The morning after.

Charlie Vest

Wichita NWS would know for sure since they are located right at the airport there and also have a short tower with 2 meter beams on it and work on a regular basis with hams in their coverage area . For those of us in Northeast Oklahoma and Southeast Kansas , they also support the Beaumont repeater . I am not much on 2 meters , but I have a dual band antenna at about 20 feet and I can hear that repeater . Good for those of us in the area during severe weather and if you have a decent 2 meter FM outside antenna , you can likely at least here it .

NO CONNECTION .... Just for information , since the season is upon us .....

Charlie , W5COV

I read NWS FB post that said temp at Wichita Airport dropped 23 degrees in four miniutes

On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 12:11 PM, Nate Bargmann <n0nb@...> wrote:

Odd/amazing/interesting weather. Especially in light how it was that
much colder in south central Kansas while here along the north border we
had no ice and only slipped below freezing this morning. We did
receive much needed rain Tuesday night. This part of the world is often
full of surprises.

73, de Nate >>

72/73 TIM ALBERTSON KDOIA (ex KG6IRH)

* On 2013 11 Apr 13:18 -0500, Timothy-Allen Albertson wrote:
I read NWS FB post that said temp at Wichita Airport dropped 23 degrees in
four miniutes
That had to be quite a shock.

Certainly not nearly as dramatic is the history from my WX station which
recorded a high on Tuesday of 68 at 11:01 AM. Ten minutes later it
recorded 62 and at 12:01 PM recorded 50. After that it was a slow slide
downward the rest of the day.

73, de Nate >>

Timothy-Allen Albertson <kd0oia@...>

[...]

Jim Sheldon

My Tri-Bander wouldn't move yesterday - the rotor was encased in a block of ice, but this morning after the sun shone on it for a couple of hours, I shook it by rapidly changing the direction and heard all the ice crack off of it.  Ice fell on the roof of my covered deck with a loud noise and now the antenna moves again - LOL.

On the way back from our Thursday ham breakfast in Wichita, I noticed some really pretty views of the ice on the trees.  Made it home and back with my camera.  Just barely made it back in time to catch the sun angle, but it got too high very quickly.   I've downloaded the pix to the computer, but haven't had a chance to check them yet.  Hope I got at least a couple of noteworthy ones anyway.

Sure was pretty and fortunately no damage at my QTH or on my street either.  I didn't take my Butternut down and went out this morning with a rubber mallet.  After the sun was on it for a while, I whanged the mounting pipe with the mallet and ran for cover from the falling ice!

Jim - W0EB

Dennis Gaskill <gaskilld@...>

Sent: Thursday, April 11, 2013 9:38 AM
Subject: [4sqrp] The morning after.

GM All:  what a beautiful bright sun shineing morning, tnx to the good lord the ice is melting
trees are returningt to normal and it is just beautiful.  We escaped the damage and again thank
you lord for watching over us. Dick,  N0TGR

Virgil R. Hammond <n0tgr@...>