Topics

Mystery project

Tom Sevart <n2uhc@...>

Anyone else have this happen?

I was digging through my electronic junk containers looking for a speaker when I came across a metal candy container. Thinking it was just an empty box I picked it up to put it with other empty boxes. However, this one had something in it. I opened it up to find a Manhattan-built something or other that I built years ago. Unfortunately I can't remember what it was. It's got a polyvaricon tuning cap, a 10.000 MHZ crystal, and TDA7052 audio amp connected to a 3.5mm phone jack.

I think it's a receiver, but I'm not totally sure. I think I'll either need to reverse engineer this, look through all the schematics & projects on my computer, or just try to remember what project this was.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Robert 'RC' Conley <rc.kc5wa@...>

sounds like the VRX-1 receiver

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 8:55 PM, Tom Sevart <n2uhc@...> wrote:

[...]

enjoy the day

Jim Kortge

On 4/23/2013 9:55 PM, Tom Sevart wrote:
Anyone else have this happen?

I was digging through my electronic junk containers looking for a
speaker when I came across a metal candy container. Thinking it was
just an empty box I picked it up to put it with other empty boxes.
However, this one had something in it. I opened it up to find a
Manhattan-built something or other that I built years ago.
Unfortunately I can't remember what it was. It's got a polyvaricon
tuning cap, a 10.000 MHZ crystal, and TDA7052 audio amp connected to a
3.5mm phone jack.

I think it's a receiver, but I'm not totally sure. I think I'll either
need to reverse engineer this, look through all the schematics &
projects on my computer, or just try to remember what project this was.

Tom,

My guess is that it is a direct conversion WWV receiver on 10 MHz.

72,

Jim, K8IQY

Tom Sevart <n2uhc@...>

On 04/23/2013 20:59, Robert 'RC' Conley wrote:

sounds like the VRX-1 receiver
I was thinking SS-40, but the schematic and parts list is vastly different. I thought it was the SS-40 I did a beta build on, but now I remember I beta built the VRX-1 and I replaced the crystal with a 10.000 MHZ crystal to see if I could pick up WWV on it. I don't remember if I changed some of the other components for 10 MHZ or not.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Michael McShan <n5jky@...>

Maybe you were building something like the autodyne receiver Nick WA5BDU described:

https://sites.google.com/site/kennnick/autodynereceiver

Mike N5JKY
OK City

On Apr 23, 2013, at 9:11 PM, Tom Sevart <n2uhc@rlrnews.com> wrote:

On 04/23/2013 20:59, Robert 'RC' Conley wrote:

sounds like the VRX-1 receiver
I was thinking SS-40, but the schematic and parts list is vastly
different. I thought it was the SS-40 I did a beta build on, but now I
remember I beta built the VRX-1 and I replaced the crystal with a 10.000
MHZ crystal to see if I could pick up WWV on it. I don't remember if I
changed some of the other components for 10 MHZ or not.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Michael McShan <n5jky@...>

Obviously, I need more coffee this morning before I makes replies!

72,
Mike N5JKY

On Apr 24, 2013, at 8:55 AM, Michael McShan <n5jky@me.com> wrote:

Maybe you were building something like the autodyne receiver Nick WA5BDU described:

https://sites.google.com/site/kennnick/autodynereceiver

Mike N5JKY
OK City

On Apr 23, 2013, at 9:11 PM, Tom Sevart <n2uhc@rlrnews.com> wrote:

On 04/23/2013 20:59, Robert 'RC' Conley wrote:

sounds like the VRX-1 receiver
I was thinking SS-40, but the schematic and parts list is vastly
different. I thought it was the SS-40 I did a beta build on, but now I
remember I beta built the VRX-1 and I replaced the crystal with a 10.000
MHZ crystal to see if I could pick up WWV on it. I don't remember if I
changed some of the other components for 10 MHZ or not.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

Tom <n2uhc@...>

Well I made sure to write "VRX-1" on the bottom side of the PC board so I won't forget what it is again. Now to experiment with it...

Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS

davidgeorgerichards

The VRX-1 didn't have a 10MHz crystal - you must have already done some experimenting with it!

Happy modding/experimenting :-)

Dave
AA7EE

On 04/24/2013 11:48, Dave AA7EE wrote:

The VRX-1 didn't have a 10MHz crystal - you must have already done some
experimenting with it!
Yeah I think I was interested in turning it into a WWV receiver.

--
Tom Sevart N2UHC
St. Paul, KS