Last Sunday surprise

Carl Gansen

Just before the sprint on Sunday, I discovered that my 40M vertical would not load and I could not hear  any signals. I ended up using the 160M vertical through the LDG tuner for the sprint.

Last week we had a brief but intense snow squall come through with thunder and lightning.  Today I learned that A lightning strike had blown the coax off. Further down the cable I have a panel with Polyphaser lightning  protection. It kept the lightning from reaching the house

davemrtn

Proof positive they really do work.

Wherever I go, there He is.
Psalms 111:10
Recycle, Reuse, Re-purpose, Repair
Neither Time nor Energy can be Recycled or Reused, don't waste either.

On 12/12/2019 12:13 PM, Carl Gansen wrote:
Just before the sprint on Sunday, I discovered that my 40M vertical would not load and I could not hear  any signals. I ended up using the 160M vertical through the LDG tuner for the sprint.

Last week we had a brief but intense snow squall come through with thunder and lightning.  Today I learned that A lightning strike had blown the coax off. Further down the cable I have a panel with Polyphaser lightning  protection. It kept the lightning from reaching the house

KI5CSC <jaybird101954@...>

If it's the Poly Phaser lightning suppressor I'm familiar with, it is rated for 50,000-volts.

Sent from my superb Samsung Galaxy Tab S4

On Thu, Dec 12, 2019 at 12:13, Carl Gansen
<wb0cff@...> wrote:
Just before the sprint on Sunday, I discovered that my 40M vertical would not load and I could not hear  any signals. I ended up using the 160M vertical through the LDG tuner for the sprint.

Last week we had a brief but intense snow squall come through with thunder and lightning.  Today I learned that A lightning strike had blown the coax off. Further down the cable I have a panel with Polyphaser lightning  protection. It kept the lightning from reaching the house

KI5CSC <jaybird101954@...>

I forgot one thing. Email Poly Phaser and ask them if the Gas Discharge Tube element needs to be replaced.

Sent from my superb Samsung Galaxy Tab S4

<wb0cff@...> wrote:
Just before the sprint on Sunday, I discovered that my 40M vertical would not load and I could not hear  any signals. I ended up using the 160M vertical through the LDG tuner for the sprint.

Last week we had a brief but intense snow squall come through with thunder and lightning.  Today I learned that A lightning strike had blown the coax off. Further down the cable I have a panel with Polyphaser lightning  protection. It kept the lightning from reaching the house

Carl Gansen

I'm assuming  that it does. I know I have the booklet down in my radio room and possibly  a spare insert on the shelf.
My 2nd son is going to help by replacing the cable and I'll make sure we deal with it then. I bought the whole set of lightning protection supplies through DX Engineering.

I installed the current system back in 2012 when the feed line from my 160M got blown and took a lot of good stuff with it.  I lost my Omni 6+, Hercules II amplifier, 100 amp power supply, a handful of older solid state rigs and everything on our computer network (except the printer that I hated...that survived until just after the insurance  settlement).  I learned a couple lessons that time.

Carl Gansen

By the way, I did not have the  antenna connected either time. In the 2012 misadventure, the antenna cable flashed over to the ground rod outside. The electrical inspector  was fairly certain the grounding system got lifted a few hundred volts above true ground until the strike dissipated.