Topics

PigRig and HPM

WA0ITP

I just stuck the Hi_per_Mite on the pigrig. Man does it ever clean up the
sidetone. Lots of QRN on 40 today so it's probobly not a fair test of the HPM
but it sounds vy good so far.

Anyone else using this combo today?

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72 WA�ITP
www.qrpspots.com

Herb Graeber

You must have changed out the 12 pf with the 15pf???
Is that enough to raise the rx tone to 700 cycles??
Using the 12 pf and with my TX adjusted to 7030.690 -
7030.7 my rx tone is about 450 to maybe 500 at the most.

72...Herb K5HG

I just stuck the Hi_per_Mite on the pigrig. Man does it ever clean up the
sidetone. Lots of QRN on 40 today so it's probobly not a fair test of the HPM
but it sounds vy good so far.

Anyone else using this combo today?

Stephen Roberts <steverob@...>

I just fired up my pig rig for the first time and still haven't tuned it in but it sends and receives close to the target freq. I heard a lot of background noise and I think the bandpass needs tweaking as there seemed to be a number of stations on the freq, so I think that needs some adjustment. I have a hyper mite and haven't used it, but as I just listened to 40 with the pig rig, I immediately thought it might be a great addition. Glad to hear that you tried one. Can you tell me how you have your Hipermite set up?

73
Steve
W1SFR

On Mar 30, 2013, at 7:04 PM, WA0ITP wrote:

I just stuck the Hi_per_Mite on the pigrig. Man does it ever clean up the
sidetone. Lots of QRN on 40 today so it's probobly not a fair test of the HPM
but it sounds vy good so far.

Anyone else using this combo today?

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72 WAØITP
www.qrpspots.com

kb4qqj

Not today Terry, I've been at  RARSfest all day, but I've been using that combo with great success from day one on the Pig Rig. All I need to do now is put some volume control on the sidetone. Mine is deafening. A resistor change is definitely  in the future.
You are correct. I also installed the BFI filter you suggested and it made short work of WSML and WBAG!! Thanks for the tip.
The Hi-Per_Mite is a natural for the the Pig Rig.

Randy_KB4QQJ

In a message dated 3/30/2013 7:04:24 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, wa0itp@... writes:

I just stuck the Hi_per_Mite on the pigrig. Man does it ever clean up the
sidetone. Lots of QRN on 40 today so it's probobly not a fair test of the HPM
but it sounds vy good so far.

Anyone else using this combo today?

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72 WAØITP
www.qrpspots.com

WA0ITP

I remember you mentioned doing that.  One thng I dont like is the harshness of static crashes thru the HPM.  Does yours sound like that?  Softer crashes when not in the circuit and harsher when in?   If not then I may have a problem with this one.  It's definitely doing it s job with QRM and the sidetone tho.

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72   WAØITP
www.qrpspots.com

[...]

I mistyped that Herb, sri.  The sidetone is 560 comparing a computer audio generator that I  use.  The HPM knocks it down a fair amount but it's useable.   I did change C27 to 15p in order to get enough transmit offset tho.  My sidetone is set with the number 4 on the F menu selection Mostly because I like a lower tone.  I put it there because that about what I get for the transmit offset, maybe a bit more.   The sidetone isn't related to the xmit offset.  You can make it match the HPM if you wish.

If you wish you can also put the center of the HPM's bandpass where you want it.  There's a table of values on the kit's home page.

When, I take the pigrig out of the case, I'll bump up the offset some more.  Maybe tack a 3.3 or 4.7p across the 15p at C27 and see where that takes the offset.  Then maybe raise the sidetone some more, but maybe not.  The next step for me is to add crystal sockets so I can put it on 7122.

I did play with the sidetone freq and changing it to 714 cycles (#2) made a heckuva difference in it's volume. Too much for me so I changed it back to 625 and the volume out of the HPM is better for my old ears.

Hope this helps, have fun.

I love this radio stuff !
72   WAØITP
www.qrpspots.com