Topics

Ozarkcon event question

Jeremy Utley

Hey guys!

Just a thought, was wondering if anyone else had ever considered it....has there ever been thought of conducting a VE testing session during Ozarkcon? I just started thinking about it as I was sending our local club's testing sessions to ARRL for listing in their page of upcoming tests. I'm sure we could come up with 3 people out of the attendees who are accredited and could provide testing if anyone was interested in it - I know I'm accredited with ARRL and could be one of them.

I know it's a little late to organize for this year, but maybe something that could be considered for next year.

Jeremy

Johnny AC0BQ

Hey Jeremy
I am accredited with ARRL as well.
I think next year it might be a good idea to see if their is any interest.

On Monday, April 1, 2013, Jeremy Utley wrote:

Hey guys!

Just a thought, was wondering if anyone else had ever considered
it....has there ever been thought of conducting a VE testing session
during Ozarkcon? I just started thinking about it as I was sending our
local club's testing sessions to ARRL for listing in their page of
upcoming tests. I'm sure we could come up with 3 people out of the
attendees who are accredited and could provide testing if anyone was
interested in it - I know I'm accredited with ARRL and could be one of them.

I know it's a little late to organize for this year, but maybe something
that could be considered for next year.

Jeremy

Jeremy Utley

I think it would definately be worth trying out for a year.� I'm the ARRL Team Liason for our club here in Iola, and it shouldn't be any problem for me to bring the test materials - as long as we could come up with one more Extra-class VE.� I'd even be willing to take the point in trying to organize it for next year, if people thought it was a good idea.

Jeremy, N9PH

On 4/1/2013 3:55 PM, Johnny Matlock wrote:
Hey Jeremy�
I am accredited with ARRL as well.
I think next year it might be a good idea to see if their is any interest.
�72
Johnny AC0BQ

On Monday, April 1, 2013, Jeremy Utley wrote:
�

Hey guys!

Just a thought, was wondering if anyone else had ever considered
it....has there ever been thought of conducting a VE testing session
during Ozarkcon? I just started thinking about it as I was sending our
local club's testing sessions to ARRL for listing in their page of
upcoming tests. I'm sure we could come up with 3 people out of the
attendees who are accredited and could provide testing if anyone was
interested in it - I know I'm accredited with ARRL and could be one of them.

I know it's a little late to organize for this year, but maybe something
that could be considered for next year.

Jeremy

David Martin <davemrtn@...>

Saturday is a full day for those that came to attend OzarkCon, so the only time available might be Friday evening and frankly I'd rather be participating in a kit build than doing testing.

Surely to goodness there are enough testing sessions year round at many hundreds of locations that no one would have to miss what they came to OzarkCon for.

Maybe the Branson club might want to give a testing session during OzarkCon, or maybe they already have schedules testing sessions throughout the year ???

�

--
David Martin - K5DCM ---o0o---
Mountain Home, Arkansas

Automobile efficiency is measured in MPG, NOT Gallons per Mile.
Amateur Radio efficiency, fun & skill is measured by Miles Per Watt, NOT Watts per Mile.

�

WA0ITP

Sounds like a good idea to me Jeremy, go for it.

----------------------------------
I love this radio stuff !
72   WAØITP
www.qrpspots.com

[...]

Sounds good to me.
Do we need 2 extra s to hold that level?
Tnx
Johnny

[...]

Bill Gerth

I am also an Extra-Class VE and would be happy to assist in whatever way possible.

73,

BILL GERTH, W4RK
Jefferson City, MO
First Licensed 1954
CWOPS #459
4 States QRP Group
KX3 (S/N 112)

On Apr 1, 2013, at 4:04 PM, Jeremy Utley wrote:

[...]

OK, so that's 3 VE's who are willing to try it out.� As I said, it's a little too late to try to do it for this year's event, but for 2014, I think it's something that could be added into things.� Looking at the schedule, I honestly think the easiest way to do it would be to allow for testing in the period of time between registration opening at 4pm Friday and the dinner at 6pm - that leaves 2 hours for testing that would not conflict with any other important stuff, and I think that would be a prime chance to allow for some testing.

Jeremy, N9PH

On 4/1/2013 6:19 PM, Bill Gerth wrote:
[...]

W0IIT

The Joplin club holds a test session during their hamfest and I am pretty sure during the rest of the year. They would pretty well cover the same area that we would be covering during OzarkCon, with the exception of guys and gals that come from outside this 4 state area for Ocon. I tend to agree with Dave, we have a jam packed agenda and most people who are attracted to Ocon would probably be there for the build session, forum, or vendor availability!

We sure don't want to be taking people away from forums that the presenters have worked on. For that matter we really don't want to take attendees away from the vendors and the folks that have brought stuff to trade or sell.

Just my 2 cents worth!!

cu es 72, Bart W0IIT
Pittsburg, KS
4Sqrp = #72, FP= #11, ARS=#568, SKCC=1139, NAQCC=#588 FIST=#5819, Zombie=#500, Geritol=#1000(from back when I actually had a mic connected to my rig:-)

Mike Sanders

The Ozarks Amateur Radio Society OARS has ARRL VE testing
every month on the first Saturday. This is at the Barry Lawrence
County Library in MT Vernon just a block off the square. Testing
starts at 10AM sharp and walk ins are welcome. Check out the
schedule on the ARRL website. The exception being this month.
In April VE testing is done at our hamfest in Aurora held at the
Pate Early Learning Center on April 13th. Anyone interested in
more info on either testing or the hamfest can email me for
additional information or a hamfest flyer. 73, Mike

K0AZ
Mike Sanders
EM37cd SW Missouri
www.k0az.com

[...]

Paul Smith

No flame suit on here but there is PLENTY of activities without adding testing... IMHO!
De Paul N0NBD

Sent from my iPad

[...]

Tom Sevart <n2uhc@...>

I certainly don't want to dissuade anyone from conducting a testing session if someone wants to either get licensed or upgrade, but I think most Ozarkcon attendees will already be either General or Extra class anyway. The other problem is finding a quiet spot to conduct a test session, since all the areas available to us for use during the conference will be busy. You would either need to conduct it in your hotel room, or possibly in the vendor room after close of business on Saturday evening.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Johnny AC0BQ

Well guys,
The discussion sounds valid to me.
I kinda have to agree with the fact that we may not have time or a place?
I guess we could kick the subject back up a couple or three months before the next OZARKCON and see what the demand would be? What do you think Jeremy?
Johnny AC0BQ