Topics

navy knobs

Dg Arnholt <dgarnholt@...>

guys I suppose I am un-American as a ham..i have a rough time sending with a navy knob..i'm used to the j 38 style knob.. how about suggestions as to where to put my fingers for better control:)
as all my current keys have the navy knob style..might as well learn it..tee hee..
ive improved, but its sloppy some times and I prefer good code after all these years.
I can read almost anything..a few guys I never got the call straight I guy in nj comes to mind.. once he sends his name and all you can read it..but is it kb2 ???? lol  one day i'll get it right send a qsl and always know tee hee 73 dennis
wd9dwe skcc 1564T hope to be back qrp very soon.

Walter - K5EST

All the Navy CW circuits I have been on did Not have the bottom skirt on the key knob.

Actually, the knob skirt, so I was told, was to keep the ops fingers from touching the live key contacts. On a rolling and pitching ship it could be a problem in the old days.

My straight keys vary with / without the knob skirt, so I just hold the knob and let the skirt be decorative!

73....Walter . K5EST

On Apr 18, 2013 12:01 PM, "Dg Arnholt" <dgarnholt@...> wrote:

guys I suppose I am un-American as a ham..i have a rough time sending with a navy knob..i'm used to the j 38 style knob.. how about suggestions as to where to put my fingers for better control:)
as all my current keys have the navy knob style..might as well learn it..tee hee..
ive improved, but its sloppy some times and I prefer good code after all these years.
I can read almost anything..a few guys I never got the call straight I guy in nj comes to mind.. once he sends his name and all you can read it..but is it kb2 ???? lol  one day i'll get it right send a qsl and always know tee hee 73 dennis
wd9dwe skcc 1564T hope to be back qrp very soon.

chuck adams <chuck.adams.k7qo@...>

Here is a training film from 1944 on sending with the straight key.

Hope this helps. The code groups in the background were sent
with a straight key.

FYI

chuck, k7qo

<http://tinyurl.com/8yyzk2c>

Stephen Roberts <steverob@...>

I much prefer the navy knob and/or skirt. Index and middle finger on knob and thumb and ring finger on skirt

Steve Roberts

Tom Sevart <n2uhc@...>

On 04/18/2013 12:24, Walter - K5EST wrote:

All the Navy CW circuits I have been on did Not have the bottom skirt on
the key knob.

Actually, the knob skirt, so I was told, was to keep the ops fingers
from touching the live key contacts. On a rolling and pitching ship it
could be a problem in the old days.

My straight keys vary with / without the knob skirt, so I just hold the
knob and let the skirt be decorative!
The first key I started with has a skirt, and i found it useful to place my thumb and ring finger on it when sending. But it's the only key I've got that has a skirt. On the skirtless knobs I just hold my thumb and ring finger on the side of the knob.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

kb4qqj

thumb on skirt, index on top of knob, middle on skirt. slight  squeeze pressure with middle and thumb to control rebound . Index controls down pressure. Just like the old manuals show. Has worked best for me. try several methods and see what gives you best result. Just don't become a "tapper". sounds funny on the dits....... hi hi

Randy_KB4QQJ

On 05/13/2013 21:11, KB4QQJ@aol.com wrote:
thumb on skirt, index on top of knob, middle on skirt. slight squeeze
pressure with middle and thumb to control rebound .
That's the way I do it, except I have index and middle finger on top of the knob and my thumb and ring finger on the skirt. Or, if the key doesn't have a skirt, my thumb and ring finger gently squeeze the side of the knob.

Of course I use paddles far more than I do a straight key, but every once in a while I'll feel like pounding brass.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS