Topics

Virtual Ozarkcon

John - KK4ITX

This past week I completed my Cricket 30 and a DSO 138 digital Oscilloscope that I picked up maybe 2 years ago .  On Tuesday I received my Crickey and will probably work on it this weekend.  Sorting through my “must have” box I have found several more kits to either finish or start.

Got gas today at $1.739, too bad that there’s no place to go for lunch  !

See you on the air,

John
KK4ITX

Visit:  www.zaarc.org.   👁

On Apr 3, 2020, at 10:40, Virginia R Smith <virginia@...> wrote:

Ha! Love it!  I just got a CricKey in the mail yesterday! Tonight would be the time to build it! Perhaps before that I will see if Uber Eats can bring me a banquet. Tomorrow morning I will practice my would-be presentation in hopes that I can give it for real at a future Hamfest.

I can feed kit scraps to the Boov and watch videos of last year!

Here's to high hopes for Ozarkcon 2021!
72/73
Virginia NV5F

<91502808_752693892151947_1131257955853795328_n.jpg>

Virginia R Smith

Ha! Love it!  I just got a CricKey in the mail yesterday! Tonight would be the time to build it! Perhaps before that I will see if Uber Eats can bring me a banquet. Tomorrow morning I will practice my would-be presentation in hopes that I can give it for real at a future Hamfest.

I can feed kit scraps to the Boov and watch videos of last year!

Here's to high hopes for Ozarkcon 2021!
72/73
Virginia NV5F

Jerry Brown

All,

A little follow-up from 2014 Ozarkcon....Ozarkcon is also a place with great memories.....

A few years back (2014) I was given the privilege of sharing with Ozarkcon attendees my
experiences hamming in Iraqi Kurdistan. My wife and I volunteering there teaching in a high school
loosely sponsored by churches in US. My wife was also the school nurse. This was
2011-2012, the year after I retired from the US Army Medical Corps were i was a nuclear
medicine physical and diagnostic radiologist.

One of my students for algebra one was Abudllah. This is where the story continues....

Abdullah is now a senior physics major at the University of Pennsylvania! He is just one  of many
reasonsour time teaching there was the most amazing year of all the years
Angie and have been married (since 1978). Abdullah just spent his second spring break with us.
His full scholarship as a University of Pennsylvania President's World Scholar is worth $82 K this year.
I value his friendship more than you can imagine and i sense the feeling is mutual.

Abdullah's resume is something to behold for a 22 year old from Baghdad!

73,

Jerry N4EO, ex-YI9EO and Angie KH6EO, ex-YI9AB

Michael Fletcher

Don,
Can I copy this text and post to the Amateur QRP Radio Facebook group?
I’ll be listening around 40 and 20 meter QRP calling frequencies to see if anyone is mentioning OZARKCON.
73,
Mike KL7IXI

On Apr 3, 2020, at 08:07, Don, W9EBK <donw9ebk@...> wrote:

Greetings 4-State QRPers,

I am thrilled to be arriving at my Virtual Ozarkcon 2020 this morning. N9HHE and I are getting pretty good at this Virtual Travel thing. Last month we were scheduled to go to North Carolina to meet our new Great Nephew and Great Niece. They were born to our Nephews’ wives on December 4 and January 4. Since we couldn’t go see them in person due to travel restrictions we did a Virtual visit with Moms and Dads sending us pictures and loving on them for us. We promised to make it to North Carolina to see them before they graduate High School.

I decided I wouldn’t let current restrictions totally cancel my Ozarkcon 2020. Just like we did with North Carolina, I’m doing a virtual Ozarkcon this weekend. I would normally stop at Grizzly Tool in Springfield, MO on the way to Branson. Instead I called them and ordered a new metal brake so I can make better enclosures and brackets for my radios.

In the spirit of the Build-a-thon I got into my tub of unbuilt kits and discovered I have 10 kits waiting for me to apply the soldering iron to them. I have a Cricket 80 and a Low Pass Filter kit that I won at Ozarkcon 2 years ago. They both might get built this weekend since I have time to do an extended Build-a-thon session. I say “might” because among my unbuilt kits I found an unlabeled Chinese kit that includes a 4-segment display. It must be a signal generator or a test set of some sort. I don’t remember ordering it and have no idea what it is. I’m considering building it just to see what it does when I’m done.

I figure a YouTube video or 2 will have to suffice for the conference portion of Ozarkcon. As for the banquet, we can cook something for ourselves. We just won’t be able to meet interesting people over dinner.

I may even give the Dummyload QSO party a try. In this case the dummy load will be 66 feet of wire strung up outside, and QSL cards will be via LOTW or U.S. mail instead of in person in the hotel.

And that hidden oscillator hunt that takes place at Ozarkcon; maybe this will be a good time to track down that noise source that gives me an S7 noise level most nights.

I’m sure Virtual Ozarkcon 2020 will not be as good as the real thing but we'll made due. As Teddy Roosevelt said, “Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.”

I hope to see everyone in 2021.

Stay safe,

Don, W9EBK

W9QS

Wonderful idea.  My XYL and I will be tossing a dinner roll back and forth tomorrow night in honor of our favorite restaurant in Branson.

On Friday, April 3, 2020, 8:07 AM, Don, W9EBK <donw9ebk@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike Malone

Very cool!  Optimism runneth amuck over there!

Mike KD5KXF