Topics

Seen some smoke today.

George H. Gates

Built a audio amp to use with my Ft Tuthill80 rig. I had a number of the PCBs and had built several of them for other rigs. I forgot the 12VDC input on the board was marked wrong! 10 ohm resistor smoked. Replaced resistor and reversed leads and all is well. Know I remember what that smoke smells like. I prefer solder/flux fumes. Don't want to be addicted to smoke from fried parts! 72 Geo/w2BPI

Joe Bento

On 3/22/2013 10:33 PM, Tom Sevart wrote:
On 03/22/2013 10:16, GeorgeG wrote:
Know I remember what that
smoke smells like. I prefer solder/flux fumes. Don't want to be addicted
to smoke from fried parts! 72 Geo/w2BPI
They make component smoke smell bad on purpose so you'll be sure to not
make that mistake again.
The smoke you don't want to see is the magic smoke escaping from components in your circuit. Things never work quite the same following that.

Joe, N6DGY

Bill Cromwell

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

73,

Bill KU8H

Todd K7TFC

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 8:48 PM, Bill Cromwell <wrcromwell@...> wrote:

The smoke smells that way so blind hams can enjoy it too.

This sounds like an adaptation of an oldie-but-goodie fart joke.

73,

Todd
K7TFC / Medford, Oregon, USA / CN82ni / UTC-8
QRP (CW & SSB) / EmComm / SOTA / Homebrew / Design

davemrtn

Since they add smell to natural gas so we'll know when there's a gas leak, I assume there's a guy in a back room somewhere at the resistor factory who's job it is to add the smell to the smoke that goes into the resistor ???

Do they put smoke/smell into a resistor the same way the cream is put inside the Twinkies ????

Who decided which smell goes with transformers, which smell for resistors & which smell for transistors ???

On 03/22/2013 11:33 PM, Tom Sevart wrote:

On 03/22/2013 10:16, GeorgeG wrote:
> Know I remember what that
> smoke smells like. I prefer solder/flux fumes. Don't want to be addicted
> to smoke from fried parts! 72 Geo/w2BPI

They make component smoke smell bad on purpose so you'll be sure to not
make that mistake again.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

--
David Martin - K5DCM ---o0o---
Mountain Home, Arkansas

Tom Sevart <n2uhc@...>

Cromwell <wrcromwell@gmail.com> wrote:

The smoke smells that way so blind hams can enjoy it too.

This sounds like an adaptation of an oldie-but-goodie fart joke.

73,

Todd
K7TFC / Medford, Oregon, USA / CN82ni / UTC-8
QRP (CW & SSB) / EmComm / SOTA / Homebrew / Design
Recycling is a good thing (grin)

73,

Bill KU8H

Bill Cromwell

Once upon a time a younger brother received an electric train set for
Christmas. After playing with it for several *hours* the train jumped
the track (yet again). Little brother got up and left it there with
transformer output shorted (overloaded anyway). Eventually it began to
um... smell *funny*. Our mother did *NOT* enjoy it at all - after all
she wasn't blind (evil grin). Even though the transformer was not
completely destroyed it smelled so bad it was not allowed in the house
any more. That was the end of the electric train set.

73,

Bill KU8H