hz, I have checked the wiring, everything works and the values are correct, but the side-tone is getting close to a dog whistle 😁, thoughts?
De K0LIN

Wayne Steury

C15

Wayne Steury IPhone

On Dec 3, 2019, at 11:20 AM, Wayne Steury via Groups.Io <waynesteury@...> wrote:

Yes I thought the cricket did not have an audible pitch with some stations. I modified the C 13 capacitor with a little Variable that helped.

<image0.jpeg>

Wayne Steury N9egt

On Dec 3, 2019, at 9:20 AM, colin humphries <3humps@...> wrote:

Anyone else had problems with the side-tone being very high pitched? About 1200hz, I have checked the wiring, everything works and the values are correct, but the side-tone is getting close to a dog whistle 😁, thoughts?
De K0LIN

Ron Edmo

Did anybody who received only one crystal  for the Cricket 30 ever receive the second one? I'm still waiting

Ronald S Edmo KF7JZH

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019, 11:20 Wayne Steury <waynesteury@...> wrote:
Yes I thought the cricket did not have an audible pitch with some stations. I modified the C 13 capacitor with a little Variable that helped.

Wayne Steury N9egt

On Dec 3, 2019, at 9:20 AM, colin humphries <3humps@...> wrote:

Anyone else had problems with the side-tone being very high pitched? About 1200hz, I have checked the wiring, everything works and the values are correct, but the side-tone is getting close to a dog whistle 😁, thoughts?
De K0LIN

AG1P Ron

To those Cricket 30 purchasers awaiting the 10.106 crystals.

I finally received ship confirmation for the crystals. As soon as I receive them, I will package them in envelopes and send them out. Hopefully you will see them within next two weeks depending on crystals’ arrival and Holiday mail volumes.

We want to thank everyone for their patience while we endured this long backorder delay.

72 - Ron - AG1P

4SQRP Volunteer New CricketMaster

4SQRP Volunteer Webmaster

Did anybody who received only one crystal  for the Cricket 30 ever receive the second one? I'm still waiting

Ronald S Edmo KF7JZH

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019, 11:20 Wayne Steury <waynesteury@...> wrote:

Yes I thought the cricket did not have an audible pitch with some stations. I modified the C 13 capacitor with a little Variable that helped.

Wayne Steury N9egt

On Dec 3, 2019, at 9:20 AM, colin humphries <3humps@...> wrote:

Anyone else had problems with the side-tone being very high pitched? About 1200hz, I have checked the wiring, everything works and the values are correct, but the side-tone is getting close to a dog whistle 😁, thoughts?
De K0LIN

Richard AG5M

No, I'm still waiting too. Heard they have arrived, so should be getting one soon.
73, Richard AG5M

On Thursday, December 5, 2019, 6:38:15 AM PST, Ron Edmo <snakedmo5@...> wrote:

Did anybody who received only one crystal  for the Cricket 30 ever receive the second one? I'm still waiting

Ronald S Edmo KF7JZH

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019, 11:20 Wayne Steury <waynesteury@...> wrote:
Yes I thought the cricket did not have an audible pitch with some stations. I modified the C 13 capacitor with a little Variable that helped.

Wayne Steury N9egt

On Dec 3, 2019, at 9:20 AM, colin humphries <3humps@...> wrote:

Anyone else had problems with the side-tone being very high pitched? About 1200hz, I have checked the wiring, everything works and the values are correct, but the side-tone is getting close to a dog whistle 😁, thoughts?
De K0LIN

AG1P Ron

Just an update - As of yesterday, all crystals have been mailed. US purchasers should get them by the end of the week. They will arrive in a #10 envelope from Four State QRP Group. USPS did not know ship times on the DX letters.

If you do not receive your crystal in a reasonable amount of time, please contact me off list - my call at earthlink dot net.

72 - Ron - AG1P

4SQRP Volunteer New CricketMaster

4SQRP Volunteer Webmaster

Did anybody who received only one crystal  for the Cricket 30 ever receive the second one? I'm still waiting

Ronald S Edmo KF7JZH

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019, 11:20 Wayne Steury <waynesteury@...> wrote:

Yes I thought the cricket did not have an audible pitch with some stations. I modified the C 13 capacitor with a little Variable that helped.

Wayne Steury N9egt

On Dec 3, 2019, at 9:20 AM, colin humphries <3humps@...> wrote:

Anyone else had problems with the side-tone being very high pitched? About 1200hz, I have checked the wiring, everything works and the values are correct, but the side-tone is getting close to a dog whistle 😁, thoughts?
De K0LIN

Johnny AC0BQ

Thanks Ron.
We’re treading around in 3-4 inches of snow today.
More expected tonight and tomorrow!
73
Johnny

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com