From: main@4SQRP.groups.io <main@4SQRP.groups.io> on behalf of Johnny Matlock <jomatlock@...>
Sent: Saturday, April 18, 2020 10:08 AM
To: main@4sqrp.groups.io <main@4sqrp.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] Nouveau 75A PTT

Well
That didn't work too well?
I heard sigs on 3875 about 8:30 and by 9:30 they were gone.
Bert and I are about 40 miles apart and you could just hear something on 3.730, not enough to copy.

We can try again late this evening, signals might be better?
Say around 8:00 pm CDST?

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 8:07 AM ohwenzelph via groups.io <Ohwenzelph=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I am in New England and it seems that as the morning goes on, the signals get weaker and the noise gets louder.

Don’ know but......  I think I might do better if we try QRP AM in the PM.

Probably the 3.730 - 3.740 region would be a good area to try.

What do you all, (especially near me!) think would be a good time?

Got a barefoot Nouveau 75A running off 13.8v to an end fed half wave to a bush to a tree, not exactly straight to a couple of not too tall trees. Probably about 30G stranded wire picked up from a ham fest.
 I use WebSDR on line as a sort of pan adapter to spot AM carriers but the nearest station they have that I can listen to/watch is in Pennsylvania. Earlier this morning I could see my carrier really faintly (but hear nothing) and now at 9am can see nothing at all there, coming from my station.

73
jerry aa1of
franconia nh

w9ran

Just thought I'd throw out an invitation for any and all Nouveau 75ers to join the Midwest Classic Radio Net on 3885 Saturday mornings starting at 7:30AM Central time.   Most of the stations are in the IL-WI-MI area but one regular from St. Louis gets in with a barefoot Ranger, and with the screwy band condition we've been having - who knows?    I usually run low power gear like the Ameco TX-86 today but my Knight T-60, 2 and 6 watt homebrews, and other QRP AM rigs have been heard all over the midwest.    I usually turn on the little sweep tube amp when I check in with the Nouveau 75 and then make my transmission with it off when I know I have a clear frequency.   When band conditions are decent I've had good S9 reports or better out to 300 miles or so using my Matchbox-fed dipole.    Some guys won't get on AM without having a linear fired up,  so I hope this shows that you don't always need to be running power to have fun on AM!

You can find the schematic for the converted CB sweep tube amp on my webpage:  https://tinyurl.com/w5saw83    It would be a good homebrew project if you can scrounge up a suitable HV transformer or have something like an HP-23 supply sitting around.

If anyone wants to specifically try to check into the MCRN, drop me an email and I'll let the net manager know so the NCS can keep an ear peeled or take a special standby for you.

73, Bob W9RAN

Johnny AC0BQ

Cool, Will
At least you guys had some local fun!
We will stay after it, surely we can find
A good time to hear signals.
72
Johnny

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 10:43 AM K0WDO Will Osborn via groups.io <K0WDO=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I was on 3730 calling at 9am. Never heard you Johnny but I picked up K0HGP again, and then Rex came in strong a bit later. I’m vertical.
A few guys on horizontal wires were not having any luck around here.

I did work Larry AB0AH though !

73, Will
K0WDO

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

K0WDO Will Osborn

[...]

Timothy East

Ok

On Apr 18, 2020, at 10:09, Johnny Matlock <jomatlock@...> wrote:

[...]

ohwenzelph

[...]

OK. If it goes to monthly, I hope its not always the 3rd Saturday.

Thanks Johnny

On Apr 17, 2020, at 11:55 AM, Johnny Matlock <jomatlock@...> wrote:

We’re not sure how often it will be Tim?
We can shoot for every Saturday?

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 9:08 AM Timothy East <Timothyeast@...> wrote:
Well, I will have to miss the first one.  Our HAM club meets the third Saturday morning at 0900.
With COVID-19, we are meeting on the Emporia repeater. 146.985.

Next time. Every Saturday on this N-75 group or once a month?

Tim
K0EMP

On Apr 17, 2020, at 9:05 AM, Johnny Matlock <jomatlock@...> wrote:

Ok guys
Say 9:00 am CDST time tomorrow morning?
What freq, 3730? 3740 if 3730 is busy?
Let me know what you think?

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 9:02 AM K0WDO Will Osborn via groups.io <K0WDO=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Count me in on this Johnny!

73, Will
K0WDO

On Apr 17, 2020, at 8:33 AM, Johnny Matlock <jomatlock@...> wrote:

Congrats Will!
Good going on ur contact.

Well guys, maybe we need to set up a Saturday morning coffee club??
 I have my original sitting on the desk.

Stay Safe!

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020 at 8:25 AM K0WDO Will Osborn via groups.io <K0WDO=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I made my first contact on the N75a to Stan, K0HGP in MN, 507 miles from me here in Kansas. I’m tickled pink!

Rex thanks for the tip on this! I hopped on 3730 this morning and heard quite a few fellows, you were just a hair below my noise level with QSB but could make you out about half the time.

Regarding the receiver side, I’ve noticed mine is very sensitive also. Really enjoying the new rig.

73, Will
K0WDO

On Apr 16, 2020, at 11:49 PM, Rex K0KP <rex@...> wrote:

Approximately 7:30AM Central Time on 3730 KHz, nice round table includes stations from MN, IA, and WI.  All welcome.

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

K0WDO Will Osborn

That’s great Mark! Good luck on the build and I look forward to working you on AM.

I very much appreciate the report! Glad I made it to Iowa.

73, Will
K0WDO

On Apr 17, 2020, at 10:29 AM, Mark Hansen <popsthepaddler@...> wrote:

Will - I copied you this morning on my Realistic DX-160 receiver in NE Iowa. High noise level here for some reason.
I am building a Nouveau 75A....   73

Mark WA0RXR

On Fri, Apr 17, 2020, at 8:25 AM, K0WDO Will Osborn via groups.io wrote:
I made my first contact on the N75a to Stan, K0HGP in MN, 507 miles from me here in Kansas. I’m tickled pink!

Rex thanks for the tip on this! I hopped on 3730 this morning and heard quite a few fellows, you were just a hair below my noise level with QSB but could make you out about half the time.

Regarding the receiver side, I’ve noticed mine is very sensitive also. Really enjoying the new rig.

73, Will
K0WDO

On Apr 16, 2020, at 11:49 PM, Rex K0KP <rex@...> wrote:
Approximately 7:30AM Central Time on 3730 KHz, nice round table includes stations from MN, IA, and WI.  All welcome.

Mark Hansen

[...]

Tomorrow, Saturday morning 9AM Central for the coffee club on 3730, sounds good I’ll be there!

73, Will
K0WDO

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com

KG0DQ

Thanks Rex for the information. I listened this morning and heard Will K0WDO he was Q5 here in mid western Iowa. It is interesting that most everyone had an N75 available, Will was the only one I heard using one. Did not hear you on at all. It was said you were using an amp. Condition and my location. Hope to get my microphone working properly for tomorrow.
73 KG0DQ

Timothy East

Check out the 4SQRP website at 4sqrp.com