Any suggestions on an audio amp appropriate to Hilltoppers 20&40

W6BOW

Dear All,

I'm currently portable in Summit, NJ, enjoying QSOs far and abroad running 4SQRP's Hilltopper 20.
("Summit" ... "Hilltopper". Savor the irony all those so inclined.)

 What I've discovered ...
  1. This is a terrific rig.
  2. My 69 year old ears are no longer "up to the task".
Any suggestions on a quality audio amp compatible with Hilltoppers (20 and 40)?

Note: Even with my sub-par hearing I've enjoyed QSO's this week with 3 European stations plus a host stateside from Seattle to Houston and in between.

Don   W6BOW/2/QRP

Don, W9EBK

Don,
If you can find one,  Radio Shack used to sell an amplified speaker with DSP. This is one of the handiest things to boost the audio.  I've used mine with my Hilltopper 20, and several other radios.  I've seen them for sale at hamfest for around $20. It's a very handy gadget to have around the ham shack.  The speaker and amp are plenty powerful and the DSP works pretty well on CW but not for voice.
Don, W9EBK

On Fri, Dec 20, 2019, 1:58 PM W6BOW via Groups.Io <DBuckter=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Dear All,

I'm currently portable in Summit, NJ, enjoying QSOs far and abroad running 4SQRP's Hilltopper 20.
("Summit" ... "Hilltopper". Savor the irony all those so inclined.)

 What I've discovered ...
  1. This is a terrific rig.
  2. My 69 year old ears are no longer "up to the task".
Any suggestions on a quality audio amp compatible with Hilltoppers (20 and 40)?

Note: Even with my sub-par hearing I've enjoyed QSO's this week with 3 European stations plus a host stateside from Seattle to Houston and in between.

Don   W6BOW/2/QRP

W6BOW

Don,

What’s “voice”?

Seriously, thanks for the lead.

-.. —- -.

W6BOW

On Dec 20, 2019, at 3:42 PM, Don, W9EBK <donw9ebk@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike, N0SO

I’ve used this amp:
DROK TDA7297 15W+15W Audio Power Amplifier Module AC/DC 9-18V 2.0 Dual Channel Stereo Amp Board, DIY Sound System Component https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C4MT274/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_6yt.DbA8Z2XVE

Looks like they are out of stock at the moment, though.

Mike, N0SO

On Dec 20, 2019, at 1:58 PM, W6BOW via Groups.Io <DBuckter@...> wrote:

Dear All,

I'm currently portable in Summit, NJ, enjoying QSOs far and abroad running 4SQRP's Hilltopper 20.
("Summit" ... "Hilltopper". Savor the irony all those so inclined.)

 What I've discovered ...
  1. This is a terrific rig.
  2. My 69 year old ears are no longer "up to the task".
Any suggestions on a quality audio amp compatible with Hilltoppers (20 and 40)?

Note: Even with my sub-par hearing I've enjoyed QSO's this week with 3 European stations plus a host stateside from Seattle to Houston and in between.

Don   W6BOW/2/QRP

W6BOW

Mike (N0SO),

Yes, it does look like they are out of stock presently. Site links however do provide possible equivalents. Thanks much. Will follow through  in near future with final results and info I hope to be helpful to others.

Respectfully,

Don  W6BOW
SF  CA   USA

On Dec 20, 2019, at 4:08 PM, Mike Heitmann <n0so@...> wrote:

[...]

Bob Parr

What is the model of that dsp speaker?

Bob
KG5GTE

> Don,If you can find one,  Radio Shack used to sell an amplified
> speaker with DSP. This is one of the handiest things to boost the
> audio.  I've used mine with my Hilltopper 20, and several other
> radios.  I've seen them for sale at hamfest for around $20. It's a
> very handy gadget to have around the ham shack.  The speaker and
> amp are plenty powerful and the DSP works pretty well on CW but not
> for voice.
> Don, W9EBK
>

> On Fri, Dec 20, 2019, 1:58 PM W6BOW via Groups.Io
> <DBuckter@...> wrote:
>
>> Dear All,
>>

>> I'm currently portable in Summit, NJ, enjoying QSOs far and
>> abroad running 4SQRP's Hilltopper 20.
>>
>> ("Summit" ... "Hilltopper". Savor the irony all those so
>> inclined.)
>

>> What I've discovered ...
>>
> - This is a terrific rig.
>> - My 69 year old ears are no longer "up to the task".
>>

>> Any suggestions on a quality audio amp compatible with
>> Hilltoppers (20 and 40)?
>

>> Note: Even with my sub-par hearing I've enjoyed QSO's this week
>> with 3 European stations plus a host stateside from Seattle to
>> Houston and in between.
>

>> Don   W6BOW/2/QRP

Don, W9EBK

Radio Shack DSP-40, catalog number 21-543 is the one I have. They also made older models of amplified speakers without the DSP. One model or another was in the Radio Shack line up for several decades.
Don, W9EBK