Topics

Bayou Jumper, Still lots of fun!

Timothy East

If you good Radio Shack in Derby Kansas, they sell used and some new HAM gear.  There is an assembled BJ there for sale.

Tim

On May 10, 2020, at 1:09 AM, Dr. Skip Amis <n5cfm@...> wrote:

ANYONE WITH A BAYOU JUMPER THEY WISH TO PART WITH ???   IF SO PLEASE POST ME - DEAD OR ALIVE; PREFERABLY WORKING.... I TRULY
APPRECIATE YOUR TIME AND HELP - REASON BEING FOR WANTING AN ASSEMBLED UNIT IS; THAT MY EYESIGHT IS FAILING RAPIDLY AS A RESULT OF AGENT ORANGE EXPOSURE DECADES AGO...

TNX AGN - SKIP/ N5CFM

"If you are able to read this, thank a teacher;
  while it is still in English, thank a veteran!"
  May God bless - 
  Dr. Skip Amis, N5CFM, NV5V; PhD, DMin, DDiv, MDiv.
         < ' )))>< Proudly serving those who serve since 1973.
 U.S. Navy,1965-'66; U.S. Merchant Marines,1973-'79.  

From: main@4SQRP.groups.io <main@4SQRP.groups.io> on behalf of Graham J Smith G4NMD <gjsmith@...>
Sent: Friday, May 8, 2020 12:19 PM
To: main@4sqrp.groups.io <main@4sqrp.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] Bayou Jumper, Still lots of fun!

Well what a coincidence... I built the one I had lying around today... in honour of VE Day... trst later/ tomorrow 

Graham G4NMD 

Dr. Skip Amis

ANYONE WITH A BAYOU JUMPER THEY WISH TO PART WITH ???   IF SO PLEASE POST ME - DEAD OR ALIVE; PREFERABLY WORKING.... I TRULY
APPRECIATE YOUR TIME AND HELP - REASON BEING FOR WANTING AN ASSEMBLED UNIT IS; THAT MY EYESIGHT IS FAILING RAPIDLY AS A RESULT OF AGENT ORANGE EXPOSURE DECADES AGO...

TNX AGN - SKIP/ N5CFM

"If you are able to read this, thank a teacher;
  while it is still in English, thank a veteran!"
  May God bless -
  Dr. Skip Amis, N5CFM, NV5V; PhD, DMin, DDiv, MDiv.
         < ' )))>< Proudly serving those who serve since 1973.
 U.S. Navy,1965-'66; U.S. Merchant Marines,1973-'79.  

From: main@4SQRP.groups.io <main@4SQRP.groups.io> on behalf of Graham J Smith G4NMD <gjsmith@...>
Sent: Friday, May 8, 2020 12:19 PM
To: main@4sqrp.groups.io <main@4sqrp.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [4SQRP] Bayou Jumper, Still lots of fun!

Well what a coincidence... I built the one I had lying around today... in honour of VE Day... trst later/ tomorrow

Graham G4NMD

KJ4DHI

If any of you guys would like to sell your Bayou Jumper please let me know. I'm 75 and was first licensed in 1955. I have this urge to try once more around the block. BTW, I would buy more than one. Your turn.

On Fri, May 8, 2020 at 3:50 PM Timothy East <Timothyeast@...> wrote:
I’ve got two of the BJs.  One is built and the other (Green panel) is not yet built.  I have purchased and built two souper uppers but have not yet installed either.

Thinking about getting them out and going again.

Tim
K0EMP

On May 8, 2020, at 1:20 PM, Dale Holloway, K4EQ <daleholloway@...> wrote:

I'm with you Peter. The BJ is a fun little radio. I get nostalgic every time I put it on the air and feel like a kid with my Novice ticket. I guess it's being crystal controlled. It's always on my operating desk but I haven't used it for several months. You motivated me to get out the battery and put it on the air. Now if I could just sign de KN8WHB one more time . . . .

Dale Holloway, K4EQ
www.k4eq.net

Timothy East

I’ve got two of the BJs.  One is built and the other (Green panel) is not yet built.  I have purchased and built two souper uppers but have not yet installed either.

Thinking about getting them out and going again.

Tim
K0EMP

On May 8, 2020, at 1:20 PM, Dale Holloway, K4EQ <daleholloway@...> wrote:

I'm with you Peter. The BJ is a fun little radio. I get nostalgic every time I put it on the air and feel like a kid with my Novice ticket. I guess it's being crystal controlled. It's always on my operating desk but I haven't used it for several months. You motivated me to get out the battery and put it on the air. Now if I could just sign de KN8WHB one more time . . . .

Dale Holloway, K4EQ
www.k4eq.net

Dale Holloway, K4EQ

Dale Holloway, K4EQ
www.k4eq.net

Graham J Smith G4NMD

Graham G4NMD

Jess Gypin

I got mine out again recently. Gobs if fun. I added a solid state switch for a keyer. Had installed the Soup’r Upper and didn’t really like it. I guess I should sell it to someone who would be able to use it. Still my favorite QRP radio.

Jess AE0CW

On May 8, 2020, at 10:35 AM, Peter AA2VG <Petersdeluca@...> wrote:

My original Bayou Jumper is still going strong. In fact with the addition of some simple peripherals it works better than ever.
I have the basic model without the super upper kit. The only internal modification was the addition of a keyer transistor (TIP42G AFE30) so that I am able to use an external keyer. The other peripherals that made a huge difference were.
1. An old headset (Koss SB.10)  that is able to hear the very low audio frequency which keeps the null between my upper and lower side band very small.
2. Zero beating my crystal tx freq was always difficult as I would need to disconnect the antenna and put my crystal across the antenna port to hear the clicking sweet spot. One day I decided to use my old Whiterook keyer Model MK-60 on straight key mode with a straight key. To my amazement I could hear a loud signal with key down in the receive mode. This loud tone was exactly zero beating my TX frequency revealing both upper and lower side bands. No need to remove the antenna to find the RX dial spot (frequency).
3. The VFO is sensitive with small moves since I don't have the Super Upper fine dial VFO. I have found that if I hear a caller coming back to my CQ adjusting the Regen dial enables my to find a nice listening frequency with only rarely having to adjust the VFO.
4. I run on battery power to an MFJ portable tuner MFJ-971 to a Carolina Windom up 45 feet. 

If your BJ has been collecting dust, perhaps the above suggestions may help. I am still having a blast with mine.
--
Peter S. DeLuca  "Her Majesty's Secret Service" Agent 033
AA2VG

My original Bayou Jumper is still going strong. In fact with the addition of some simple peripherals it works better than ever.
I have the basic model without the super upper kit. The only internal modification was the addition of a keyer transistor (TIP42G AFE30) so that I am able to use an external keyer. The other peripherals that made a huge difference were.
1. An old headset (Koss SB.10)  that is able to hear the very low audio frequency which keeps the null between my upper and lower side band very small.
2. Zero beating my crystal tx freq was always difficult as I would need to disconnect the antenna and put my crystal across the antenna port to hear the clicking sweet spot. One day I decided to use my old Whiterook keyer Model MK-60 on straight key mode with a straight key. To my amazement I could hear a loud signal with key down in the receive mode. This loud tone was exactly zero beating my TX frequency revealing both upper and lower side bands. No need to remove the antenna to find the RX dial spot (frequency).
3. The VFO is sensitive with small moves since I don't have the Super Upper fine dial VFO. I have found that if I hear a caller coming back to my CQ adjusting the Regen dial enables my to find a nice listening frequency with only rarely having to adjust the VFO.
4. I run on battery power to an MFJ portable tuner MFJ-971 to a Carolina Windom up 45 feet. 

If your BJ has been collecting dust, perhaps the above suggestions may help. I am still having a blast with mine.
--
Peter S. DeLuca  "Her Majesty's Secret Service" Agent 033
AA2VG