QRP till death do you part?

Gust Kegelaers

Hej guys,

here's one I've frequently been thinking of since I joined 4SQRP and the QRP fraternity altogether.

Assuming that:

a) you have a barefoot rig with or without a kW amplifier;
b) Peter I, Tromelin, Kerguelen whatever go on air after many years of inactivity.

Would you:

1) try working them QRP until the DXpedition packs their bags, OR;
2) give in after a few days, a week, a fortnight then to switch the barefoot rig and amplifier on?

I guess this question is about how 'fanatic' one is about QRP.

Stay on topic please.
Gust ON6KE

random.path

I have a hard time getting excited about working DXpeditions because of the feeling that I'm probably sending to and receiving from computer on the other end. I'm sure that is often a wrong assumption, but it still colors my perception. I might give them a half-hearted try once or twice, but that is about it.

Chip
AE5KA

--- In 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com, "gkegelaers" <gkegelaers@...> wrote:

Hej guys,

here's one I've frequently been thinking of since I joined 4SQRP and the QRP fraternity altogether.

Assuming that:

a) you have a barefoot rig with or without a kW amplifier;
b) Peter I, Tromelin, Kerguelen whatever go on air after many years of inactivity.

Would you:

1) try working them QRP until the DXpedition packs their bags, OR;
2) give in after a few days, a week, a fortnight then to switch the barefoot rig and amplifier on?

I guess this question is about how 'fanatic' one is about QRP.

Stay on topic please.
Gust ON6KE

James Rodenkirch

A DXCC certificate doesn't allow for a QRP sticker, like a WAS and WAZ award does and, as I get older, I realize my chances of upping my QRP DXCC list of worked/confirmed are diminishing. Thus, other than the personal satisfaction of workin' 'em with QRP power, there is little incentive to do that!!!

I find myself working DX on the low bands (160 and 80) at QRP power and up to all of 30 watts, and claiming some sort of personal satisfaction - Hi Hi.

There is another incentive, if having a certificate with the QRP sticker is important, and that is QRP WAS on 160 and 80.  That takes a little "work" and can be accurately portrayed as a challenge!

72, Jim Rodenkirch K9JWV

To: gkegelaers@...; 4sqrp@...
From: groups@...
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 12:58:24 +0000
Subject: [4sqrp] Re: QRP till death do you part?

--- In 4sqrp@..., "gkegelaers" wrote:

> Hej guys,
>
> here's one I've frequently been thinking of since I joined 4SQRP and the QRP fraternity altogether.
>
> Assuming that:
>
> a) you have a barefoot rig with or without a kW amplifier;
> b) Peter I, Tromelin, Kerguelen whatever go on air after many years of inactivity.
>
> Would you:
>
> 1) try working them QRP until the DXpedition packs their bags, OR;
> 2) give in after a few days, a week, a fortnight then to switch the barefoot rig and amplifier on?
>
> I guess this question is about how 'fanatic' one is about QRP.
>
> Stay on topic please.
> Gust ON6KE

davemrtn

Walter - K5EST

Interesting thinking!

Currently I am working on a monthly Sunday evening Sprint......but as soon as there is time, after Ozarkcon, then I shall investigate 4SQRP being able to have an offering equal to a prime DXCC award. It will take volunteers and a computer interface, award worthy certificate, and the blessing of our 4SQRP members. A new similar award name to DXCC is a 1st step!

So if you members have thoughts on an appropriate name, I am all ears!

More to follow.....

72/73....Walter . K5EST
Editor . Ozark QRP Banner

On Mar 19, 2013 5:38 AM, "gkegelaers" <gkegelaers@...> wrote:

Hej guys,

here's one I've frequently been thinking of since I joined 4SQRP and the QRP fraternity altogether.

Assuming that:

a) you have a barefoot rig with or without a kW amplifier;
b) Peter I, Tromelin, Kerguelen whatever go on air after many years of inactivity.

Would you:

1) try working them QRP until the DXpedition packs their bags, OR;
2) give in after a few days, a week, a fortnight then to switch the barefoot rig and amplifier on?

I guess this question is about how 'fanatic' one is about QRP.

Stay on topic please.
Gust ON6KE

Wayne Dillon

Many years ago, I was almost rabid about working any DXPedition/special call I could on HF. I got almost nowhere, even running an amp. Then a kindly mentor gave me the book by Bob Locher "The Complete DXer". I learned (it sounds obvious now) to transmit where he/she is listening. My success rate grew but it became more about what I could do with the minimum of power. fast forward to a couple of Saturdays ago when TX5K was on. I thought I'd give it a try but 20 was a howling zoo so I went up to 15m, and employed the techniques I'd learned. Sure enough I found the station that was working the TX5K op, nudged the TX vfo a hair higher and dropped in my call at his speed. What do you know, back comes my callsign with the "standard" 599. Well I'm in the log and it's confirmed on the website, all this with 5 watts and a wire antenna. Technique trumps muscle every time, and I am by no means an "expert" DXer.
I don't avidly chase DX any more but if the opportunity presents itself, well yeah, I'm up for it, and I know with the correct technique I'll likely work 'em. Whatever aspect of Ham  Radio you do, enjoy it. If it becomes a chore then it isn't a hobby any more.
72/3 es God Bless all de Wayne - KC0PMH

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 8:37 AM, David Martin <davemrtn@...> wrote:

I guess it comes down to what you are trying to accomplish, or maybe what you call fun ?

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER.

The Lord bless you and keep you

God Bless from Wayne Dillon - KC0PMH

Joshua 24:14-15
2 Cor 5:17
1 Jn 2:17

4 State QRP Group NCS - 40m & 160m
4SQRP #95
FPQRP #342 (Flying Pigs QRP Club)
G-QRP-C #11504
NAQCC # 0759
QRP-ARCI #11505
SKCC #1155
SOC #848
30MDG#1176
NEQRP #693
GORC #192

Barney <barneyro@...>

     That's absolutely correct.  If, and that's a big if, you can find the station that is calling the DX, and get real close to his freq then it's very probable that the DX will pick you up.

     Sometimes the distance to one of these DXpeditions is less than the path to Europe, but it's just another country for some folks.  I'm way past that.

73

Barney/NO0N

On 3/19/2013 9:01 AM, Wayne Dillon wrote:

[...]

Bill Cromwell

Hi,

In the spirit of the FCC rules we should use the minimum power output
required for good communication. "Good" is somewhat subjective but the
concept is not. It suggests that more power may be needed sometimes. I
do operate at power levels down to about a quarter watt. My biggest,
fattest radios run approximately 100 watts output. One of my favorites
is a Johnson Ranger (down for repairs - again) with real world output of
about 35 watts (dials way down under 1 watt).

Having what many here think of as a "QRP rig" allows me to be on the air
longer when the electric utilities are down and batteries are all that's
available. So I'm doing some of those too.

But if more power is needed you'll see me reaching for the drive control
(grin). I'll also reach for that control if you tell me I'm 90 dB over
S9 to dial it down. And..if I am working in a contest, sprint, etc in
the QRP class I will make sure I'm at the appropriate power levels (4
watts max by my meter) whether or not I can work a particular
station..until end of contest do us part (evil grin).

73,

Bill KU8H

Gust Kegelaers

I notice that but few having so far replied have actually answered the question..

--
Gust Kegelaers
ON6KE

If there's life after death I hope there's amateur radio too!

http://www.qrz.com/db/ON6KE

[...]

Robert 'RC' Conley <rc.kc5wa@...>

5watts get used to it all contesters use 5 watts

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 11:43 AM, Gust Kegelaers <gkegelaers@...> wrote:

[...]

"beware of gray fuzzies"

lee <aa4ga@...>

--- In 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com, "gkegelaers" <gkegelaers@...> wrote:

a) you have a barefoot rig with or without a kW amplifier;
b) Peter I, Tromelin, Kerguelen whatever go on air after many years of inactivity.

Would you:

1) try working them QRP until the DXpedition packs their bags, OR;
2) give in after a few days, a week, a fortnight then to switch the barefoot rig and amplifier on?

I do have a 100 watt rig, yet in the past two years or so, I have only worked at 5 watts output or less by choice. That includes all my DXing and contesting. I worked a lot of DX before I became a QRPer, probably around 275 or 280 countries...I've actually lost count. But I have started over using QRP, and (at least at this point in my radio career) would not resort to 100 watts just to work a rare country. In fact, there have been several DXpeditions recently that I could not reach with 5 watts. I was not tempted to put the 100-watt rig on the air, but that extra 13 dB probably would have allowed me to complete a QSO.

Now, I could just as easily wake up one morning and decide that I'm tired of only using 5 watts or less....but I don't see that happening any time soon.

It is unfortunate that the ARRL doesn't endorse their QRP DXCC with additional countries worked. But since they don't, I've started maintaining a list of QRP country totals - an unofficial QRP DXCC standings page - at http://www.aa4ga.com/p/qrp-dxcc.html and would invite all QRPers to submit their QRP country totals.

Look for the a new domain for this list to come online soon (I hope)...in the meantime, the above link will work fine.

73 de Lee, AA4GA

Robert 'RC' Conley <rc.kc5wa@...>

Every contest that I have entered was done as SO QRP SSB I used an Elecraft K3 locked down at 5 watts. Would you like to see my station and certificates? I even have a SS Plague skill and technique will always triumph over brute force. YES I am able to run at 600 watts but the joy is scoring higher the rest of the local club  (QRO ops) <www.kc5wa.net>

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 12:01 PM, lee <aa4ga@...> wrote:

--- In 4sqrp@..., "gkegelaers"
> a) you have a barefoot rig with or without a kW amplifier;
> b) Peter I, Tromelin, Kerguelen whatever go on air after many years of inactivity.
>
> Would you:
>
> 1) try working them QRP until the DXpedition packs their bags, OR;
> 2) give in after a few days, a week, a fortnight then to switch the barefoot rig and amplifier on?

I do have a 100 watt rig, yet in the past two years or so, I have only worked at 5 watts output or less by choice. That includes all my DXing and contesting. I worked a lot of DX before I became a QRPer, probably around 275 or 280 countries...I've actually lost count. But I have started over using QRP, and (at least at this point in my radio career) would not resort to 100 watts just to work a rare country. In fact, there have been several DXpeditions recently that I could not reach with 5 watts. I was not tempted to put the 100-watt rig on the air, but that extra 13 dB probably would have allowed me to complete a QSO.

Now, I could just as easily wake up one morning and decide that I'm tired of only using 5 watts or less....but I don't see that happening any time soon.

It is unfortunate that the ARRL doesn't endorse their QRP DXCC with additional countries worked. But since they don't, I've started maintaining a list of QRP country totals - an unofficial QRP DXCC standings page - at http://www.aa4ga.com/p/qrp-dxcc.html and would invite all QRPers to submit their QRP country totals.

Look for the a new domain for this list to come online soon (I hope)...in the meantime, the above link will work fine.

73 de Lee, AA4GA

--
"beware of gray fuzzies"

wb9dlc <wb9dlc@...>

Hello Gust

Well, I enjoy QRP but I am not 100% QRPer. At this point I am vigorously chasing DX and when I hear a rare entity that may not be available again for 10 or more years I will not spend any time at QRP levels and typically don't hesitate running 500-600 watts to compete in the pile-up. I am too old to wait for the next time that Midway is activated ;-)

I do work DX at QRP levels for the fun of it - but usually after I already have them worked and confirmed.

There, I said it.

BTW - Ham radio after death? - depends on where you end up!

Mike - WB9DLC
http://wb9dlc.com

--- In 4sqrp@yahoogroups.com, Gust Kegelaers <gkegelaers@...> wrote:

I notice that but few having so far replied have actually answered the question..

--
Gust Kegelaers
ON6KE
If there's life after death I hope there's amateur radio too!

http://www.qrz.com/db/ON6KE

Gust Kegelaers

Thank you for - as one of the few - answering the question Lee.

72, good DX.

--
Gust Kegelaers
ON6KE

If there's life after death I hope there's amateur radio too!

http://www.qrz.com/db/ON6KE

> a) you have a barefoot rig with or without a kW amplifier;
> b) Peter I, Tromelin, Kerguelen whatever go on air after many years of inactivity.
>
> Would you:
>
> 1) try working them QRP until the DXpedition packs their bags, OR;
> 2) give in after a few days, a week, a fortnight then to switch the barefoot rig and amplifier on?

I do have a 100 watt rig, yet in the past two years or so, I have only worked at 5 watts output or less by choice. That includes all my DXing and contesting. I worked a lot of DX before I became a QRPer, probably around 275 or 280 countries...I've actually lost count. But I have started over using QRP, and (at least at this point in my radio career) would not resort to 100 watts just to work a rare country. In fact, there have been several DXpeditions recently that I could not reach with 5 watts. I was not tempted to put the 100-watt rig on the air, but that extra 13 dB probably would have allowed me to complete a QSO.

Now, I could just as easily wake up one morning and decide that I'm tired of only using 5 watts or less....but I don't see that happening any time soon.

It is unfortunate that the ARRL doesn't endorse their QRP DXCC with additional countries worked. But since they don't, I've started maintaining a list of QRP country totals - an unofficial QRP DXCC standings page - at http://www.aa4ga.com/p/qrp-dxcc.html and would invite all QRPers to submit their QRP country totals.

Look for the a new domain for this list to come online soon (I hope)...in the meantime, the above link will work fine.

73 de Lee, AA4GA

Gust Kegelaers

That's a clear answer, thank you Mike!
72 (73), good DX

--- In 4sqrp@..., Gust Kegelaers wrote:

> I notice that but few having so far replied have actually answered the question..
>

> --
> Gust Kegelaers
> ON6KE
> If there's life after death I hope there's amateur radio too!
>
> http://www.qrz.com/db/ON6KE

Wayne Dillon

OK Gust,
To answer your question, I'd try working them QRP until they pack their bags and go home. BUT not exclusively, I'd try at different times and on different bands until they pack up but not to exclusion of all other Ham Radio. If they're there and I work them, great. If I don't work them, no biggie.
72/3 es God Bless de Wayne - KC0PMH

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 5:38 AM, gkegelaers <gkegelaers@...> wrote:

[...]

Dan Reynolds

> 1) try working them QRP until the DXpedition packs their bags, OR;
> 2) give in after a few days, a week, a fortnight then to switch the barefoot rig and amplifier on?
>
> I guess this question is about how 'fanatic' one is about QRP.

I don't consider myself a QRP fanatic. #1 reason for QRP for me is because that's where the 'builders' are. How many QRO guys build their own rigs? I know some build amps but that's another subject...
#2 reason is why take a howitzer to a knife fight? When I fish I use light tackle. Why? Because of the thrill. It's no fun reeling in a bluegill on 20# test line.
I've heard the "use only the power required" line bantered about a lot recently. Someone even suggesting it could be construed to mean we should be using MORE power rather than less. I guess in a real honest to goodness emergency we should use more power.
Maybe if I was really hungry I'd use 20# test to make sure I'd catch that bluegill.
But for 99% of us and for 99% of the time it is NOT an emergency. It's a hobby and we do it for the fun. I guess if you're idea of fun is 1000 watts okay. I'll give you that. But my idea of fun is 5 watts and the patience to make it through the pile up for that DX contact. (I'm not a DX fanatic either. Just like "catching" them once in a while and I swear - for me - it's 100 times better knowing I did it with 5 watts.)

So, to answer the questions
1) Yep, I'll just use whatever I have. Maybe if I had a 100 watt radio and I was desperate I'd try but usually it's more a matter of propagation, antenna and your skill that will net you that contact.
2) My amp is only 25 watts. Not sure that will help much! :-)

Maybe the saying ought to be: "life's too short to worry about whether I'm QRP or QRO. It's a hobby and I should be having fun."
73
Dan  --  KB9JLO

Dan Reynolds

--- In 4sqrp@..., "David Martin" wrote:
> I guess it comes down to what you are trying to accomplish, or
> maybe what you call fun ?

David, in my book you hit the nail on the head! Amen brother!

Because of my poor CW ability I do a lot of SSB. I've gotten to the point where I never tell the op on the other end I'm QRP, I "forget" to tell them my power and I only say I have a Yaesu (no model number - it's an FT-817). It's amazing how well they suddenly CANNOT hear you when you tell them you're running 5 watts, QRP or using a Yaesu FT-817.
I figure what they don't know can't hurt me.
I don't mean this as a bad attitude. If they don't know - they'll have fun and I'll have fun. I will tell the (whole) truth in the logbook and on a QSL.
73
Dan -- KB9JLO

Barney <barneyro@...>

Oh, ok,

No on nr 1

and yes on nr 2.  Don't own an amp, but rig is capable of 100w but usually 25 does it fine.

73

Barney

On 3/19/2013 11:43 AM, Gust Kegelaers wrote:

[...]

Nick-WA5BDU

My answer is that I'd try to get the new country at 100 watts or whatever. But it's surely going to vary with the individual and what goals he's set for himself DX-wise, QRP-wise and so on.

I did have fun working 41 countries QRP in the recent ARRL DX test using 5 watts to a 66 foot end fed wire.

72-

Nick, WA5BDU