Topics

Portable In Iowa

WA0ITP

I'm set up at my daughter's house in Solon. I worked KI4DNY Matt in NC and K4BAI John in GA tonight on 40M. Planning to be here until Sunday afternoon and hoping to make lots of contacts on 40 and 20. I'll post on QRPspots.com.

Oh - expecting 6" of snow tmrrow aft or evening. Glad to be /P inside.

72 Terry WAØITP

Martin

Hi Terry. What is your antenna? I'm at my daughter's IN SE Michigan wtth my Ten Tec S4020 this week. Had 2 short 20m QSOs using a homebrew Pac-12 like antenna. Hears well but QSOs come hard.

72, Martin K0BXB

Sent from Samsung tablet

wa0itp@... wrote:

I'm set up at my daughter's house in Solon. I worked KI4DNY Matt in NC and K4BAI John in GA tonight on 40M. Planning to be here until Sunday afternoon and hoping to make lots of contacts on 40 and 20. I'll post on QRPspots.com.

Oh - expecting 6" of snow tmrrow aft or evening. Glad to be /P inside.

72 Terry WAØITP

Paul Smith

Hello Terry,
Good u made it safe it was 65 degrees at the steak feed picnic last nite.... I am wondering how far north we will make it tomorrow... If we have to we will get a room and wait a day or so.
Hope to work u this weekend de Paul
Sent from my iPad

On Feb 20, 2013, at 9:43 PM, wa0itp@... wrote:

I'm set up at my daughter's house in Solon. I worked KI4DNY Matt in NC and K4BAI John in GA tonight on 40M. Planning to be here until Sunday afternoon and hoping to make lots of contacts on 40 and 20. I'll post on QRPspots.com.

Oh - expecting 6" of snow tmrrow aft or evening. Glad to be /P inside.

72 Terry WAØITP

Phil Anderson

Hey Terry,

"They" are projecting 18 inches "down here." Uncle Phil.

We'll look for ya on 40.

I'm set up at my daughter's house in Solon. I worked KI4DNY Matt in NC and K4BAI John in GA tonight on 40M. Planning to be here until Sunday afternoon and hoping to make lots of contacts on 40 and 20. I'll post on QRPspots.com.

Oh - expecting 6" of snow tmrrow aft or evening. Glad to be /P inside.

72 Terry WAØITP

Jim Sheldon

We just got done digging the driveway out from under 11" total so far.  I can't shovel snow with my pacemaker, so the wife went out and started.  New neighbors two houses down from us made a deal with her.  Watch their 2 year old daughter and they'd shovel the driveway.  This young lady ain't your typical two-year old, very happy and well behaved.  Fascinated by morse code and she wanted to come in the shack and sit listening to that rather than watching cartoons on TV.  Not quite sure yet what her parents are going to make of that - LOL.

Jim - W0EB

> "They" are projecting 18 inches "down here." Uncle
> Phil.
>
> We'll look for ya on 40.

Jerry Haigwood <jerry@...>

Jim,

    Continue to encourage this young lady.  We have to start them young before they discover cell phones.

Jerry W5JH

We just got done digging the driveway out from under 11" total so far.  I can't shovel snow with my pacemaker, so the wife went out and started.  New neighbors two houses down from us made a deal with her.  Watch their 2 year old daughter and they'd shovel the driveway.  This young lady ain't your typical two-year old, very happy and well behaved.  Fascinated by morse code and she wanted to come in the shack and sit listening to that rather than watching cartoons on TV.  Not quite sure yet what her parents are going to make of that - LOL.

Jim - W0EB

> "They" are projecting 18 inches "down here." Uncle

> Phil.

> We'll look for ya on 40.

David Martin <davemrtn@...>

Was she copying 100 % and helping you set the adjustments on your radio ???  hi hi

--
David Martin - K5DCM ---o0o---
Mountain Home, Arkansas

Jim Sheldon

Yeah Jerry,
Her dad said that was the first time she had ever gone to a total stranger's place and not been fussy.  We did volunteer to serve as babysitters anytime we were available and they needed someone to watch her.  Don't have any grandkids, so might be nice to wind up with a surrogate one.

Unfortunately she HAS already discovered cell phones!  One of the toys they brought along for her to play with was a toy cell phone!  She didn't pay any attention to it after she discovered CW though, so there IS hope after all.

Jim

* On 2013 21 Feb 10:20 -0600, Jerry Haigwood wrote:
Jim,

Continue to encourage this young lady. We have to start them
young before they discover cell phones.
Naw, mobile devices, nee cell phones, aren't the problem. The real
problem is kids being taught that there is a bogeyman behind every bush.
Naturally, they shy away from any activity that involves "talking to
strangers" as a result of such training. What one does on a mobile
device is mostly orthogonal to what is done on amateur radio, IMHO. The
only thing they compete for is time, otherwise, no competition at all.

72, de Nate >>

P.S. Barely 2" here. Drought central...

Jim Sheldon

Don't know about the copying, but she didn't even try to grab the key or anything.  Just sat there listening and not being a stereotypical "terrible two year old".

> Was she copying 100 % and helping you
> set the adjustments on your radio ???  hi hi
>

> On 02/21/2013 10:07 AM, Jim Sheldon wrote:

Wayne Dillon

Jim,
Ah, the rhythmic music of the code, what a sweet enchantment it weaves.... Keep her coming to the shack and she'll be hooked. By the way, better to shovel snow with a shovel than a pacemaker :)
By the way, that small power supply I got from you is an absolute jem, Thanks again.
72/3 es God Bless de Wayne - KC0PMH

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 10:31 AM, Jim Sheldon <w0eb@...> wrote:

Yeah Jerry,
Her dad said that was the first time she had ever gone to a total stranger's place and not been fussy.  We did volunteer to serve as babysitters anytime we were available and they needed someone to watch her.  Don't have any grandkids, so might be nice to wind up with a surrogate one.

Unfortunately she HAS already discovered cell phones!  One of the toys they brought along for her to play with was a toy cell phone!  She didn't pay any attention to it after she discovered CW though, so there IS hope after all.

Jim

> Jim,
>
>   Continue to encourage this young lady.  We have to start them
> young before they discover cell phones.
>
> Jerry W5JH
>
> "building something without experimenting is just solder practice"
>

> Behalf Of Jim Sheldon Sent: Thursday, February 21, 2013 10:07 AM
> To: 4sqrp@... Subject: Re: [4sqrp] Portable In Iowa
>

> We just got done digging the driveway out from under 11" total so
> far.  I can't shovel snow with my pacemaker, so the wife went out
> and started.  New neighbors two houses down from us made a deal
> with her.  Watch their 2 year old daughter and they'd shovel the
> driveway.  This young lady ain't your typical two-year old, very
> happy and well behaved.  Fascinated by morse code and she wanted to
> come in the shack and sit listening to that rather than watching
> cartoons on TV.  Not quite sure yet what her parents are going to
> make of that - LOL.
>

> Jim - W0EB
>

>> "They" are projecting 18 inches "down here." Uncle
>>

>> Phil.
>

>> We'll look for ya on 40.

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER.

The Lord bless you and keep you

God Bless from Wayne Dillon - KC0PMH

Joshua 24:14-15
2 Cor 5:17
1 Jn 2:17

4 State QRP Group NCS - 40m & 160m
4SQRP #95
FPQRP #342 (Flying Pigs QRP Club)
G-QRP-C #11504
NAQCC # 0759
QRP-ARCI #11505
SKCC #1155
SOC #848
30MDG#1176
NEQRP #693
GORC #192

Alex K.

Terry,
From what I hear and see on the Wx channel you may be at ur daughters house a mite longer !!!!!
Alex K5UNY

--- In 4sqrp@..., wa0itp@... wrote:

I'm set up at my daughter's house in Solon. I worked KI4DNY Matt in NC and K4BAI John in GA tonight on 40M. Planning to be here until Sunday afternoon and hoping to make lots of contacts on 40 and 20. I'll post on QRPspots.com.

Oh - expecting 6" of snow tmrrow aft or evening. Glad to be /P inside.

72 Terry WAØITP

GB Hoyt

I have no idea what u guys are talking about, wx hr is great, highs in the 80s, lows in the upper 50s, so yeah, at night tis a lil cool.
Re kids and CW.
Only app my kids like on my phone is the CW app, cuz it's a "game"
73 and stay warm!
GB Hoyt
KG4GVL
Lakeland, FL

N8VCL

Terry's out there now calling CQ on 7030.7

Scott

On Thu, Feb 21, 2013 at 1:41 PM, GB Hoyt <qrprat77@...> wrote:

I have no idea what u guys are talking about, wx hr is great, highs in the 80s, lows in the upper 50s, so yeah, at night tis a lil cool.
Re kids and CW.
Only app my kids like on my phone is the CW app, cuz it's a "game"
73 and stay warm!
GB Hoyt
KG4GVL
Lakeland, FL

--
FP #930 / Pig Rig #118 (unbuilt)
SKCC #3083

Phil Anderson

Can't hear him (Terry), just worked VIC, W9RGB on 7023. Unc Phil, W0XI