Topics

Ozark Patrol Tuning adjustment question

dualraoul

On Sun, Apr 26, 2020 at 05:17 PM, Jerome Wysocki wrote:
I don't know if anything got salvaged from the Ozark Patrol group on Yahoo
All the old Yahoo Ozark Patrol information, and more, is in the sub groups category available in the left hand pane.

Ron K0IDT

Jerome Wysocki

Hi Curt,

Sounds like you got it fixed, Great! I don't know if anything got salvaged from the Ozark Patrol group on Yahoo (I couldn't get anything there) so I am wondering if maybe a separate thread should be started for Mods on this receiver. I think this receiver has good potential for a QRP station, suitably matched with a transmitter. I had no luck further fixing my problem of controllable regeneration on 40 meters, but I will start playing around more with it. Since I got it right on 75 and 80 meters, I think I will eventually stumble on more stable regeneration control on 40 meters (as I previously posted about.)

73s, Jerry Wysocki, KC9JXE

Curt

A 10-50 pF trimmer did the trick.  Now pretty close to 5-12Mhz on the upper band.  Lost 20M, but still have 40 n 30.  Thanks,

Curt KB5JO

Curt

Ok, since the 560 pF cap isn't in the circuit for the 5-12 MHz scale, assumes this means need to add some capacitance in parallel with the capacitor to bring the top frequency down.  QSL the trimmer, but I thought that was what the trimmers on the back of the variable capacitor were for, to adjust the tracking of the tuning.  Adjusting these makes no difference for me.

For the 1.6 uH tank, the maximum frequency now is about 15.5 MHz which implies a capacitance of 70pF.  At 12 MHz implied capacitance is 110pF.  So, I assume putting a 40 pF cap in parallel with the tank will get the tuning to track the dial markings?  I think I have a 50 pF trimmer and will give that a try.

Thanks,

Curt KB5JO

Tom Denton

Back to the original question. When I asked Russ Ramirez this same question he replied:

Typically to get a dial on a receiver, signal generator, etc. you have an adjustable coil for the low-end of the band in question and a variable cap for the high end. In this case, the inductance is fixed and yes, the 560 pf capacitor can probably be increased a little to bring things in line. A 680 pf cap may not be excessive, but if it is, then another cap in parallel will be additive. If you happen to have a small trimmer cap to solder in parallel, that would be a good way to dial things in.

I posted this earlier but cutoff Russ' reply.

Tom
w9kkq

Tom Sevart

On 4/22/2020 16:25, W5ESE wrote:
They still do; although now it's assessed on television sets. It originally was assessed on radio receivers.
https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/dec/16/qa-how-the-bbc-is-funded-by-tv-licences
They're considering abolishing it; as some feel the BBC has become increasingly biased.
When I was over there serving with the USAF, in the summer of 1993 we had the last Friendship Fete that I attended on our base since I left at the end of that summer. They had a TV detector van on display and a guy showed me how the equipment worked. Basically they had a spectrum analyzer display inside the van and really not much else. There were antennas installed on each corner of the roof of the van, which IIRC consisted of a small horizontal dipole in front of a reflecting screen.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

W5ESE

They still do; although now it's assessed on television sets. It originally was assessed on radio receivers.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2019/dec/16/qa-how-the-bbc-is-funded-by-tv-licences

They're considering abolishing it; as some feel the BBC has become increasingly biased.

Lee Bahr

The Paraset was only issued to agents in rural locations because of the regenerative signal.  Even then it was dangerous to be using one.

Lee, w0vt

On 4/22/2020 9:43 AM, Curt via groups.io wrote:
"I believe with the 560 pF capacitor switched in the circuit, to parallel it to c1 (the 365 pF variable tuning capacitor) you are on the higher frequency band, and when c11 is not in parallel with c1, you are tuning the lower frequency band. (I hope my logic isn't reversed here.)"

To clarify, with the 560 pF switched into the circuit, the resonant frequency of the circuit with the 1.6 uH tank, will be about 3.7 MHz.  With it switched out, the frequency will be about 7 MHz.  I listen to the oscillator in another receiver to find where the Ozark is tuned.

I have read that the Paraset regenerative receivers used by resistance in WW2 put out strong signals from their oscillators that Gestapo used to locate the clandestine radios.  The operators had to limit their time listening to decrease possibility of being detected ( and executed ).

Curt KB5JO

John Nicholas

War time Restrictions.    Owning and listening was not the real issue.  It was owning and listening to Nazi broadcasts as a cover for spying.   Finding an unlicensed  receiver, might uncover a transmitter used for spying.

John Nicholas
KE0ZUW

On Apr 22, 2020, at 12:39 PM, Curt via groups.io <rhulett1@...> wrote:

So the British actually charged people a fee to LISTEN to a radio??!!  Wonder how their DF vans would have dealt with a crystal set.  Maybe if caught with a 1N34A or Oatmeal box wound with wire in the house the bobbies would put the cuffs on :-o

W6BOW

Jerome,

Fascinatin' stuff. Thank you for sharing.

Don    W6BOW

I heard the same story about radiation from the regenerative Paraset receivers, and how they could be tracked down with direction finding radio receivers. So I fired up one of my experimental regenerative radios, but only used about 32 volts for the detector B+. It regenerated fine so I took a small portable hand held short wave radio with me for a walk around the neighborhood. With the set in my house still oscillating, I could pick up its radiated signal for at least several hundred feet away from my house. Imagine the range I could have gotten if I increased to detector B+ up to around 250 volts or so, typically to what a regenerative Paraset radio would be operating with. No wonder they were careful to minimize listening time!

Jerome Wysocki

[...]

When I asked this question of Russ Ramirez, this was his reply:

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019, 5:11 PM Russ Ramirez <russ.ramirez@...> wrote:
Typically to get a dial on a receiver, signal generator, etc. you have an adjustable coil for the low-end of the band in question and a variable cap for the high end. In this case, the inductance is fixed and yes, the 560 pf capacitor can probably be increased a little to bring things in line. A 680 pf cap may not be excessive, but if it is, then another cap in parallel will be additive. If you happen to have a small trimmer cap to solder in parallel, that would be a good way to dial things in.

Frank Perkins

No Gwen,
Those British vans are searching for tea &  crumpet shops!    :-)
Frank N6CES

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020, 9:32 AM Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...> wrote:
Perhaps our British members might be able to verify if this is how the BBC's roving radio detection vans would locate people who hadn't paid their radio license fees? I've seen pictures of these vans, with DF loops on them, to sniff out scofflaws, and I wonder if that's what they were designed to detect.

73,
Gwen, NG3P

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 10:43 AM Curt via groups.io <rhulett1=consolidated.net@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

-+-+-+-+-
Jenny Everywhere's Infinite: Quark Time
http://quarktime.net

w9ran

On 4/22/2020 11:32 AM, Gwen Patton wrote:
Perhaps our British members might be able to verify if this is how the BBC's roving radio detection vans would locate people who hadn't paid their radio license fees? I've seen pictures of these vans, with DF loops on them, to sniff out scofflaws, and I wonder if that's what they were designed to detect.
Not since 1971: https://www.sixtiescity.net/Television/Licences.htm

I suspect by then there were few if any regens still in use,  but while radio licenses were required those vans did try to DF the weak radiation from local oscillators in superhet receivers in an attempt to find unlicensed receivers.   Had to be unrewarding work ;-)

73, Bob W9RAN

Gwen Patton

[...]

Timothy East

I was very happy to see the mods for the Murania kit to really improve its performance.
Is there a list of mods that I can use to improve my OZark Patrol?

Tim
K0EMP

On Apr 21, 2020, at 19:00, Jerome Wysocki <jeromewysocki48@...> wrote:

Thanks, Curt. Your audio files sound just like my receiver does on 80 and 75 meters, but only after the addition of the 10 ohm resistor to the one turn feedback coil going through the center of the torroid coil, as I described it. Mine does not like long antennas, so I use a 30 foot longwire. Furthermore, I substituted a small adjustable trimmer capacitor to replace the gimmick capacitor in the original design. This allows me to better control the input from possible overload by reducing the coupling with the antenna. Adjusting that trimmer helped me do precisely that.

I tried substituting a 2N2222 for the original detector transistor, but found nothing really significantly different in receiver performance with either one. All resistors were within spec when I tested them, prior to installation. Maybe some critical capacitors surrounding the detector transistor are marginal, relative to their specs, and are just off enough to cause the problem I am having. (I carefully observed that no mistakes were made in part identifications, prior to soldering them into place.) No solder bridges or cold joints were observed either, as far as I can see. Voltages appear normal.

Thanks again, Curt. I'm sure I'm missing something simple, and I'll probably kick myself when I find it 🙂. Meanwhile, it works really well on cw and ssb on 80 and 75 meters, and is good enough for a QRP cw receiver on that band.

... Jerry Wysocki, KC9JXE

Jerome Wysocki

[...]

Here is what it sounds like on 40M: