Topics

5 watts

Daniel Mullen

4sqrp,
Tonight I was talking to a station down in Texas and sent that I was running 5 watts. His next exchange was "r r ok Dan did you say 5 watts ?".
Tell me if that wasn't fun!
73 es God Bless KD0SZS

Sent from my iPhone

Bill Cromwell

On Tue, 2013-04-16 at 21:10 -0500, Daniel J. Mullen wrote:

4sqrp,
Tonight I was talking to a station down in Texas and sent that I was
running 5 watts. His next exchange was "r r ok Dan did you say 5
watts ?".
Tell me if that wasn't fun!
73 es God Bless KD0SZS

Sent from my iPhone
Heh,

Once upon a time I fired up an Argonaut on 15 meter SSB and answered a
CQ from Florida (I'm in Michigan). That guy was running a full legal
limit amp turned right up. He gave me a five nine report and some more
information. When I went back and reported my 2 watts to a very low
dipole I heard a loud noise when his dentures fell out and hit the desk,
tripping his VOX! (evil grin). He was astounded.

When the propagation fairies are playing we don't need much power at
all. A fellow in Sweden once told me he worked a Kansas station on 20
meter SSB with 200 milliwatts with 59 reports! He couldn't turn his
drive down any lower.

Ain't it great!?!

73,

Bill KU8H

Johnny AC0BQ

Ge Dan:
Sometimes the QRO boys will go deaf on you!
You were 599 or so when they heard you and all of a sudden you  got lost in the QSB.
Would you call that "selective hearing"
Have Fun, good job!

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 9:10 PM, Daniel J. Mullen <hamdad2m@...> wrote:

4sqrp,
Tonight I was talking to a station down in Texas and sent that I was running 5 watts. His next exchange was "r r ok Dan did you say 5 watts ?".
Tell me if that wasn't fun!
73 es God Bless KD0SZS

Sent from my iPhone

Wayne Dillon

Daniel,
Gotta love it. I've had that reaction a time or two when talking to some of the "Big Gun" west coast stations, mostly I run the "full gallon" of 5 watts but have been known to have some fun with them at a watt or so. When the sun spots are behaving ten meters is a lot of fun with just a few watts. Keep up the good work and stay safe my friend.
72/3 es God Bless de Wayne - KC0PMH

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 9:10 PM, Daniel J. Mullen <hamdad2m@...> wrote:

4sqrp,
Tonight I was talking to a station down in Texas and sent that I was running 5 watts. His next exchange was "r r ok Dan did you say 5 watts ?".
Tell me if that wasn't fun!
73 es God Bless KD0SZS

Sent from my iPhone

QRP -  EFFICIENCY AND SKILL, NOT POWER.

The Lord bless you and keep you

God Bless from Wayne Dillon - KC0PMH

Joshua 24:14-15
2 Cor 5:17
1 Jn 2:17

4 State QRP Group NCS - 40m & 160m
4SQRP #95
FPQRP #342 (Flying Pigs QRP Club)
G-QRP-C #11504
NAQCC # 0759
QRP-ARCI #11505
SKCC #1155
SOC #848
30MDG#1176
NEQRP #693
GORC #192

sshin02143@...

I have had that experience too, where the other station is in a state of disbelief about my 5 watts. Often I get a power report from the other station, and I've been told of anywhere from 300 to 900 watts, and I'm doing just fine with my 5!

It all really comes down to propagation doesn't it? I've worked Australia a couple of times at 5 watts and once I was given a 599 RST, that's over 10,000 miles away, and with a simple wire antenna.

I love DXing at QRP. Sometimes I'm hard to read, but most of the time if I can hear the other station they can hear me fine, sometimes even better than I am reading them.

Honestly, I really do wish I had a directional antenna, as I've been working the same areas in Europe and North America over and over again. I really hanker to work more of Africa and Asia as well as Hawaii. But my time will come, I'm sure. I just don't have the space for radials or a place to put up a tower. :(

72,
Rick
WU1V

Wayne Dillon

The stations taht make me smile are the ones (and there are a few) that run the full legal limit into a G5RV or a short(ish) random wire, then wonder why a particular DX station can't copy them. Oh well...

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 7:35 AM, <sshin02143@...> wrote:

[...]

Dale Putnam

I've found a good deal of change, just by having a second dipole at right angles to the first one.
Maybe that would help?... If there is room. Maybe with bent ends?

Have a great day,

--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy

To: 4sqrp@...
From: sshin02143@...
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 08:35:09 -0400
Subject: [4sqrp] Re: 5 watts

[...]

Tim N9PUZ

On 4/17/2013 7:48 AM, Wayne Dillon wrote:
The stations taht make me smile are the ones (and there are a few) that
run the full legal limit into a G5RV or a short(ish) random wire, then
wonder why a particular DX station can't copy them. Oh well...
72/3 es God Bless de Wayne - KC0PMH
It's an interesting study in human nature that after studying for their license, passing the tests, and participating in this great hobby that there are so many people will ignore the laws of physics and buy big buck radios, amplifiers, etc. to use with tiny, ineffective antennas. I guess it's easier to write a check than it is to think about how you can add the best antler possible for your location.

I wonder if those people "pray" before going on the air?

“PRAY, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.”
-― Ambrose Bierce

73,

Tim N9PUZ

Stephen Roberts <steverob@...>

Amen brother. My ham world changed a billion fold when I got my OCF up 80' in my maple trees. It will remain the best $150 I ever spent in this hobby. Before that I had a Par End Fed cut for 40M sloping up to about 30'.

73
Steve, W1SFR

On Apr 17, 2013, at 9:21 AM, Tim McDonough N9PUZ wrote:

On 4/17/2013 7:48 AM, Wayne Dillon wrote:
> The stations taht make me smile are the ones (and there are a few) that
> run the full legal limit into a G5RV or a short(ish) random wire, then
> wonder why a particular DX station can't copy them. Oh well...
> 72/3 es God Bless de Wayne - KC0PMH

It's an interesting study in human nature that after studying for their
license, passing the tests, and participating in this great hobby that
there are so many people will ignore the laws of physics and buy big
buck radios, amplifiers, etc. to use with tiny, ineffective antennas. I
guess it's easier to write a check than it is to think about how you can
add the best antler possible for your location.

I wonder if those people "pray" before going on the air?

“PRAY, v. To ask that the laws of the universe be annulled in behalf of
a single petitioner confessedly unworthy.”
-― Ambrose Bierce

73,

Tim N9PUZ

Michael McShan <n5jky@...>

I mainly operate CW but occasionally do a foray into SSB.  Once I had been working CW at the 500 mW level for a month or so and decided to tune 20M sideband just to see what was happening.  I heard a CQ and answered the station.  "I'm sorry, OM, you're only 5 by 5 here,"  he told me.  I looked at my rig and saw that I never changed the power level.  So I switched the FT-817 back up to 5W and answered back "how's this now?" "Oh, much better, much better, solid 5 X 9."  Then I told him that he originally copied me at 500 mW and he was amazed.

By the way, the station was NU5DE; you can look them up on QRZ.com.  I did not ask him what he was wearing.

72/73,
Mike N5JKY
OK City

On Apr 17, 2013, at 7:35 AM, sshin02143@... wrote:

I have had that experience too, where the other station is in a state of disbelief about my 5 watts. Often I get a power report from the other station, and I've been told of anywhere from 300 to 900 watts, and I'm doing just fine with my 5!

It all really comes down to propagation doesn't it? I've worked Australia a couple of times at 5 watts and once I was given a 599 RST, that's over 10,000 miles away, and with a simple wire antenna.

72,
Rick
WU1V

Casey

Long go when I would tell the guy I was running QRP, and it seemed like they always got a call for supper. One guy in TX commented up front he had just finished eating. A few minutes later when he heard the QRP word, he says "well 73, there's the dinner bell" ~ WHAT are they scared of, is QRP contagious (well, YES it is).

73 de Keith KC9IH
NAQCC 6165, SKCC 9396,
QRP ARCI 5435, Flying Pigs 2926,
GORC 414, MI QRP 1163, 4SQRP, et al

Wayne Dillon

Keith,
I think what they'er scared of is their "significant other" poking their head into the shack just as you announce 5 Watts here when they are sitting there with a multi-kilo-bucks station and the significant other asks the obvious question..."so why all this?"
Just a thought.
72/3 es Gd Bless de Wayne - KC0PMH

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 1:15 PM, casey kerchner <kc9ih@...> wrote:

[...]

Charlie Vest

I used to be very active at QRP / DXing . One night I remember in particular there were several DX stations on and several locals most running amplifiers . I worked DX station after DX station using good technique and this was in the days of super band conditions . The locals could rarely even make a contact . They even told me I had  to be running at least the legal limit , even though I had sold my only amplifier to one of them .

About an hour or so into this evening of good rare DX and the count piling up , there is a knock at my door . Four of the locals had come down to "catch" me dimming the lights in the neighborhood , only to be shocked to see me being honest and the rig would not even put out a full 5 watts . It has been so long I can't remember but I think I was using my HW-8 .

They were all still scratching their heads even after we took a flashlight outside and I showed them my feedline and double bazooka antennas . They quietly left and I didn't hear them attempt another DX station that night .

Charlie , W5COV

[...]

Cliff Fox (KU4GW)

You hit the nail on the head Keith when you said yes it is contagious! 5 years ago I never operated QRP and then one night I decided to try it in 1 hour of a 2 hour NAQCC Sprint and wow! I worked 23 stations in 17 states with only 5 watts in that hour! I was hooked after that! I don't usually let the other station know if I'm QRP or not unless he tells me he is first and then I tell him. As long as I can hear the guy good enough to have a QSO and he an hear me as well is the main thing. I wouldn't want to ragchew for a hour if I was struggling to hear the other station, but on 80 meters I get very strong signals at night from QRP stations if the band conditions are what I would call normal conditions. I do like the winter time best for QRP from the shack because there's so much less QRN from thunderstorms, but I also like QRPTTF operating in warm weather and April 27th is the first GORC QRPTTF event of the season! The theme is "On the Trails", but even if I don't get to go anywhere to be on a trail I'll be on the back deck with the Hendricks PFR-3A running into my portable ladder line fed 44 feet dipole. Hope to work you in the event!

Very 72,
Cliff - KU4GW
NAQCC 1491, SKCC 652,
Flying Pigs 1183, GORC 399,
MI QRP Skeeter 20, 4SQRP 536,
FISTS 16001, Club72 46

Tom Sevart <n2uhc@...>

On 04/16/2013 21:41, Johnny Matlock wrote:

Ge Dan:
Sometimes the QRO boys will go deaf on you!
You were 599 or so when they heard you and all of a sudden you got lost
in the QSB.
Would you call that "selective hearing"
It is funny how often all of a sudden they can't hear you when they find out you're only running 2 watts.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Stephen Roberts <steverob@...>

Got to love it. Worked Asiatic Russia on 5W with my KX1. 5500 miles.

Steve
W1SFR