Topics

PigRig Resistor Values

Lee Mairs (SAG) <lmairs@...>

I may be having a brain fart, but I cannot recognize the abbreviations of resistor values in the parts list. For example, 4M7, 4K7, 5K6. Can someone break the code for me??
73 de Lee
KM4YY

John DeJournett

4M7 = 4.7 Mega Ohms or 4 Million 700 thousand ohms.
similarly, 4K7 is 4.7 Thousand  ohms and 5K6 is 5.6 Thousand ohms.

John DeJournett, KD0JXN

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 4:49 PM, Lee Mairs (SAG) <lmairs@...> wrote:

I may be having a brain fart, but I cannot recognize the abbreviations of
resistor values in the parts list. For example, 4M7, 4K7, 5K6. Can someone
break the code for me??
73 de Lee
KM4YY

Robert 'RC' Conley <rc.kc5wa@...>

4m7= 4.7m ohm
4k7=4.7k ohm
5k6=5.6k ohm
4r2= 4.2 ohm

--
"beware of gray fuzzies"

Bill Cromwell

On Thu, 2013-03-21 at 17:49 -0400, Lee Mairs (SAG) wrote:

I may be having a brain fart, but I cannot recognize the abbreviations
of
resistor values in the parts list. For example, 4M7, 4K7, 5K6. Can
someone
break the code for me??
73 de Lee
KM4YY
Hi Lee,

It's just a newfangled notation. You already knew that K=1,000 and
M=1,000,000. They put the M or the K where the decimal point goes. If
it's smaller than 1K then they use an R (presumably for resistor). Can
you imagine how small a decimal point would be on today's tiny
resistors!

73,

Bill KU8H

W0IIT

Nothing new fangled about it. That is the way those designations have been done for years in the electronics businesses and hobbyist in Great Britain for many years.

Todd K7TFC

Just to add a bit of context, the format of an R value such as 4K7 is being adopted by many as a way of avoid the confusion sometimes caused by Americans using a "." as a decimal point and Europeans using "," for that purpose. So rather than use either, a K or M is used as a separator. It's also easier to read in case printing is faint or otherwise hard to read. A speck of black dust could be mistaken for a decimal point, or an easily-obliterated "." would also be problematic. It's not so easy for a capital K or M to be taken for something else, and since they refer to ancient Greek prefixes, they pose no language barriers.

73,

Todd
K7TFC / Medford, Oregon, USA / CN82ni / UTC-8
QRP (CW & SSB) / EmComm / SOTA / Homebrew / Design

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 2:59 PM, Robert 'RC' Conley <rc.kc5wa@...> wrote:

4m7= 4.7m ohm
4k7=4.7k ohm
5k6=5.6k ohm
4r2= 4.2 ohm

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 4:49 PM, Lee Mairs (SAG) <lmairs@...> wrote:

I may be having a brain fart, but I cannot recognize the abbreviations of
resistor values in the parts list. For example, 4M7, 4K7, 5K6. Can someone
break the code for me??
73 de Lee
KM4YY

--
"beware of gray fuzzies"

Bill Cromwell

On Thu, 2013-03-21 at 17:49 -0400, Lee Mairs (SAG) wrote:

I may be having a brain fart, but I cannot recognize the abbreviations
of
resistor values in the parts list. For example, 4M7, 4K7, 5K6. Can
someone
break the code for me??
73 de Lee
KM4YY

Looks like Lee ain't in Great Britain. I'm not, too. It's newfangled
here.

73,

Bill KU8H

Bill Cromwell

Yup,

It's a good idea.

73,

Bill KU8H

On Thu, 2013-03-21 at 15:40 -0700, Todd F. Carney / K7TFC wrote:

Just to add a bit of context, the format of an R value such as 4K7 is
being adopted by many as a way of avoid the confusion sometimes caused
by Americans using a "." as a decimal point and Europeans using ","
for that purpose. So rather than use either, a K or M is used as a
separator. It's also easier to read in case printing is faint or
otherwise hard to read. A speck of black dust could be mistaken for a
decimal point, or an easily-obliterated "." would also be problematic.
It's not so easy for a capital K or M to be taken for something else,
and since they refer to ancient Greek prefixes, they pose no language
barriers.

73,

Todd
K7TFC / Medford, Oregon, USA / CN82ni / UTC-8
QRP (CW & SSB) / EmComm / SOTA / Homebrew / Design

Wayne Dillon

No Bill, Not newfangled. the Europeans have been doing it that way for years. Using K or M as the seperator instead of a decimal point is simply a way of making the value less suceptable to mis-interpretation, so, instead of 4.7K we have 4K7 or, instead of 1.2Meg we have 1M2. Similarly when the value is less that 1K for example 680 ohms the munber 680 is used. 500K is still 500K.
I took my engineering qualifications in the UK while employed by the Marconi Company in Chelmsford so I guess it's "normal electronics" language to me.
Hope this helps
72/3 es God Bless de Wayne - KC0PMH

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 5:41 PM, Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@...> wrote:

On Thu, 2013-03-21 at 17:49 -0400, Lee Mairs (SAG) wrote:

> I may be having a brain fart, but I cannot recognize the abbreviations
> of
> resistor values in the parts list. For example, 4M7, 4K7, 5K6. Can
> someone
> break the code for me??
> 73 de Lee
> KM4YY

Looks like Lee ain't in Great Britain. I'm not, too. It's newfangled
here.

73,

Bill KU8H

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER.

The Lord bless you and keep you

God Bless from Wayne Dillon - KC0PMH

Joshua 24:14-15
2 Cor 5:17
1 Jn 2:17

4 State QRP Group NCS - 40m & 160m
4SQRP #95
FPQRP #342 (Flying Pigs QRP Club)
G-QRP-C #11504
NAQCC # 0759
QRP-ARCI #11505
SKCC #1155
SOC #848
30MDG#1176
NEQRP #693
GORC #192

Wayne Dillon

Careful, 4m7 means 4.7 miliohms, 4M7 means 4.7 Megohms.
Wayne - KC0PMH

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 4:59 PM, Robert 'RC' Conley <rc.kc5wa@...> wrote:

4m7= 4.7m ohm
4k7=4.7k ohm
5k6=5.6k ohm
4r2= 4.2 ohm

[...]

4M7 meand 4million 7000 ohms.
Wayne - KC0PMH

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 4:55 PM, John DeJournett <j.dejourn@...> wrote:

[...]

davemrtn

Not as flawless as claimed.....

one typo can make a big difference, or maybe that is - one typo can make SMOKE !!!

I see NOTHING wrong with the good ol' American way, heck I still like Cycles Per Second (cps) and micro micro Farad (uuF).

�

http://www.qsl.net/kc0pmh/�� Under construction but please visit anyway.
�
QRP - �EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER.�
�

The Lord bless you and keep you

God Bless from Wayne Dillon - KC0PMH

Joshua 24:14-15
2 Cor 5:17
1 Jn 2:17
�

4 State QRP Group NCS - 40m & 160m
4SQRP #95
FPQRP #342 (Flying Pigs QRP Club)
G-QRP-C #11504
NAQCC # 0759
QRP-ARCI #11505
SKCC #1155
SOC #848
30MDG#1176
NEQRP #693
GORC #192

--
David Martin - K5DCM ---o0o---
Mountain Home, Arkansas

�

John Hill <n9rlojrh@...>

I'd not heard of that before. I'm all for making resistor values easier to read. I'm color blind and I really have a tough time. Plus my eyes are getting older. John Hill N9RLO

--
N9RLO John Hill

WA0ITP

Yep, Cycles and Mickey Mikes have been with us for a looong time.  It still hurts to use Hertz sometimes.

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72   WAØITP
www.qrpspots.com

[...]

I hear ya John,

I don't even try to read the bands on the 1% resistors anymore, or the 1/8 watters.  I just panic and grab the ohmmeter.

OK, back to Ocon stuff, it's coming up fast.

I love this radio stuff !
72   WAØITP
www.qrpspots.com