Topics

Multi-Freq Pig Rig

Bill Cromwell

On Mon, 2013-03-11 at 19:41 -0700, casey kerchner wrote:

While using a switch is pretty much out, has anyone given thought to
adding an IC Socket and mounting the Rocks on a DIP Plug (or header)?
Then it should be quick and easy to change frequency. And it they were
plugged in backwards, it would not matter. Or go to a 16 pin DIP, with
one side for the 7.031 Xtals and the other side for 7122, just reverse
the plug to change freq. Just a thought.

73 de Keith ~ KC9IH ~ in Northern IL

~ ex-WD9GKA ~ ex-WB9HCL ~ ex-K9UCF
10-X 38221, SKCC 9396, NAQCC 6165,
QRP ARCI 5435, Flying Pigs 2926,
GORC 414, MI QRP 1163, 4SQRP

Hi,

The pig rig is cool and has generated a lot of enthusiasm. It's a single
frequency rig. I have come to appreciate single *band* rigs and even
single *mode* rigs for their no nonsense, no compromise performance
along with separate TX/RX. I can see that the pig rig has it's own "no
compromise" performance related directly to it's single frequency
design.

Maybe I'm just dense but I don't understand why anybody would want to
compromise that. And..wouldn't it be cheaper and easier just to build a
multi-frequency rig right from the start with a VXO, VFO or DDS?

73,

Bill KU8H

Todd K7TFC

I was thinking about using single pin sockets cut from a female "breakaway" header. I'd just install them in the pcb holes already provided. Here's a link to a source and picture. They're handy for a lot of hack jobs.

73,

Todd
K7TFC / Medford, Oregon, USA / CN82ni / UTC-8
QRP (CW & SSB) / EmComm / SOTA / Homebrew / Design

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 8:12 PM, David Martin <davemrtn@...> wrote:

Great idea......

The crystals are spaced at .200", but the problem is the "individual crystal" leads are spaced at .200" apart and a dip socket spacing (one side to the other) is .300"

You might use a "wire-wrap" socket which has longer pins and bend them to fin into the .200" spacing thus adapting the crystal lead spacing to .300" allowing crystals piggy-backed (no pun intended) on a dip socket to be used.

Excellent idea about putting all crystals on one dip socket then rotate socket to swap frequencies.

--
David Martin - K5DCM ---o0o---
Mountain Home, Arkansas

David Martin <davemrtn@...>

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 7:41 PM, casey kerchner <kc9ih@...> wrote:

 While using a switch is pretty much out, has anyone given thought to adding an IC Socket and mounting the Rocks on a DIP Plug (or header)? Then it should be quick and easy to change frequency.

Casey,

That's what I'm going to do. X1 will be easy to do. X2-X4 will be a little trickier. I'm going to try to "unitize" them with a second ground bus wire across the top for strength. Each will get it's own 2-pin socket, and the ground wire will get a single. I'll solder the sockets in place, install the xtals and ground lead, and then solder the two buses across the top. With a little wiggling, the whole set ought to come out, leaving C17 and C18 in place.

The other issue here, of course, is that any other xtals have to be matched as a set. I'd like to know more about that.

73,

Todd
K7TFC / Medford, Oregon, USA / CN82ni / UTC-8
QRP (CW & SSB) / EmComm / SOTA / Homebrew / Design

Casey